Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 07:27 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times

Advertisements

Have a great trip Sparkle!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 897 times
Adding to the "it's just easier to get someone local" rationale, it is also significantly cheaper to get someone local! Definitely make a point with any prospective employers that you have already budgeted the cost your move and do not need them to cover it.

As for how to get a job... someone mentioned working with a recruiter, that's a good tip. Also, it's always "who you know". Make connections with locals: join some meetups or other groups of interest online; introduce yourselves and start asking questions via the group's email or fb (like you're doing here, but on a more personal level). That worked well for me when we moved here last year and I needed info on local stuff. Along those lines, has he looked for 2nd-level connections in the area on LinkedIn?

Also, make sure your husband isn't being too narrow in his search. As most companies prefer to hire from within first, for the type of generalized IT work he does he might get the position he wants a lot quicker by taking a lesser, unrelated position at a good company and transfer back to IT from the inside.

Good luck!

Old 05-12-2015, 08:59 AM

65 posts, read 100,302 times
You are moving from Spokane Wa to Nashville TN for a tech job?!

Uhhh Hello Seattle?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,091,879 times
Seattle is VERY expensive though . . . .

Old 05-12-2015, 10:56 AM

21 posts, read 25,243 times
SethyDuck ~ We considered Seattle - however, I'm from the south and miss it terribly after having been in the NW since 2008. I have family in Nashville and my parents are in Florida and elderly. Additionally, my father has been put on hospice in the last month which has just added to our reasons for wanting to get closer. I can understand why you would wonder why we wouldn't just go to Seattle.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 25,243 times
jeanniebeannie ~ Thank you, those are good tips ! He has had two interviews in the two days we've been here and another coming up on Friday. So fingers crossed !

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle28 View Post
jeanniebeannie ~ Thank you, those are good tips ! He has had two interviews in the two days we've been here and another coming up on Friday. So fingers crossed !
I'd be surprised if the employers didn't put serious thought into hiring your husband after meeting him. He's obviously serious about moving here if he flew in for interviews. I applied to jobs in Nashville for months before moving to TN and didn't get any responses. After moving and having a local address it took me another 4 months to get a job in my niche finance industry. Your husband sounds like he's in a good position to get an offer if he already has so many interviews scheduled. Good luck!

Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
I ran into something a little different, though I was a TN resident at the time. I received call backs and drove to Nashville for several interviews, but the pay was comically low for a city of its size with a cost of living where it is.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:07 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I ran into something a little different, though I was a TN resident at the time. I received call backs and drove to Nashville for several interviews, but the pay was comically low for a city of its size with a cost of living where it is.
This must be based on the job. For my role, Nashville is competitive nationally and paying more than I was making for the same role in Texas. My wife's job pays competitively here too.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:54 PM

24 posts, read 28,780 times
Yea, the pay here isn't bad compared to Orlando. Don't get me wrong, I certainly am not a high roller and making millions in either location either.

I ended up in the hospitality field in Orlando and was getting paid around the mid 40s and have now relocated here to Nashville and making mid 50s.

Like I said though, I am not in any specialized field, but the pay here was actually better than Florida and has a cheaper cost of living as well. Overall I am pretty happy where I am at now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville