Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 8,522 times

Advertisements

I am considering the possibility of moving to Nashville in the near future, and my research has been really discouraging.

Are the online reviews for most rental properties in the area true? Are there no safe, quality places to live on a decent budget in the area?

I'm a single guy in his late-20s who only needs the basics, and doesn't want to pay four-digits per month. Ideally I'd want to pay less than $700 per month, but I understand that my suburban upbringing has skewed my thoughts on what a reasonable monthly rent payment should be in a decent-sized city.

I am willing to commute as much as 30-45 minutes to get to Nashville, where my potential new job would be. I am interested in renting a home, condo, apartment or whatever else as long as the price is reasonable. I am open to studios or one-bedrooms.

I really just want a place that is safe and not infested with bugs. Anything else is just a perk. Does anyone have any recommendations or encouragement? Am I going to need to find a roommate somehow and split the bill on a smaller two bedroom to find anything reasonable?

Thanks for any advice and input. I have visited the city before and loved my experience. I am hopeful there's better options out there than the negative reviews I see on various websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,357,614 times
I was similar to you last year. I moved here from Knoxville and was looking for a basic apartment for under $700. While I found them within the city, my friends that lived there advised me that they weren't in good neighborhoods. I was very frustrated, discouraged and questioning if I should leave more affordable Knoxville.

Since youre willing to be 30-45 mins away from the city I would suggest Rutherford Co (Smyrna, Murfreesboro). That's where I ended up and have enjoyed it. We have plenty of stuff here to do, places to shop, and restaurants and bars to patronize. Plus, the drive to Nashville isnt bad (unless its rush hour which can take a while). I visit Nashville often for various things and the drive isnt that big of a deal. Its all 4 lane interstate.

If you want to be closer then maybe check out Hermitage/Donelson, Antioch, South Nashville and Madison in that order IMO. I have the least knowledge of Madison but I do know its more affordable there. I have heard its not the safest area but again I dont know for sure since I havent been there much at all. In Donelson/Hermitage, sometimes Creekstone and East Lake apartments have rentals in that range. Antioch and South Nashville are both fine IMO. They may be sketchy in parts but I think theyre OK overall. I was told to avoid them when I moved here. However, after being here for 1.5 years now, Id consider them in the future on a neighborhood, apartment complex, and unit basis. You can usually tell which places will be better than others by looking at them.

Going back to Murfreesboro and what I like about it. Its safe, we have plenty of things here, easy access to Nashville, and apartments that are clean, affordable, and safe. Its the best fit for me as a grad student and it may be a good fit for you.

I can give you specific complexes in Murfreesboro if youre interested.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:55 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Nothing wrong with Madison, most of it is fine. There are a few sketchy neighborhoods, but for the most part it's ok.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:16 PM

I have a good, new, efficient car and enjoy driving, so yeah, this idea appeals to me if I can get a significantly better deal than any closer to Nashville. I would be open to hearing about some places in the area to check out.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetropolitanTN View Post

I can give you specific complexes in Murfreesboro if youre interested.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:29 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,085,060 times
If you're working in Nashville and living in Murfreesboro while commuting during rush hours, traffic between there is really bad. Other than that, Murfreesboro would be a good option for you and it's a perfectly fine place, big enough to where you won't need to leave to do anything. With about 110,000 people it's really kinda got its own identity separate from just a "suburb of Nashville".

Old 08-13-2015, 01:33 PM

My work hours won't be 9 AM - 5 PM (or anything close, really), so I don't think that will be an issue. Plus I won't be commuting every day. So being a decent way out of town isn't a big deal for me. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:37 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,473,389 times
There are some one bedroom apts in the Hendersonville area at that price point. Nottingham comes to mind off of Sanders Ferry Road. An older complex, but clean, nice, and literally next to the lake. Hendersonville is about a 35-45 minute commute depending on how far away from Hwy 386 you are.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
There are some one bedroom apts in the Hendersonville area at that price point. Nottingham comes to mind off of Sanders Ferry Road. An older complex, but clean, nice, and literally next to the lake. Hendersonville is about a 35-45 minute commute depending on how far away from Hwy 386 you are.
Another great recommendation, thanks.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:14 PM

114 posts, read 140,947 times
I agree with the Hermitage/Donelson/parts of S. Nashville. Donelson may be out of budget in the "hipper" areas. Hendersonville and Murfreesboro are both great towns, but the commute is not for the faint of heart, particularly at 5. I feel like our rush hour starts really early here. Am I the only one?

ETA: It's a little farther, but maybe Bellevue?

Last edited by Siamese Kitty; 08-18-2015 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: ETA option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville