Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 AM

65 posts, read 95,543 times

Advertisements

Simply put, do you have any regrets on your relocation to the Nashville area?
In other words, now that you're there, if you could go back in time , would you do it again?

I know that a lot goes into these feelings, but I'm just looking for a heartfelt response here.
As I always say you guys and gals are great and I truly appreciate all your responses.

PS (to the locals, don't worry, not bringing any liberal views to your area, just the opposite actually.
Looking to escape this NY liberalism.)

Last edited by Escape From NY; 10-09-2014 at 06:40 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 10-09-2014, 07:13 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,871 times
It took me a while to adjust, but now I love it, but I seriously considering moving back East because of the current situation with the schools in Williamson County. The best schools in the state have been hijacked by extremist and I'm very concerned.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:11 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I arrived the weekend of the "Big Flood" in 2010 so it took a while to get cable but not to adjust. Oh, except the employees at Publix were always offering to help me . . THAT took a bit of adjustment.

I moved from CT and MA and am very happy here. No kids so can't speak to the schools. It's very pretty, folks are mostly over the top friendly, lots to do . . .

So, no, would not hit the "undo" button.

Only other place I would like to live (in the states) would be Seattle because I really like rainy days BUT I could never afford it.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:37 AM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
I am very happy we moved here. As said above, it takes an adjustment period especially when we are brainwashed into thinking we were superior just because we are from the Northeast (at least I was but I find it hard to believe I am in the minority). The other big adjustment was getting used to the openness of religion and how life revolves around Church. I have become the person I mocked when I first moved here and when I visit Massachusetts, I am miserable. I wonder how people can live up there.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Passeaux View Post
I am very happy we moved here. As said above, it takes an adjustment period especially when we are brainwashed into thinking we were superior just because we are from the Northeast (at least I was but I find it hard to believe I am in the minority). The other big adjustment was getting used to the openness of religion and how life revolves around Church. I have become the person I mocked when I first moved here and when I visit Massachusetts, I am miserable. I wonder how people can live up there.
I think this is in the eye of the beholder. I grew up here but I've lived in Southern California and South Florida as well and can understand what you mean, but I think a lot of people generalize the aspect of religion here as a massively huge thing. There are certainly a higher concentration of churches and whatnot in this region and yes, a lot of people go to church, but it isn't like the world shuts down on Sunday mornings. I don't go to church and neither do the two other guys in the office I directly work with, all raised in the south. I can't tell you the last time someone asked me a thing about church or religion.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I am not religious and haven't really come in contact with anyone trying to convert me. People say "Have a blessed day" and I say "You, too". I DO run into traffic when the mega churches let out and the grocery store is pretty packed after church, some restaurants too. But that is true of any "event" with a large amount of people.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It took me a while to adjust, but now I love it, but I seriously considering moving back East because of the current situation with the schools in Williamson County. The best schools in the state have been hijacked by extremist and I'm very concerned.
That's a pretty extreme reaction to people who haven't even been through their school board training yet. I have some concerns about them wanting to oust Dr. Looney, but have been told that's not true. Either way, I will spend my time contacting them to express my views. Talking about moving out of state because half the school board was replaced seems a huge, melodramatic over reaction at this point.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,730,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I am not religious and haven't really come in contact with anyone trying to convert me. People say "Have a blessed day" and I say "You, too". I DO run into traffic when the mega churches let out and the grocery store is pretty packed after church, some restaurants too. But that is true of any "event" with a large amount of people.
A friend said she saw two women arguing after almost having a wreck, and things got pretty heated. She said the argument ended with one lady yelling,
"Well YOU have a nice day."
To which the other replied, "I will be praying for YOU!"

She said it's one of those only in the South things. But hey, better than cursing each other out and flipping the bird, imo.

Of course, after hearing the story, all Southerners present immediately said, "Bless their hearts."

Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 PM

328 posts, read 568,949 times
Didn't realize WC schools were having issues, but I'm not a local. I'm sad to hear that because WC has always had such a stellar reputation.

Old 10-09-2014, 02:28 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think this is in the eye of the beholder. I grew up here but I've lived in Southern California and South Florida as well and can understand what you mean, but I think a lot of people generalize the aspect of religion here as a massively huge thing. There are certainly a higher concentration of churches and whatnot in this region and yes, a lot of people go to church, but it isn't like the world shuts down on Sunday mornings. I don't go to church and neither do the two other guys in the office I directly work with, all raised in the south. I can't tell you the last time someone asked me a thing about church or religion.
In this I didn't mean it in terms of people knocking door to door or anything like that. I really meant internally. A lot of people's social life is around church whereas up North, I was at Church 45 minutes a week. Down here, there is Church, Bible study, potluck, then some time just socializing with others from Church while the kids play together. Wednesday night is another Bible Study. Then the Church will have functions that everyone goes to so they (and now I) have our week planned around Church, Church functions, and time with people from Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville