Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:09 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,553,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
That's a pretty extreme reaction to people who haven't even been through their school board training yet. I have some concerns about them wanting to oust Dr. Looney, but have been told that's not true. Either way, I will spend my time contacting them to express my views. Talking about moving out of state because half the school board was replaced seems a huge, melodramatic over reaction at this point.
It is dire. They are out to destroy our schools. We are about 12 mos behind Jefferson County CO. Like Jeffco our new school board was backed/paid for by Americans for Prosperity. There are secret emails that were leaked about getting rid of Dr. Looney and I have genuine concerns they are out to destroy the schools so they can bring in vouchers and charters.

Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM

65 posts, read 95,625 times
Don't know how this thread turned into a school and religious argument, but let me try again ,
Would you as a northern transplant do it again if given the choice, in other words are you happy you moved to Nashville?

Ok, let's try to keep this simple. Lol

Thanks guys and gals

Old 10-09-2014, 09:34 PM

201 posts, read 320,387 times
Only thing I would change is a little of the planning and timing. Both of those things fall on us though and not because of the big move. We came from Canada so it was a little more of a headache than just crossing internal borders. But we love it and will stay as long as y'all will let us!

Old 10-10-2014, 05:03 AM

223 posts, read 583,698 times
I have no regrets over my decision to move here. Having spent my entire working life in CT and then IL to come down here was really leaving the stress bowl behind. People are friendlier than in IL and forget CT - horrible. I don't find religion to be an issue at all. I am not a church goer and have found other avenues to meet people and make friends. I think the biggest thing whenever you move is to realize that YOU must adjust to the changes in the way things are done and the culture involved. Don't expect the area to change to what you are use to.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:28 AM

473 posts, read 522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape From NY View Post
Don't know how this thread turned into a school and religious argument, but let me try again ,
Would you as a northern transplant do it again if given the choice, in other words are you happy you moved to Nashville?

Ok, let's try to keep this simple. Lol

Thanks guys and gals
Except for many Northerners it IS about schools and religion. The elected school board chair (maker of the Buttle Opener) wrote in The Tennessean that "political correctness is a stain upon our great nation." At the top of his agenda? Changing the "winter break" to a "Christmas break." That issue has long been put to bed in most of the country.

I'm with Septimus. If the extremists are allowed to tell me how I should educate MY children in a PUBLIC education system, we will leave. The moderates will leave and the nutjobs will be running the asylum.

But what else do you want to know OP? How much we like the weather?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:06 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,553,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post
Except for many Northerners it IS about schools and religion. The elected school board chair (maker of the Buttle Opener) wrote in The Tennessean that "political correctness is a stain upon our great nation." At the top of his agenda? Changing the "winter break" to a "Christmas break." That issue has long been put to bed in most of the country.

I'm with Septimus. If the extremists are allowed to tell me how I should educate MY children in a PUBLIC education system, we will leave. The moderates will leave and the nutjobs will be running the asylum.

My world revolves around my kids and I will make the best decision for my kids. I can't separate out what is happening in the local political realm from the ease of daily living here because it directly impacts my family. It is disturbing. 90% of the people relocating to Williamson County do so for the schools. The other 9% are here because their grandchildren are here for the schools and 1% just like the location.

Do you really think the corporate relocations to the area will continue if we are known as extremists? There is a reason Tennessee is more attractive to companies relocating than Mississippi and Alabama and that reason is about to be destroyed.

Back during the downturn, I was always very impressed that TN was one of the few states that didn't cut funding for education despite a tight budget, but now we have extremists trying to experiment with the best system in the state.

I'm not one for conspiracy theories but this one scares me. www.medium.com/@williamsonsecrets

Old 10-10-2014, 07:13 AM

722 posts, read 2,102,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoBNA View Post

Oh, you wont find anything like that back up in New York.

To the OP, unfortunately, it always does go back to the debates because of the overall different mindsets between the Northeast and the South. Although changing the break back to Christmas break from winter break isn't at the top of my priorities, it does symbolize the uber political correctness that goes on in other parts of the USA.

Back to the topic, I am much happier living in the South but as said perfectly a few posts above, its about you adjusting to the new surroundings, not the people here needing to adjust to make transplants happy. If I were to guess, I think you are going to find somewhere near a 50-50 split on those who would like to stay vs. those who would/want to go back.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:33 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,837,879 times
One of the worst experiences in my life. I don't know if it was where I lived, but I got out of Tennessee as fast as I could. Check my older posts on here and stay out of Lebanon in Wilson County for sure. I still have people down there that say it's got worse than when I was trying to survive there for 4 1/2 years.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,087,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
One of the worst experiences in my life. I don't know if it was where I lived, but I got out of Tennessee as fast as I could. Check my older posts on here and stay out of Lebanon in Wilson County for sure. I still have people down there that say it's got worse than when I was trying to survive there for 4 1/2 years.
Yes, it was where you lived. Lebanon is garbage.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:52 AM

473 posts, read 522,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
To the OP, unfortunately, it always does go back to the debates because of the overall different mindsets between the Northeast and the South. Although changing the break back to Christmas break from winter break isn't at the top of my priorities, it does symbolize the uber political correctness that goes on in other parts of the USA.

Back to the topic, I am much happier living in the South but as said perfectly a few posts above, its about you adjusting to the new surroundings, not the people here needing to adjust to make transplants happy. If I were to guess, I think you are going to find somewhere near a 50-50 split on those who would like to stay vs. those who would/want to go back.
No. What it symbolizes is there is a segment of the population (not everyone, probably not even most people) who do not care about diversity and in fact would prefer that the area stay completely homogeneous.

So there's a tension there. Where I'm from, we welcome the fact that not everyone celebrates Christmas, for example. Aside from the schools, that's the main thing that gets me: the lack of celebration for diversity, and more than that, the idea that anyone who is different has to conform. And because MOST people fit the mold, these issues aren't "at the top of [their] priorities." It's easy to dismiss it as "political correctness" if you yourself are part of the majority. Because you aren't made to feel unwelcome. So nothing will change.

I know the OP said that he (or she?) is sick of the liberal policies in New York. But there's nothing like coming to a place that's 180 degrees in the opposite direction to realize that maybe you're more moderate than you thought. That certainly happened to our neighbors from California. They were California-conservatives but as soon as they moved to real conservative country, they realized that, no, actually, this is a little too extreme for them. I think they're overall happy here but something like the school issue (and it's not just about what we call our breaks -- it's the textbooks we use, how we teach evolution, abstinence-only education, arming teachers, etc.) could be a tipping point for people like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville