Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM

32 posts, read 83,075 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a surprise weekend trip (A Late Friday evening-Monday Afternoon) in early November for my daughter and me to celebrate her 16th birthday. She is a music lover, though she likes some country, but not a super-country fan. She plays guitar, piano and drums, and composes. We love the outdoors, but not sure if November will be good for this. I'd love to hear what you can recommend for us. I've barely begun looking at what Nashville has to offer (were from VA). Restaurant recommendations are welcome too! We'll look for accommodations in Nashville, as it gets closer. Thanks for any help you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 07:49 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Which particular weekend will you be here? Would help to know in terms of what will be going on then.

I'd stay in the Maryland Farms area in Brentwood, south of Nashville. This would be Exit 74B (Old Hickory) off of 65 going south from the city. Lots of medium priced hotel options and food choices. Local restaurants around there include the Puffy Muffin (sort of "ladies at lunch"), The Perch (crepes), and The Local Taco. This area is safe and sort of in the middle of downtown Nashville, outdoor space, and downtown Franklin.

For your love of outdoors, head to Radnor Lake (FORL), about a 5 minute drive from Maryland Farms (the name of the area, no farm, no cows, etc.)

You really MUST take a walk around downtown (lower Broadway) Nashville. Lots of music, not only country. Acme Seed & Feed might be a fun place to eat, or off of Broadway, Pucketts. There is also a Pucketts in Franklin and they should have live music (cover charge) on the weekends. Depending on the time of day you drive into the city, it's maybe 15 minutes?

Puckett's | Grocery & Restaurant

15 - 20 minutes SOUTH of Maryland Farms is the smaller town of Franklin. Quaint. Fun shopping. Good places to eat (again, Pucketts, Mellow Mushroom, the Red Pony (higher end), Meridee's . . ) Parking is free. And there should be music options. You can take 65 to Franklin but the more scenic route is simply go south on Franklin Road and it will take you right there! (Downtown Franklin TN - America)

There are some clubs around Nashville that have music, which is why I asked when you were coming, to see what would be playing.

November weather can be hit or miss. I usually don't need a 'real' winter coat until Thanksgiving. It was in the 70's and humid yesterday. Might even be lucky and hit some Fall color?

Old 09-30-2015, 12:06 PM

We'll be there the first weekend in November (6th-9th). Thanks for the recommendation on area, Maryland Farms sounds great! Lower Broadway and Puckett's looks fun! Yes, I'm hoping we'll hit some good fall colors. Our peak in Northern Virginia is often the 3rd or 4th week of October, so I'm assuming Nashville is a few weeks later.

I especially appreciate your details on restaurants, parking, and the safety of the particular area. Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:45 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolmama View Post
I'm planning a surprise weekend trip (A Late Friday evening-Monday Afternoon) in early November for my daughter and me to celebrate her 16th birthday. She is a music lover, though she likes some country, but not a super-country fan. She plays guitar, piano and drums, and composes. We love the outdoors, but not sure if November will be good for this. I'd love to hear what you can recommend for us. I've barely begun looking at what Nashville has to offer (were from VA). Restaurant recommendations are welcome too! We'll look for accommodations in Nashville, as it gets closer. Thanks for any help you can give!

From Tues Nov 3 on on Tuesday Friday Saturday the Grand Ole Opry returns to the Ryman. Any show at the Ryman is a great experience. You can try the new cafe before/after the show. If you have time, take the backstage tour. Lower Broadway is just a few steps away. The Country Music Hall of Fame is a block away. You can get other ideas from the Visitors bureau at the Predator's Arena.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:12 AM

These are on the WEST side of 65 in the Maryland Farms area:

Homewood Suites by Hilton Nashville/Brentwood
Baymont Inn & Suites Nashville/Brentwood
Candlewood Suites Nashville/Brentwood
Mainstay Suites (Brentwood)

On the EAST side of 65 (at Exit 74) you'll find

Hilton Brentwood/Nashville Suites (up on a hill, NICE, but pricey)
Hyatt Place
Four Points by Sheraton
Hampton Inn Nashville/Brentwood

I find the location of the ones on the WEST side less 'frantic', traffic wise, than the ones on the East but that's just my preference. The Franklin Road/Old Hickory intersection is a very busy one, particularly during commute times. And Christmas shopping season!

The Ryman is a beautiful venue and LOTS of non-country artists play there. Great acoustics. The seats are church pews so there's lots of wood, stained glass windows. All the artists who play there count it as one of their favorite venues. Very intimate for the number of people it seats. Worth a visit - they have tours.

GW is right, the Opry is there that weekend, which may or may not be of interest to your daughter. Depends on who is playing and it's a bit early to tell right now. It's a live radio show so there are commercial breaks. On the Friday a singer named Lauren Alaina is on the bill - your daughter might know her from American Idol? There are usually 6 or 7 artists. Check the website as it gets closer to the date. The stars from "Nashville" (the TV show) often play there.

Also at the REAL Opry which is NOT downtown they are filming the CMA Country Christmas TV special on Saturday Nov. 7th.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

SPECIAL EVENT | Grand Ole Opry

[/b][/font]Not sure if that's of any interest to you? Or if there are even tickets available but you could check. HUGE shopping mall within walking distance and restaurants. Traffic is . . . heavy. Watching a TV taping is interesting. CAN get a little boring but it's fun once!

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2015 at 07:14 AM..

Old 10-02-2015, 02:33 PM

1,683 posts, read 811,317 times
And the always popular...

21 Mother Daughter Tattoos That Are Simply Breathtaking (PHOTOS) | The Stir

Small towns near Nashville such as Dickson and Columbia have them available.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:24 PM

Default Just Not Us

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanresu1 View Post
And the always popular...

21 Mother Daughter Tattoos That Are Simply Breathtaking (PHOTOS) | The Stir

Small towns near Nashville such as Dickson and Columbia have them available.
Wow...I'm not sure why I'm surprised that's a thing...it's just not our thing. :/

Old 10-04-2015, 08:29 PM

Default Christmas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I find the location of the ones on the WEST side less 'frantic', traffic wise, than the ones on the East but that's just my preference. The Franklin Road/Old Hickory intersection is a very busy one, particularly during commute times. And Christmas shopping season!
I didn't even think about Christmas Shopping Season...I guess anytime after Black Friday is definitely going to be a shopping zoo! ugh!

Old 10-04-2015, 09:16 PM

298 posts, read 628,064 times
My daughter and I did that same trip when she was 15. I was not really a country music fan but became one after our trip. We went to a show at the Grand Ole Opry and it was great. We also went to the Bluebird Cafe (on the TV show Nashville) and that was the highlight of our trip. It's a very intimate setting where new artists debut their music. I'd call now for reservations if you plan to go. Due to her age we couldn't get into the honky tonk bars but did take a walk down the main street and could experience all the music around us.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:23 PM

The Bluebird would be worth a visit, but since "Nashville" started up, it's a tough ticket to get. Reservations online only - I think on Monday mornings for that week's show. Here's the info:

The Bluebird Cafe :: How To Make Reservations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville