Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 02:56 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times

Advertisements

To add to what bspray said, I will second that Spring Hill is a traffic nightmare. I picked up a co-worker there a few weeks ago for an out of town trip. It took me forever to get to her house, then forever to get back to the interstate once I picked her up. That town has such limited foresight they didn't even require developers to pay for a center turn lane into numerous really large subdivisions coming off of 2 lane roads.

There's no way at all I would live in Spring Hill and commute to Franklin given your budget. Once they finish construction on I-65 between Murfreesboro Rd. and Peytonsville Rd., I believe traffic will become absolutely stupid in Spring Hill proper. People will not consider the debacle that is Spring Hill traffic, only thinking about the interstate portion of the commute and will move there in droves to get into the northern part of town to get into WCS.

Having non-8-5 hours will help, but if I was going to choose between a 10 and a 30 minute commute twice per day vs. a bigger or smaller lot, it would be a no brainer. My sanity wins out over yard size every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 08:39 PM

30 posts, read 50,072 times
Thanks for all the information! He will be working near the Galleria.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
I would give a solid look at Cheswicke Farms, Eagles Glen or Golden Meadows. All are right off Liberty Pike between Mack Hatcher and Mallory Lane.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
What you need to know about Spring Hill is, it is a nice place to live that was horribly planned. The city's infrastructure can't handle all the traffic from the thousands of homes that were built there in the last decade. Traffic is bad in Spring Hill, all the time. Spring Hill also spans Williamson and Maury counties. Not that Maury is necessarily a bad county for schools but it is definitely not as good as Williamson county. Spring Hill will have adequate shopping areas but you will likely be driving to Cool Springs for most of your shopping, which is 20+ minutes away without traffic.
You're too kind.

Spring Hill is not horribly planned; it is the antithesis of planning. Spring Hill is the result of when a city government full of part-time amateurs says "OK" to literally every development proposed within the boundaries. It is the largest unplanned community in the state.

Spring Hill has never pondered what it will look like in 10 years. I doubt they look beyond 2 or 3.

There is no evidence that the town has looked at any other towns in the area to take cues on how to handle rapid growth, especially that of a pure sprawlburb (as opposed to a town that grew up around a traditional square). No looks at the examples laid out by Hendersonville, Brentwood, Smyrna, or even recent peer Mt Juliet. Just pure unadulterated drooling stupidity. In fact, it's like they used Southeast Davidson County as a template and said "F-it! Let's do it without 4 lane roads!"

The attitude must be if we don't recognize that there's a problem, then it doesn't exist!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:44 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
You're too kind.

Spring Hill is not horribly planned; it is the antithesis of planning. Spring Hill is the result of when a city government full of part-time amateurs says "OK" to literally every development proposed within the boundaries. It is the largest unplanned community in the state.

Spring Hill has never pondered what it will look like in 10 years. I doubt they look beyond 2 or 3.

There is no evidence that the town has looked at any other towns in the area to take cues on how to handle rapid growth, especially that of a pure sprawlburb (as opposed to a town that grew up around a traditional square). No looks at the examples laid out by Hendersonville, Brentwood, Smyrna, or even recent peer Mt Juliet. Just pure unadulterated drooling stupidity. In fact, it's like they used Southeast Davidson County as a template and said "F-it! Let's do it without 4 lane roads!"

The attitude must be if we don't recognize that there's a problem, then it doesn't exist!
Yeah, but how do you really feel about it?

Old 05-31-2015, 05:23 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
I would definitely look in Franklin and you can find something in your price range, it just probably won't be new construction. A lot of neighborhoods many not have huge backyards but they have lots of open space. Franklin Green for example the yards aren't huge but they have huge swaths of green space between the streets that is common space and maintained by the HOA. It also has walking trails into wooded sections.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:59 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Yeah, but how do you really feel about it?
It's a nice place between 10am and 2pm.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 8,747 times
I have previously lived in Brentwood, Franklin, Smyrna and Nashville proper and have been living on the Maury county side of Spring Hill for 2 months. I 100% agree with others about the utter lack of planning the city of Spring Hill gave to its infrastructure, especially to the Hwy 31 corridor. It is definitely worse on the Williamson County side, because it opens up to 4 lanes just past the Maury county line. But, with my location in a new development just south of Saturn Parkway , I'm able to avoid that area nearly completely, especially during its busiest times. I love shopping at the new Crossing of Spring Hill:Super Target, Kohl's, BB&B, Kirkland's, Ross, etc, numerous chain restaurants, plus a brand new 8 theatre Carmike Cinemas. I grocery shop at Kroger on Port Royal where there is also a Walgreen's and a handful of fast food restauants along with a great local Mexican place. My location affords me easy access to I-65 which, during non rush hour times, gets me to Franklin (15-20min), Cool Springs (20min) and downtown Nashville (35 min).

I have a child in elementary school and have zero concerns about not being in the over-hyped Williamson county school district. The traffic in and around Franklin isn't that much better during busy times. But, with all of that being said, if you have the money, go for Franklin.....if you are on a budget or just want more bang for your buck, head south

Old 06-25-2015, 11:55 AM

456 posts, read 586,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It's a nice place between 10am and 2pm.
That and its a billion miles from Nashville. So driving into Nashville sucks. Thompsons Station will be the same way when they build it out.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:32 PM

74 posts, read 89,798 times
In all honesty, I think you will be happiest if you limit your search to Franklin.[/quote]

Exactly correct. Or, rent for a year, then decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville