Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Dude, dry powdery biscuits versus uber calorie dense, gooey ring of unadulterated carbohydrates sandwiched over copious amount of cream cheese? Nahhhhhhh
Dry and powdery? That's because you're eating Yankee biscuits. Good biscuits are buttery and flaky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:21 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree with nashvols that if you're down here, you should eat the food from down here (biscuits), not look for a NE food (bagels) that probably won't compare. If your biscuits were dry and powdery, they were wrong. Hot biscuits +butter+jelly = <3

So here is what I would suggest for strictly Franklin-oriented meal plan:

Breakfast:

Puffy Muffin or Puckett's
(I like picking up an almond ring to go from Merridee's, but I hate eating there, walking up to the counter to order, the chaos of waiting in line and finding a table, and the disposable plates.)

Lunch

Oscar's Taco (Get the Carne Asada Quesadilla - trust me)
Basil (for conveyor belt sushi)
Cool Cafe (cafeteria-style meat and three)

Dinner

Saffire
Mere Bulles
Wild Ginger (if you haven't had sushi yet)

FWIW
Thanks for th recommendations. We will definitely be trying biscuits, but I'm just as curious as laying the "bagels suck down south" myth to rest--true or false.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Dry and powdery? That's because you're eating Yankee biscuits. Good biscuits are buttery and flaky.
LMAO. Touche.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:27 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgiegirl View Post
For about the first 7 years I lived in TN, having moved from the northeast, I ordered all my bagels from NYC - overnight fed ex.
H&H bagels
1 800 NY BAGEL

they freeze great, and you can also order on line.
We ordered about 3 or 4 dozen at a time!
OMG! Thanks for this!!!!! I hate biscuits and would fly to NYC to shop, see a show and eat real bagels.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:46 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Thanks for th recommendations. We will definitely be trying biscuits, but I'm just as curious as laying the "bagels suck down south" myth to rest--true or false.

LMAO. Touche.
People are regional food snobs. New Yorkers talk about not being able to get "authentic" NY style pizza down here, or bagels, or deli sandwiches, etc, etc.

The same could be said for a southerner trying to find "authentic" southern style bbq, or biscuits, or whatnot in New York. There are probably some decent places, but the southern food snob won't be impressed.

There are definitely some trade-offs when it comes to moving. One thing is food. But that's not always a bad thing (unless you eat nothing but your region's specialties). There are plenty of new things to try. My guess is you'll like some, and you'll not like others.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,776 times
Quote:
Noooooo. Any viable substitutes?
I get the Ray's New York Bagels & also Bialy in the frozen section of Publix!

Old 05-28-2014, 02:09 PM

WOW. What a fantastic place. We had an amazing time and loved Franklin even more in person than on paper. Thanks to everyone on this forum for answering so many of my questions over the last few months--I felt like I already knew the place before I got there. It was nice to put everything into perspective.

Franklin resonates well with us, matching our energy perfectly. A lot of restaurants (all delicious BTW), our type of night life, extremely friendly people, neighborhoods that look and feel exactly how we want it, close enough to the city, close enough to nothingness, family friendly, music everywhere. LOVED IT.

Historic Franklin reminded us a lot of Port Jefferson (minus the port) on Long Island: a walkable, family/pet friendly Main St with the Old town look and feel. The outdoor seating is perfect in the evening when the sun starts to go down. The Red Pony has by FAR the best burger I have ever had in my life. The ground steak is brilliant and it was well executed.

All the food we had (including pizza and bagels) was awesome. House of India is some of the better Indian food we've had--their green chili garlic naan is crack....or do I say, meth?

One thing I found odd is how popular cream cheese is in the sushi down there. Pretty much the only roll with cream cheese in the north is a Philadelphia Roll. The original place we had planned on going to was closed memorial day so we ended up at Sake which was very good. The Ginger something place had great rating but we thought the menu sucked. It didn't sound like sushi at all. Just a bunch of asian fusiony things thrown together into a roll, so, we passed.

Saffire was good. The fried avocado was neat (and yummy) and the bourbon selection good. Overall though, for not much more money, I would rather have Red Pony. The atmosphere at saffire is very unique though. One of the cooler places I have been.

The owner of Franklin Gun Shop was beynd nice (like everyone). Even after my wife said we were just looking around and from "out of state" he still talked to us for half an hour about different neighborhoods, schools, hiking/biking trails, etc etc.

We are so happy we rented a Mustang convertible because the weather was perfect for it. When we move one of those may need to find its way into our garage.

Our favorite subdivisions were Founders Point, Polk and Sullivan something (there's a bunch).

When we first move we will most likely move into the Carrington Hills apartments. very nice and reasonably priced.

Loved the Broadway area in Nashville. Lots of music, lots of people. Felt extremely safe.No stupid dress codes. No train back to Franklin is annoying though.

We checked out Thompsons station and decided it is way too small town for us at this point in life. It's gorgeous, but, we need more going on. We also checked out Brentwood. Again, very pretty, but not as much going on and in this case it was uncomfortably wealthy. Even if we could find a house in our budget, we feel it would be better for our future kids to go to school with kids of similar economic backgrounds.

It really sucked to leave. We cannot wait to come back. Hopefully forever next time

Old 05-28-2014, 02:17 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
WOW. What a fantastic place. We had an amazing time and loved Franklin even more in person than on paper. Thanks to everyone on this forum for answering so many of my questions over the last few months--I felt like I already knew the place before I got there. It was nice to put everything into perspective.

Franklin resonates well with us, matching our energy perfectly. A lot of restaurants (all delicious BTW), our type of night life, extremely friendly people, neighborhoods that look and feel exactly how we want it, close enough to the city, close enough to nothingness, family friendly, music everywhere. LOVED IT.

Historic Franklin reminded us a lot of Port Jefferson (minus the port) on Long Island: a walkable, family/pet friendly Main St with the Old town look and feel. The outdoor seating is perfect in the evening when the sun starts to go down. The Red Pony has by FAR the best burger I have ever had in my life. The ground steak is brilliant and it was well executed.

All the food we had (including pizza and bagels) was awesome. House of India is some of the better Indian food we've had--their green chili garlic naan is crack....or do I say, meth?

One thing I found odd is how popular cream cheese is in the sushi down there. Pretty much the only roll with cream cheese in the north is a Philadelphia Roll. The original place we had planned on going to was closed memorial day so we ended up at Sake which was very good. The Ginger something place [Wild Ginger?] had great rating but we thought the menu sucked. It didn't sound like sushi at all. Just a bunch of asian fusiony things thrown together into a roll, so, we passed.

Saffire was good. The fried avocado was neat (and yummy) and the bourbon selection good. Overall though, for not much more money, I would rather have Red Pony. The atmosphere at saffire is very unique though. One of the cooler places I have been.

The owner of Franklin Gun Shop was beynd nice (like everyone). Even after my wife said we were just looking around and from "out of state" he still talked to us for half an hour about different neighborhoods, schools, hiking/biking trails, etc etc.

We are so happy we rented a Mustang convertible because the weather was perfect for it. When we move one of those may need to find its way into our garage.

Our favorite subdivisions were Founders Point, Polk Place and Sullivan Farms something (there's a bunch).

When we first move we will most likely move into the Carrington Hills apartments. very nice and reasonably priced.

Loved the Broadway area in Nashville. Lots of music, lots of people. Felt extremely safe.No stupid dress codes. No train back to Franklin is annoying though.

We checked out Thompsons station and decided it is way too small town for us at this point in life. It's gorgeous, but, we need more going on. We also checked out Brentwood. Again, very pretty, but not as much going on and in this case it was uncomfortably wealthy. Even if we could find a house in our budget, we feel it would be better for our future kids to go to school with kids of similar economic backgrounds.

It really sucked to leave. We cannot wait to come back. Hopefully forever next time
Glad it was successful. Now you know.

I added some edits above that I hope are correct for future reference.
Thanks for the update.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Glad it was successful. Now you know.

I added some edits above that I hope are correct for future reference.
Thanks for the update.
Ah yes, Wild Ginger. Will check that out next time, but wanted to get a baseline for conventional sushi.

I was going to say Sullivan Farms, but I also saw Chase, Downs and some others--not sure exactly which one.

Also to add: Yes, the biscuits in TN are amazing. The grits we had at Red Pony were ridiculous. The bacon appetizer was like nothing I have ever seen. Essentially it's a bacon steak. droolll.

Loved how even the frozen yogurt place had live music. Maybe just a Holiday weekend thing, but it was really cool.

We ended up a Dotsons for breakfast instead of the diner at Leipers fork (although we did eventually make the drive out there to check out the beauty of TN). Fried chicken omlette was great.

Hot chicken sandwich and Brisket Tacos at 55 South were incredible as well.

Made it to the Vineyards, Fort Granger, the plantation as well as some other stuff I can't remember. All in all, very productive trip.

VVV the Misses excited for the impending wine tastting. Ended up with a bottle of Reisling for the hotel as well.

My Type A wife...-imag0310.jpg

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,518 times
Those are the same subdivisions we looked at when we were looking in Franklin. One more subdivision that I didn't see on your list that you might want to consider is Cheswicke Farms. It is literally 2 minutes from I-65 off the McEwen exit AND, there is a walking trail off the back of the subdivision that goes right to the Whole Foods shopping center... also in the Whole Foods shopping center is BrickTops, PeiWei, a nice little wine shop and lots of other trendy little shops my wife seems to love...

Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Ah yes, Wild Ginger. Will check that out next time, but wanted to get a baseline for conventional sushi.

I was going to say Sullivan Farms, but I also saw Chase, Downs and some others--not sure exactly which one.

Also to add: Yes, the biscuits in TN are amazing. The grits we had at Red Pony were ridiculous. The bacon appetizer was like nothing I have ever seen. Essentially it's a bacon steak. droolll.

Loved how even the frozen yogurt place had live music. Maybe just a Holiday weekend thing, but it was really cool.

We ended up a Dotsons for breakfast instead of the diner at Leipers fork (although we did eventually make the drive out there to check out the beauty of TN). Fried chicken omlette was great.

Hot chicken sandwich and Brisket Tacos at 55 South were incredible as well.

Made it to the Vineyards, Fort Granger, the plantation as well as some other stuff I can't remember. All in all, very productive trip.

VVV the Misses excited for the impending wine tastting. Ended up with a bottle of Reisling for the hotel as well.

Attachment 130612
Nice photo. Y'all did luck out weather-wise.

All my friends who work in planning keep trying to preach that millenials and "young folk" don't want to move to the suburbs, that they all pine for city living and that the dreaded 'burbs are drying up and dying on the vine (to continue our vineyard theme.)

I just SMH because I know better. I see the people who are moving here, and they aren't all 55+. These suburbs aren't perfect by planning standards, but they sure as hell aren't dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville