Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 07:35 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Not really. Look, the groceries, the utilities, the bills, are all taken care of.
... Since AZ cut their state funding for our schools, I can't continue my education for my degree unless I decide to go to a state university (community colleges are out of the question now). ... I was hoping to use this opportunity to finish my degree in Nashville, save up money with whatever job we could get, and then move on. But it seems that there's some resistance from some of you on here?
As for me, I say go for it. It doesn't sound like you're going to get anywhere staying put, since finishing your degree will be difficult in Arizona, and if you have to relocate, the offer of free room and board is a tremendous gift. I don't see a lot of downside in giving it a try. By the time you work some odd jobs and finish school, hopefully you'll have some money saved up and a line on a real career in Tennessee; or maybe your husband is in the Navy by then and you'll be sent somewhere else anyway. Worst case, you end up about where you started: looking for a new place to finish school or start a career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 07:41 PM

659 posts, read 940,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExIslander View Post
As for me, I say go for it. It doesn't sound like you're going to get anywhere staying put, since finishing your degree will be difficult in Arizona, and if you have to relocate, the offer of free room and board is a tremendous gift. I don't see a lot of downside in giving it a try. By the time you work some odd jobs and finish school, hopefully you'll have some money saved up and a line on a real career in Tennessee; or maybe your husband is in the Navy by then and you'll be sent somewhere else anyway. Worst case, you end up about where you started: looking for a new place to finish school or start a career.
Yes that is the worse case. We're not planning a career in TN, while I'm sure Nashville would be nice, but my husband and I are planning to stay there temporarily. So it's not a long term thing, just an awesome opportunity to save!

Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
I was hoping to use this opportunity to finish my degree in Nashville, save up money with whatever job we could get, and then move on. But it seems that there's some resistance from some of you on here?
It's reasonable advice. Don't take it personally.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:37 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Not really. Look, the groceries, the utilities, the bills, are all taken care of.
No employer in Nashville would look at me weird if I hand in my resume with a Nashville address. Without a job lined up, yes it's going to be hard. However, applying for a Nashville job when you're in Phoenix and GETTING that job is close to impossible.

My biggest concern about whether or not to take this family's offer is if the job market in Nashville is strong for any industry. I'm looking into Office Admin, Customer Service or basic Accounting positions. Since AZ cut their state funding for our schools, I can't continue my education for my degree unless I decide to go to a state university (community colleges are out of the question now).

In my husband's case, I mentioned something IT-related because my husband has been in grocery stores doing all sorts of positions (Cashiering to Clerks to Manager) for the past 3 years and he's pretty sick of it. He's hoping a banking job or doing something like a help desk support would help him out a lot better (he does have call center experience).... atleast until he loses the last remaining pounds necessary to join the Navy. Other than his weight, he's perfectly eligible to enroll in the military.

I was hoping to use this opportunity to finish my degree in Nashville, save up money with whatever job we could get, and then move on. But it seems that there's some resistance from some of you on here?
Unless you're going to a private school, you'll be paying out of state tuition until you establish formal residency. You'll run into that most anywhere - not just Tennessee.

You're saying the "bills are taken of," but also said that arrangement is "temporary." What's the plan after that? You are moving across the country, which itself may cost thousands, for the hope of landing what looks like low paying positions, while living with someone on a temporary arrangement. The weight loss, switching from a grocery store to a help desk, etc, can happen wherever you are.

It would be one thing if you were doing this with tens of thousands of dollars or had good jobs lined up. A lot of the hostility you see is because the TN boards get tons of dreamers posting about moving here with little money, no real plan, and no job. Frankly, this state is still hard hit by the recession. Nashville has recovered, but much of the rest of the state has not. The last thing the state needs are people coming in from out of state with no job, then needing support, and ultimately having to go elsewhere.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:14 PM

659 posts, read 940,779 times
Well it seems that I spoke too soon.
A company that I applied to awhile ago finally got back to me and offered me a job. It's part-time, however, we have little monthly expenses so 40% of my paycheck will go into savings. Due to the nature of that job though, I'm glad it's part-time because a full-time job doing that will drive me crazy.

Looks like Nashville won't happen anytime soon after all. In addition to that, my in-laws offered us a place to stay in TX if things got really bad. In-laws is closer to us familial wise than this family member in Nashville (don't know him too well), so there's that I guess. I feel like an idiot making this thread in the first place now, but I honestly didn't know that I'd get a job at the last minute (in the middle of packing no less!). Only saving grace I guess is that we still haven't told the landlord we aren't renewing the lease, good thing too because now we will have to renew the lease -_-

Last edited by JMT; 03-19-2015 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville