Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 AM

13 posts, read 58,063 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'm sure you've all heard that one before, but I'm a recent graduate with an AAS in Music Business Audio Production, but have been having a hard time finding a job. I figured Nashville would be nice because of the cost of living, southern hospitality, and Music Row.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice for me, as I've never lived on my own before, and looking for jobs has been a daunting and scary task. I'm also from Minnesota, so I have the Minnesota Nice thing going on!

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to reading your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 02:08 AM

120 posts, read 127,875 times
If you have enough $$ to move, get an Apt(at least 3-6 mths rent), And your sure your Parents will take you back, lol. Give it a try!

Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM

120 posts, read 127,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeamie View Post
Yeah, I'm sure you've all heard that one before, but I'm a recent graduate with an AAS in Music Business Audio Production, but have been having a hard time finding a job. I figured Nashville would be nice because of the cost of living, southern hospitality, and Music Row.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice for me, as I've never lived on my own before, and looking for jobs has been a daunting and scary task. I'm also from Minnesota, so I have the Minnesota Nice thing going on!

Thanks for all your help, and I look forward to reading your comments.
looking for jobs has been a daunting and scary task. Ain't that the Truth You need to come visit for AT LEAST a week or 2.Best of luck though

Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Have you thought about going on and getting a four-year degree, perhaps on a part-time basis while you're working? Not only would that give you more opportunities in the future, but if you went to someplace like Belmont, that would give a chance to network with others in the music business.

My other thought, if this would be the first time living on your own, is to find a good roommate. Not only would it be cheaper to rent an apartment, you probably wouldn't feel quite as alone in a new city. You might be able to even find a roommate who is also trying to make it in the music industry.

Just some ideas.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:27 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,199 times
I would definitely recommend coming for a visit and getting a job, even if it's not what you want at first...if you really want to be in Nashville, working somewhere while you continue to search for your dream job would be a good place to start...it'll give you time to meet people in the industry, continue schooling, etc.

In addition, check out craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums for some possible roommate situations in the Nashville area.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,570 times
We have lived here for 3 years, husband also music engineer grad, NO WORK!!! Mostly they just keep turning over interns who work for free. I really wouldn't suggest you move here unless you already know someone in teh music business who can get you in teh door. In my line of work I have met many engineers who work @ fast food places, music stores, or some office job. Most have told me they had a great music career until they moved here. Just food for thought.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm in that really weird transition of graduating from college, and then figuring out what happens next...it's no fun!

I think it would be a good idea to visit Nashville, and see what there is before I totally move there, but it's planning the actual trip that's holding me back...I am going to Paris in March...I wonder if there's anything there?

I am also continuing on with school, and am going for my BA in Psychology...my problem is I'm interested in too many things!

Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Have you considered NYC? I know its big, scary and expensive but my husband has a masters in Audio Technology from NYU and while he doesn't work in the field anymore, he had a lot of opportunities there when we were just starting out. He worked at a label during the day and interned in the evenings for some of the biggest studios in the US, if he had decided to work fulltime in a studio he could of but he decided to work for the label instead.

Anyway, just a thought for you, nowhere better right out of school (imo) than New York City, we had such a great time living there in our 20s and everyone is broke and ambitious, its great

Old 02-05-2008, 09:53 PM

New York does seem like a really cool place...I went there on a trip a few years back, and had a great time. It is extremely intimidating and expensive, but I think if a person would live just outside of the city and commute, it would be ok.

Did you like living there, hml1976?

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
Loved it while I was younger, I was 23 when I got there and 28 when we left (1998-2003), perfect age to arrive and perfect age to leave We lived in Brooklyn and took the subway into the city for work. We made nothing and paid a ton in rent but there's so much to do for free in the city and no one else we knew had any money either. Jobs are in abundance for hard workers and everyone is smart and ambitious. I worked for the largest publishing house in the world in the middle of Times Square and my husband worked for an indie label in a loft in Greenwich Village, both were awesome experiences.

We left because we wanted a house and children. The good news is that we were able to keep our NYC salaries when we moved to Nashville and everyone in TN was impressed with our experience. We've moved to Portland, OR in the last month and our adventure continues, but we both maintain that our children will be encouraged to spend their 20s in NYC, its just a wonderful place to be young, learn about every kind of person and really just have crazy adventures.

Don't get me wrong, its tough, everyone's smart, the rents are high, people are rude (and so kind at the same time, its hard to explain), and its physically exhausting to walk everywhere, lug groceries to your walk-up apartment, etc. But for us, it was totally worth every second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: