Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 09:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,976 times

Advertisements

First let me apologize for anything that may be a repeat question. I tried searching for one that would closely match what I wanted & didn't see anything.

I am being relocated to Nashville to start working at T Mobile as of 1-13-07. I currently live on the VA/NC border just north of Greensboro (aka middle of nowhere). I will be bringing w/me a 1yr old child, a fiancee & 2 kitty-cats. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have looked online for places only to find out the perfect place to rent was income restricted to the point I would need about 5 more ppl & my cats would have to be listed as people as well in order to qualify. Due to the quick nature of the move I am not sure if I will be doing a corp housing for a wk or two then moving the family up or how that will work out. I literally just got the "You start on X day" call about 4 hrs ago.

We are looking for anything to rent that's in a neighborhood where we can let the small ones outside to play w/o fear of harm to them from what's in the environment. Must accept pets & not charge us $800 for a deposit for them both. Preferably not more than a 10-15 min commute from work, which from what I've gathered so far is almost directly across from the Nashville Zoo @ Grassmere. Rental cost could go as high as $850 depending on what all is included & cool features.

Thank you all so much in advance & I look forward to your replies!

~Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM

32 posts, read 133,466 times
I wouldnt live near the Zoo. That area can be a little suspect. I dont belive Nashville is a dangerous city, but the area you are refering to isnt what I would consider the best.

I'd check out some of the more suburban areas. I lived in apartments in both Hermitage and Donelson and paid within your price range both times. You may even be able to rent a house or duplex for that much. I'd also check out some of the apartments in the Nippers Corner area.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,754 times
Default relocating

Welcome,,,well soon,,I would suggest the Goodlettsville area,,,it is affordable, good schools, safe, clean, and great shopping,,,hope that helps

Old 12-27-2007, 01:27 PM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
Have you tried craiglist.com yet? I typed in your criteria and was able to pull up some rentals that may be good options for you. Since you have a small child, you'll have to be pickier in the neighborhoods which immediately surround the Nashville Zoo. However, I wouldn't necessarily rule out some of the nearby apartment complexes as some probably are not bad and you're likely to find great deal within your price range.

Since you're looking for a 10-15 minute commute, I'd also highly recommend the Nipper's Corner area. It'll be the area a few miles south of where you'll be working centered around Old Hickory Blvd. and Edmonson Pike. There are a number of apartment complexes there and that area seems to have a better reputation than the Woodbine and Glencliff areas which are immediately surround the zoo.

If you're serious about staying within a 10-15 commute, then Brentwood and Antioch should also be options. Brentwood has an outstanding reputation but you may pay more for less space. You're going to hear a varied range of opinions on Antioch but it's a large part of Southeast Nashville with good and bad complexes. You should easily find a good deal within your price range but I'd do some research about the particular apartment complex or building you're considering in that area. In fact, for your own benefit, you should do this no matter what parts of town you're considering. Check out apartmentratings.com and read resident comments there but take their opinion with a grain of salt.

You may also consider Donelson, Hermitage or Bellevue which will also offer spacious apartments. Your commute will be a little longer for any of these areas depending on if it's a good or bad traffic day. The traffic here, in general, will likely be a big adjustment from Greensboro.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
There are tons of Apartment complexes off Old Hickory and Edmonson Pike. They continue to Nolensville Road. You want to be closer to Old Hickory Blvd as its a better area. The ones that are closer to Nolensville Road cost less, but when you see it you will know why.
A friend is in Arbors of Brentwood, which is a complex off that road. She said its good.
Thesr are no more than 10 min from the Zoo.
Diane

Last edited by Diane Giam; 12-30-2007 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Additional Information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville