Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2008, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
Another relocation thread =)
I currently live in Salem, OR where I've been for about 15 years. Born in San Diego I guess you could call me a native west coast girl, although it's not so much for me anymore. SO I decided to mix my favortite of all worlds (country music, city life & less tree hugging fanatics) and decided to make the HUGE move to Nashville.
So here's my "question". I'm younger (22) and since I dont know anyone is that part of the country, I'd like to live in a area where there are more people my age. I can afford rent up to about the mid $700's and I'd like to live in a relatively safe place with at most a 25 minute commute to downtown. Any advice on which areas may work best would be GREATLY appreciated! =) And any other tips on living in Nashville.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
Midtown, Hillsboro Village, 12th South/Belmont area...this is where I would live if I were renting and early 20s...Green Hills also is an option...if you are looking for a place by yourself at $700/month you could have a hard time finding something...you should consider rooming with some other girls-more bang for your buck that way...check Craigslist.org for roommate ads...good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 69,603 times
Hey, there:
I moved to Nashville from Eugene, Oregon about six years ago. Hillsboro Village is a good place to live if you're renting; pretty expensive to buy something there. Belmont area would also be good, maybe even East Nashville. Just depends.
$700/mo. will be a squeeze. Nashville's not quite as cheap as you may imagine.
Good luck...

Old 01-31-2008, 09:39 AM

334 posts, read 1,281,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblight View Post
Hey, there:
I moved to Nashville from Eugene, Oregon about six years ago. Hillsboro Village is a good place to live if you're renting; pretty expensive to buy something there. Belmont area would also be good, maybe even East Nashville. Just depends.
$700/mo. will be a squeeze. Nashville's not quite as cheap as you may imagine.
Good luck...
My only trip to the West Coast was to Oregon. If I HAD to live in another state, that would be it. It's beautiful there. I can't imagine leaving it by choice, but you are in for some big changes in Tennessee (weather wise).

Wish I could help you on advice here, but I agree $700 a month will be hard to find. Just steer clear of Antioch. LOTS of crime there.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 62,512 times
Ideally you will probably love the West End, East Nashville, Green Hills area but as the other posters have stated $700 is not enough for those areas. You might find a room to rent with a private access somewhere but otherwise, I think for that price, Hermitage or Donelson would be your best bet.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM

48 posts, read 189,386 times
You might consider Bellevue. It's affordable and safe. There's not much of a social life there, but you can hop on the freeway and be downtown in 20 minutes.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaugherty View Post
You might consider Bellevue. It's affordable and safe. There's not much of a social life there, but you can hop on the freeway and be downtown in 20 minutes.
Are you saying we're boring out here in Bellevue? ;-)

Just kidding. You're right, other than one or two good restaurants, Chaffin's Dinner Theater, and a sports bar or two, there isn't all that much nightlife in Bellevue.

Not only can you get to downtown in 20 minutes or so, you can get to the West End/Hillsboro area in about the same time.

The funniest thing was when someone tried to put a strip club in Bellevue about ten year ago. Oh, that went over real well. We were all thinking, who can be that stupid? They actually finished out the place, poles and all, but (surprise!) it never opened.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrachelnic0lxx View Post
Hi All!
Another relocation thread =)
I currently live in Salem, OR where I've been for about 15 years. Born in San Diego I guess you could call me a native west coast girl, although it's not so much for me anymore. SO I decided to mix my favortite of all worlds (country music, city life & less tree hugging fanatics) and decided to make the HUGE move to Nashville.
So here's my "question". I'm younger (22) and since I dont know anyone is that part of the country, I'd like to live in a area where there are more people my age. I can afford rent up to about the mid $700's and I'd like to live in a relatively safe place with at most a 25 minute commute to downtown. Any advice on which areas may work best would be GREATLY appreciated! =) And any other tips on living in Nashville.
Thanks!!

Good for you! My daughter is almost 21...struggling to live in SD and we are moving to Nashville...she has a BF in SD, her dad is in OR...I want her to have a good life and afford to live...Nashville seems to have that for her...I hope that once she visits us there (we are moving this Oct.) that she will see her quality of life can improve in TN! Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville