Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:16 AM

49 posts, read 60,622 times

Advertisements

I posted on the main TN forum but I would like to get some specific info re:Nashville.

I'm single, in my 20s, conservative, and looking for a safe place to call home. Knoxville and Chattanooga seem to be too small for me, and Memphis seems to have the same issues as Baltimore like poverty, crime, ghetto/thug culture being the majority, and in that area I would likely be stuck living in a suburb for safety.

I'm just tired of living in an area where I am afraid to walk out of a very small area unless I want to be subjected to racist verbal abuse or be subject to violence. I'm sick of living in a place where only criminals are allowed to have guns (in practice). I come from about 4 generations of Baltimore Police. I want to be a cop as well but I refuse to put my neck on the line to serve a community that doesn't value the police or even want an orderly and safe society. Currently I do private security and make okay money and would likely continue down that route until I become a cop.

Although I know that conservative viewpoints are more represented in the suburbs, I'm young and single and have lived in urban areas all of my life, so it would be great if I could find an area that is safe and surrounded by other safe areas.

Can you recommend anywhere? I would just need a studio and I have $6500 saved up for moving and I would like that to be able to float me for 3 months until I can find a position..budget is around $700 per month plus utilities of course.

It's very hard for me to leave MD, this is my home but after the riots I have realized that this community isn't a place where I can have the best quality of life. Hopefully Nashville could be because it seems really nice.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2015, 07:18 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
I think you need to do a little more research. Nashville is very blue inside of red Tennessee. And your $700 a month budget will get you a crackhouse apartment. If you want to decent place within urban core you will be paying at least $1000 a month for a studio.

As a few others told you in your other post, adjusting your attitude is probably the best move you can make, not trying to move somewhere you have no idea about.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:43 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,011 times
Actually, I can sympathize with your desire to move out of Baltimore and Maryland. I used to travel there extensively in the 1990s and it was just a different time. Seemed like a very nice place at the time. Obviously, so much has changed everywhere in the past 7-8 years. I haven't been there in nearly five years, but it's apparent to me that the leadership in that state is beholden to simply more and more big government, and (no wonder) the citizenry has become more and more dependent on government, instead of themselves. When I hear the politically charged comments of the person in charge of seeking justice for Mr. Gray and the public, I admit I would not be able to support that system with my taxes. And I would never deign to tell you to adjust your attitude as you no doubt find yourself in a situation you cannot ignore anymore. Good luck. I do think N. Cal is correct about advising you to do a lot of research on your future hometown (wherever it may be).

Old 05-02-2015, 10:55 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
I think your $6500 is a decent amount for 3 months until you get your bearings, and decide if you like it here! I am conservative and never have any "trouble" - it's like like everyone is wearing red or blue hats!

$700 IS too low for the urban core unless you want to share. You MIGHT find something in Bellevue, which is a suburby type area west of downtown.

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...hville-TN.html

Or, spend a little bit and fly down here for a long weekend and see what you think, how it feels to you - Southwest has nonstop flights.

You're at a good age to make a move! Best of luck!

Old 05-02-2015, 02:10 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I would agree you need a change. Nashville maybe be good for you. Good city and exposure to different people in different places in life.

Last edited by JMT; 05-02-2015 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
The hiring process for police departments usually takes a very long time. Besides the background checks, you would need to go to the police academy here, which takes 16 weeks. So plan on that in your budget. Rent in Nashville is VERY high, so you would probably have to live in one of the suburbs or in a less desirable part of town.

I don't know you, so I don't know whether you have "issues." But I do know that being a police officer is hard enough without trying to serve a community where folks are brought up to hate/fear/view police officers as the enemy. Nashville is not necessarily that kind of place. If you have the right attitude and still want to do that job for the right reasons, there are a LOT of jurisdictions around here where you could apply.

My grandfather was a police officer in Memphis, and I understand what you're talking about. People who haven't grown up in that kind of environment do not.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:12 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Nashville isn't gun free. I own some.

Old 05-02-2015, 03:13 PM

49 posts, read 60,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The hiring process for police departments usually takes a very long time. Besides the background checks, you would need to go to the police academy here, which takes 16 weeks. So plan on that in your budget. Rent in Nashville is VERY high, so you would probably have to live in one of the suburbs or in a less desirable part of town.

I don't know you, so I don't know whether you have "issues." But I do know that being a police officer is hard enough without trying to serve a community where folks are brought up to hate/fear/view police officers as the enemy. Nashville is not necessarily that kind of place. If you have the right attitude and still want to do that job for the right reasons, there are a LOT of jurisdictions around here where you could apply.

My grandfather was a police officer in Memphis, and I understand what you're talking about. People who haven't grown up in that kind of environment do not.
Thank you! No I don't have "issues" and I wouldnt want to become an LEO in a community that I hadn't spent some time in before hand.

Do you think Williamson County would be better for me?

Old 05-02-2015, 03:16 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. politically incorrect View Post
Thank you! No I don't have "issues" and I wouldnt want to become an LEO in a community that I hadn't spent some time in before hand.

Do you think Williamson County would be better for me?
Yes, probably. A visit first would be a good idea to get your bearings.

Old 05-02-2015, 04:09 PM

427 posts, read 1,308,068 times
mr. politically incorrect,
This message from Nashville's police chief was published in January. Do his ideas about policing mesh with yours?
Nashville police chief shares message, responds to questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville