Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM

17 posts, read 37,805 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!(this is my first post so bear with me )

I'll be graduating in May with a degree in Nonprofit Administration/Social Welfare from a state school in Kentucky. Since Nashville has the most developed nonprofit community in the state, I plan on moving to the area soon after graduation. According to the research that I've done, many of the nonprofit agencies are located in the metro area. I do not mind a short commute, and have $800-850 budget for living expenses. Any recommendations? Ideally I would like to live in an area that's safe, affordable and a short distance from many of the cities amenities. I'm 24, African-American, and gay if that demographic information would be useful.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:17 AM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
It will be very difficult -- if not impossible -- to find anything in that price range that will be safe and affordable and a short distance from Nashville's amenities. Between the market crash that pushed a lot of people out of homeownership and into rentals and the recent popularity of Nashville as an "it" city, rents near downtown have increased dramatically.

Something will have to give unless you're willing to have a roommate or two.

Nashville isn't the bargain it used to be.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:22 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
You may want to wait until you know where you'll be working before zeroing in on a specific location if at all feasible. It'll be pretty difficult to gauge your commute times without knowing where you'll be working in the metro. That said, I would check out areas like Bellevue, Nippers Corner, Hermitage or Antioch if want to live alone and prefer the large apartment complexes with amenities. These are all essentially suburbs within the city (Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County), but they are a reasonable drive into the popular spots closer to the core. They all have tons of apartment complexes and should have some reasonably safe ones in your budget.

If you're not opposed to a unit in a house or a smaller, older apartment building, then you may be able to find something in a decent neighborhood closer to the core if you're extremely diligent about your search. As mad fiddler implied, the housing market here is very competitive at the moment regardless of whether you're renting or buying. I also agree that you should consider a roommate especially if you want to be in or near one of the trendier areas like Midtown where many of the popular gay bars & clubs are located.

Old 04-18-2014, 04:20 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
When you say $800 - $850 for "living expenses" - do you mean RENT only? Or are you including utilities (cable, internet, electricity) and gas for the car and food in that $850? If so, then yes, you'll definitely need a roommate or two. And yes, good idea to find out where you'll be working before looking for housing. The city is kinda spread out . . . best of luck!

Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbitiousTN View Post
Hello Everyone!(this is my first post so bear with me )

I'll be graduating in May with a degree in Nonprofit Administration/Social Welfare from a state school in Kentucky. Since Nashville has the most developed nonprofit community in the state, I plan on moving to the area soon after graduation. According to the research that I've done, many of the nonprofit agencies are located in the metro area. I do not mind a short commute, and have $800-850 budget for living expenses. Any recommendations? Ideally I would like to live in an area that's safe, affordable and a short distance from many of the cities amenities. I'm 24, African-American, and gay if that demographic information would be useful.

Thanks so much!

I would recommend the East Nashville area.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
It will be very difficult -- if not impossible -- to find anything in that price range that will be safe and affordable and a short distance from Nashville's amenities. Between the market crash that pushed a lot of people out of homeownership and into rentals and the recent popularity of Nashville as an "it" city, rents near downtown have increased dramatically.

Something will have to give unless you're willing to have a roommate or two.

Nashville isn't the bargain it used to be.
I actually wouldn't mind living in an area like Antioch or Franklin. I spent my life before college living in Jackson Tennessee so I'm familiar with more of the area but not really the rental/housing market per se.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
You may want to wait until you know where you'll be working before zeroing in on a specific location if at all feasible. It'll be pretty difficult to gauge your commute times without knowing where you'll be working in the metro. That said, I would check out areas like Bellevue, Nippers Corner, Hermitage or Antioch if want to live alone and prefer the large apartment complexes with amenities. These are all essentially suburbs within the city (Nashville is consolidated with Davidson County), but they are a reasonable drive into the popular spots closer to the core. They all have tons of apartment complexes and should have some reasonably safe ones in your budget.

If you're not opposed to a unit in a house or a smaller, older apartment building, then you may be able to find something in a decent neighborhood closer to the core if you're extremely diligent about your search. As mad fiddler implied, the housing market here is very competitive at the moment regardless of whether you're renting or buying. I also agree that you should consider a roommate especially if you want to be in or near one of the trendier areas like Midtown where many of the popular gay bars & clubs are located.
I was actually looking at apartments in all of the areas you mentioned. In undergrad I spent some time in a large apartment style community and it was enjoyable for the most part. I didn't really plan on living very close to downtown. I know that the public transit system in Nashville is kind of spotty so I don't mind a short commute.

I'm not really a drinker so visiting bars is more so for the atmosphere and fellowshipping. It sucks moving to a new city and not knowing a single person.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
When you say $800 - $850 for "living expenses" - do you mean RENT only? Or are you including utilities (cable, internet, electricity) and gas for the car and food in that $850? If so, then yes, you'll definitely need a roommate or two. And yes, good idea to find out where you'll be working before looking for housing. The city is kinda spread out . . . best of luck!
Hey! The $850 is just for rent. I have a job that will transfer me to Nashville after graduation until I find something in my chosen career field. I apologize if I should have been more clear!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
The place I usually recommend in Franklin is up to $950 a month now . . . you might try Padmapper. It has apartments by location:

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville