Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 07:10 AM

4 posts, read 11,073 times

Advertisements

Is there a secret handshake or password you need to say to get hired in
Murfreesboro/Smyrna/Nashville area? My son is a very qualified electrician of
15 years. He and wife recently moved from FL. He worked a menial job for a
month then was layed off when the work ran out. He has been out of work
for almost two weeks and is really getting desperate. He has been going from place to place applying, calling and making an all out search. He is
really starting to panic. He has child support to pay and as everyone else,
financial obligations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
^^

The economy is slowing down, I would imagine this is true across the board for many people (not being able to find work quickly)

Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
What kind of companies has he been applying to (residential builders, commercial, manufacturing)? I don't keep with that specific area of construction but I might be able to find how who's the electrical contractors for some of the biggest projects in the Nashville area; it will take me a day or two to do it however. Has he already found out who the main contractors are and applied to those companies?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 11,073 times
To alleycat, he has done both residential and commercial. He is very open minded and not trying to be overly selective at this point. I forward all the possibilities I find to him
and he uses the computer in the library and follows up on all of them. He has had to
resort to phone calls to all of the electric companies in the phone book as he can't afford at this point the gas to run all around. He has applied on line at Home Depot in the store but then you are told to call the HR person who is conveniently never available. They are now down to about $12.00 in the bank and trying to hang on desperately to keep looking.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:58 AM

There are a couple of employment agencies that specialize in construction; Mullins is one, I can't remember the other.

I'm surprised he's having this much problem finding a job. Residential construction has slowed a bit here, but commercial is still going strong.

I would suggest he also include manufacturing is his search. All large to medium-sized factories have electricians that work there.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:41 AM

21 posts, read 70,892 times
I also have a skilled trade proffession and am hungry for work . I am a HVAC tech. with management and supervision experiance but all I can find are jobs that hardly pay the rent.Is it always this slow?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter200343 View Post
I also have a skilled trade proffession and am hungry for work . I am a HVAC tech. with management and supervision experiance but all I can find are jobs that hardly pay the rent.Is it always this slow?
You've applied at some of the larger HVAC contractors (Hiller, Lee, Donelson, Cumberland, Kimbro, Maynard, Air Temp, Nashville Machine)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville