Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,947 times

Advertisements

Hello all. Recently accepted a position in Franklin. Looking for areas to live that are within 30-45 minutes commute. It looks my new position is located closer to the south side of Franklin. I've been looking at Murfreesboro and Columbia. Working with a smaller budget for rent, around $950 at the max. I don't mind apartments or town homes , but would really prefer a house with yard. Any suggestions of safe, affordable neighborhoods? I'm coming from WA state so most of my search is going to be done online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 02:35 PM

159 posts, read 333,128 times
I think Murfreesboro is going to be a longer commute for you. Try looking in the Columbia Daily Herald online for rental listings. Don't really know what the going rate for house rental is here in Columbia.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Maybe something in Spring Hill? There is one place for $1050 at the moment BUT might be more in the coming year. Hard time of year to look for rentals. Commute would be easier than Murfreesboro and what you'd save in gas & time you could put towards rent.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Check RealTracs.com for rentals

Old 12-16-2014, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,947 times
I'm not opposed to condos/townhomes/apartments either. I'm also trying to really stay within the requirements of what most places require as far as rent to income ratio. Is Brentwood a good area and areas more towards the southern part of Nashville. What about around the zoo?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
The rent would be much higher than $ 950 in Brentwood.

Columbia would be a good place to start.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:59 PM

107 posts, read 133,625 times
Commuting in Brentwood and Franklin (IMO, Franklin isn't quite as bad) is not fun by any means. In places, it's taken me half an hour just to get a few miles. The commute to/from Nashville proper isn't as bad as most people claim if you're used to commuting. East Nashville to Brentwood is about 15 mins in the morning and 30-45 mins in the evening. Getting in and out of south Nashville and on/off the freeway can be a bit of a problem too. Many of the main arteries get pretty backed up, but after a couple of months you can find a few lesser known shortcuts and shave off a good 10-20 mins you'd spend sitting.

All depends what you want. Franklin is really out of the way if you like the city. Brentwood is very very corporate. South Nashville, if you can get closer to the freeway, wouldn't be bad and you could get more space for your price point, it's closer to the city, and you could still meet your expected commute. FYI, the routes going toward downtown are the worst in the morning, and the routes going away from downtown are the worst in the evening. Yes that sounds obvious, but also counterintuitive considering how much giant corporate business is located in the Brentwood/Franklin area.

Old 01-05-2015, 03:20 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,546,355 times
if you lived on the Davidson side of "Brentwood" you might be able to find something but I would consider gas costs. Gas is relatively cheap right now but what about when it shoots back up to $4/gal? My kids' preschool teacher was commuting from antioch to Franklin and even though her rent was a couple hundred more a month in Franklin she cut her driving time, her gas costs and got more time at home with her own kids.

You might want to look at some of the older complexes in Franklin. The new ones like McEwen are pricy but the ones by the YMCA off Royal Oaks are pretty reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville