Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 PM

456 posts, read 586,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I live in Mt Juliet and I know more people that drop G.D. bombs in conversation than I do people who go to church. I know one friend who actively does and other than that I don't know a single person that regularly does, if ever. There are a lot of churches here, but there aren't any new ones. They're old places that are probably attended largely by older people as opposed to millenials.
When is the last time you have bern to church in MJ? Millenials and younger are a large portion of the churches mentioned above. Some of the Elementary schools in town host church on Sundays. Old people are present but certainlynot the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 AM

136 posts, read 210,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I

I just don't think that question gets asked as much in the big growth areas that are more transplant heavy. But...traditional families tend to locate in the burbs (mainly due to schools) and I think church is a big social outlet for families (since you can't take your kids to bars). I'm kind of joking and kind of being serious with that one.

I live in Williamson county, and it happened from day 1. But it also happened at my first job at Vandy, when the nurse I worked with could not get over the fact that our boss was an atheist. I think people know me now well enough to stop asking. I have learned that people are just trying to be friendly, seeing who you might mutually know, etc. It certainly is worse the first year you move here - even the "welcome lady" that gets sent out from somewhere asked me on my first day here. My son got asked by his teacher what religion he was. And we liked that teacher, but that was way inappropriate. My daughter was told over and over again how much Jesus loved her by a certain teacher. And we liked that teacher too. It is so culturally ingrained here that people who are born and raised here are not even necessarily aware of how entrenched it is in the culture. I am not offended by it. I just think it makes other people uncomfortable when I say I don't go to church, so I try to avoid it.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,435 times
I guess we have just had different experiences. Where I work.....you would be way more ostracized if you said you DO go to church and are a Christian.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
I guess we have just had different experiences. Where I work.....you would be way more ostracized if you said you DO go to church and are a Christian.
Thats really really sad.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:43 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Thats really really sad.
But my, how refreshing!

Old 02-08-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
But my, how refreshing!
Its refreshing to discriminate?? WTF

Old 02-08-2016, 07:03 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Its refreshing to discriminate?? WTF
As a non-believer myself, I THINK what sucrose is trying to say is, around here it is such a change of pace from having people look down their nose at you when they find out you don't go to church. Being ostracized is the norm for non-believers in this part of the country. I would agree that it probably would be refreshing to work some place where you're not ostracized for not believing.

To reinforce a little bit of what nashvols said with regard to religion being something that many businesses feel comfortable identifying themselves as - go watch a movie at the Thoroughbred in Franklin. There are no less than 3 churches that advertise their product and several other business ads where they gladly comment that they will see you at church. It's pretty odd if you're not from here.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Advertising for a church and "ostracizing" people are two very different things. Do you not understand the differences?

Old 02-09-2016, 08:51 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I think we're starting to veer from the original intent of the thread...OP hasn't posted in a while.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:52 AM

838 posts, read 1,211,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Advertising for a church and "ostracizing" people are two very different things. Do you not understand the differences?
I absolutely understand the differences. I am curious where you inferred from my statement that I consider them the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: