Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:46 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Just because there aren't a lot of busts in a particular area doesn't necessarily mean they aren't a problem. A lot of arrests could simply mean the local law enforcement is more dedicated to cleaning up that particular problem.
They might also have more funds and resources allocated for this ......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 05:04 PM

130 posts, read 210,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
They might also have more funds and resources allocated for this ......
Very True. Or, the low bust-count counties are too busy "busting" speeders....

Old 09-13-2014, 07:55 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Thanks for the catch, JMT. I mistyped, thinking about McMinnville and typing "McMinn County,"

I will edit my other post.
Oh it's an easy mistake! Tennessee is full of oddities like that: Shelbyville is not in Shelby County, McMinnville is not in McMinn County, Franklin is not in Franklin County, Smithville is not in Smith County, etc.

At any rate, yes meth is a big problem in rural Tennessee (as it is in much of rural America). For some reason Tennessee's "meth belt" goes from about Putnam and Cumberland counties south through Warren County and then heads southeast through Grundy County and then covers much of Southeast Tennessee. Why there are more meth labs (or more meth arrests?) in this area is anyone's guess. It's certainly not the only part of the state that is impoverished and has very remote locations.

While I'm not too concerned about the impact this would have on my daily life, it does make things like looking for real estate more interesting. From what I understand, it costs a fortune to clean up a former meth lab. Anyone looking at cheap mobile homes in rural Tennessee should probably be very careful. Likewise, I've heard that some meth heads will turn cheap motel rooms into temporary meth labs, so I'd probably avoid the el cheapo motels, too. A law enforcement friend of mine in Jackson County told me that meth labs smell like cat urine, so if you smell cat urine around a motel room, you should probably look elsewhere.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-13-2014, 10:29 PM

914 posts, read 1,984,280 times
I work in a hospital and deal with drug users on a daily basis, and I have never understood the obsession with meth labs and meth use by the public at large. Meth probably ranks fourth among drugs used from my experience (I'm excluding alcohol and marijuana). Prescription opioids like hydrocodone/oxycodone/morphine/dilaudid are by far the most abused drugs in this area and they do infinitely more harm than meth. After the the prescription opioids heroin is the next largest offender. Heroin is making a comeback after 15 years of decline, and it is killing people on a daily basis in this area. Third on the list is cocaine and crack cocaine. After that is methamphetamine. In rural areas the cocaine to methamphetamine ratio may change, but heroin and opioids are by far the most abused drugs. Another category is a catch all that probably rivals meth as a drug of abuse and that is the designer drugs: ecstasy, molly, "synthetic" marijuana, bath salts and other like those.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
^^^
I agree that certain drugs are more damaging to the user, but I think part of the reason for the spotlight on meth is the potential collateral damage to others -- meth lab explosions, buildings being condemned, burn victims from said explosions...

It may not be *worse* statistically, but it's easier to paint a scary picture that could affect YOU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville