Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone living in Portland could shed some light on the nonprofit job opportunities there. I recently visited and was so impressed by the attitude towards the homeless, the creative, etc. I've lived in Dallas suburbs all my life and although we're supposed to have that whole "Southern hospitality" thing going on, I've never felt it. I currently help manage nonprofit associations and I'm looking to go into development or program assistance positions. I've found more jobs than I expected in Portland while just browsing, but I'm wondering how stable things seem in this sector there. Some of the jobs I have found are with nationwide organizations, but still...I don't want to be one of those that moves and two months later ends up stuck without a job. Anyone have any insight?

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:42 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
While I can't comment specifically on the non-profit sector, I can tell yu that things are really tough here right now. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and money for non-profits, as well as everything else, is drying up. There are several threads on this forum you should probably read. If I were you, I would look up the specific organizations that interest you and call them. Get a first hand and local take on how things stand. Good luck to you.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM

295 posts, read 1,179,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
While I can't comment specifically on the non-profit sector, I can tell yu that things are really tough here right now. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country and money for non-profits, as well as everything else, is drying up. There are several threads on this forum you should probably read. If I were you, I would look up the specific organizations that interest you and call them. Get a first hand and local take on how things stand. Good luck to you.

I could not agree more! I work in the staffing arena in Portland and I can tell you for sure that every sector is being affected by the unemployment. Non Profit is getting hit really hard too - if you do a search on Oregonlive you will find that many of the non profits are actually having their funding cut. Oregon is cutting programs left and right.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,850 times
Thanks for the responses, guys! I've ready the forums daily. I was just really impressed by the work of the nonprofits I saw up there, so I figured I'd look into it. I've found a lot of positions in Dallas, but they're primarily Exec level. Portland had more fitting my experience level when I did a search. I'll probably try calling some organizations there directly to learn more about their individual situations. Great idea! Don't worry...I have no plans to move without a job just to be in Portland, or even anywhere near there with the way things are right now. Although- Americorps is not out of the question. I saw that many of your organizations are hiring VISTAs due to Obama's national service bill. I've always wanted to do that and now would be a great time. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland