Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,344 times

Advertisements

planning on selling the house up north and moving to the tax friendly state....my wife is a court reporter.and I am a truck driver..can anyone advise the best cities where the work would be for those professions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:33 PM

35,087 posts, read 31,339,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan vaccaro View Post
planning on selling the house up north and moving to the tax friendly state....my wife is a court reporter.and I am a truck driver..can anyone advise the best cities where the work would be for those professions.....
Not trying to be rude, but we get a lot of these posts on the TN boards from northerners that have next to no information, and you need to provide more information for us to help at all. Do you want to live closer to the city or out in the country? What part of the state? What's your budget? Do you want to rent or buy immediately? Do you have kids or care about schools? Do you want a house, condo, or apartment?

In general, the Nashville area is the best for most employment opportunities, followed by Knoxville, with most of the rest of the state really struggling. The job market in most of TN for most fields is still very weak.

Lower taxes are nice, but you need to take a trip and actually like the area.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:04 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,745,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Not trying to be rude, but we get a lot of these posts on the TN boards from northerners that have next to no information, and you need to provide more information for us to help at all. Do you want to live closer to the city or out in the country? What part of the state? What's your budget? Do you want to rent or buy immediately? Do you have kids or care about schools? Do you want a house, condo, or apartment?

In general, the Nashville area is the best for most employment opportunities, followed by Knoxville, with most of the rest of the state really struggling. The job market in most of TN for most fields is still very weak.

Lower taxes are nice, but you need to take a trip and actually like the area.
Yeh, you sound rude.

What kind of advice can you give about Nashville or Middle Tennessee? You don't live here, nor have your EVER lived here. He asked this in the Nashville forum.

We like Northerners just fine here.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Yeh, you sound rude.

What kind of advice can you give about Nashville or Middle Tennessee? You don't live here, nor have your EVER lived here. He asked this in the Nashville forum.

We like Northerners just fine here.
I don't think they sound rude at all. I think they were just saying, we get a a lot requests for information with little or no parameters to advise. This thread is a perfect example.

There are no less than 5+ threads about moving to the Nashville area from New York in the last week alone. Few if any of those posters appear to have done any type of search on the Nashville thread before posting. It gets frustrating to see the exact same questions asked over and over again, all lacking the same fundamental information needed to respond with any kind of accuracy.

It's to the point where I wish that there was some sort of process a person had to go through to ask relocation questions on this forum.

- Have you done a search to see if your question has already been answered?

- Have you included the following information in your question:
- Budget
- Unique family needs
- Prioritized wants

I think it is rude to come in here and ask questions with what looks to be zero prior research.

and for the record, no, we don't all like Northerners here.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:24 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,476,232 times
Bless everyone's heart.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Bless everyone's heart.

Ha ha ha.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM

20,349 posts, read 19,941,445 times
I don't think Emigration's question was rude but was instead both serious and realistic.

There is no shortage of people who left highly taxed and culturally different states to one of lower taxes and discovered, much to their disappointment, the lifestyle and cultural differences were too much for them and/or a spouse.

Some, in order to make it work, adapt by avoiding the locals and finding like-minded transplants to associate with.

Pulling up stakes and relocating one's self and family to another part of the country is no trivial matter. Being "cheaper" is just one part of the equation.

Last edited by doc1; 08-04-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 08-04-2014, 02:01 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Bless everyone's heart.
Would rep you again if I could.

To me, I didn't even read it as the open-ended "where should I live" question that's posted so often, it read more like a jobs question.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:18 AM

12 posts, read 11,371 times
You will have no problem getting work in those two fields. Nashville is the State Capitol with a large legal presence. There are a multitude of truck companies in the area. All of them are hiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville