Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:26 AM

13,358 posts, read 40,007,246 times

Advertisements

It's almost like they've been reading city-data...

Blockage sought of I-65 Nathan Bedford Forrest statue

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 05:59 AM

584 posts, read 1,137,672 times
Channel 4 ran a story that mentioned the I65 statue

Congressman Cooper calls for Nathan Bedford Forrest bust to be m - WSMV Channel 4

Old 06-23-2015, 07:09 AM

107 posts, read 186,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anony-Momma View Post

I'm not really sure why Mr. Cooper even has a dog in this hunt? Shouldn't he be up in DC tending to his duties up there?

They have tried to remove the bust a number of times as I recall. It did get moved to a less prominent location in the last few years.

Unlike the I-65 rendering it seems to be a pretty good piece of art.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,986,253 times
I hope the state plants trees to cover it up. This is not a First Amendment issue. No one is saying the landowner cannot have this statue on his land. The state, however, cleared trees in 1998 to make the statue more visible to drivers on I-65, and the same people are now free to plant trees and build walls to hide it from view again.

Whatever the truth about Forrest is, this statue does represent racism and backward thinking to most people. We should be doing everything possible to be welcoming of other races and ethnicities and nationalities. It has also always seemed odd to me that the state would clear land I order to showcase a statue of an individual that was involved in the largest uprising against our country in U.S. History.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:16 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,479,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
It has also always seemed odd to me that the state would clear land I order to showcase a statue of an individual that was involved in the largest uprising against our country in U.S. History.
I wonder if there's other examples of the state or municipality clearing trees or other impediments for other private monuments or for benefit of other private properties? I don't remember the specifics of the statue going up years ago (though I remember the controversy and comments about the aesthetics), but if state or local public funds were used to clear i, I can definitely see that as problematic.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
I hope the state plants trees to cover it up. This is not a First Amendment issue. No one is saying the landowner cannot have this statue on his land. The state, however, cleared trees in 1998 to make the statue more visible to drivers on I-65, and the same people are now free to plant trees and build walls to hide it from view again.

Whatever the truth about Forrest is, this statue does represent racism and backward thinking to most people. We should be doing everything possible to be welcoming of other races and ethnicities and nationalities. It has also always seemed odd to me that the state would clear land I order to showcase a statue of an individual that was involved in the largest uprising against our country in U.S. History.
This is what I'm getting at, too. To me it's not a question about whether Nathan Bedford Forrest was an evil racist, the subject of a smear campaign, or just a product of his time. It's that the state spent money to clear land so that a private individual could have his "art" more visible. I don't think the state will clear trees and brush to make billboards more visible, so why did they do it for this thing?

By the way, the Tennessean article I cited a couple of posts above has a picture of this monstrosity. I mean, it's hard to believe that the guy who did this meant for it to be complimentary of Nathan Bedford Forrest. It looks more like it's supposed to be a sad caricature.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 06-23-2015 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-23-2015, 08:39 AM

107 posts, read 186,469 times
There was quite the brewhaha when the area was cleared. State senator Douglas Henry (now retired) was the one able to get the state to do the clearing. If I remember correctly it was basically done and finished before anyone took notice and raised a red flag (not Confederate ;-)). In his ambling style he pretty much deflected all the criticism and after a short period it was all over and the park was front and center for all to see. Pretty much a textbook case of the good ole boy network in state government.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM

1,285 posts, read 2,360,055 times
Cover it up!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM

584 posts, read 1,137,672 times
Who Does the Nathan Beford Forrest Statue Actually Look Like? | Country Life | Nashville Scene

Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM

That is hysterical! It really does look like Lord Farquaad.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville