Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 09:06 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
Perhaps you wont mind if the doctor is a new resident rather than a 30 year veteran of medicine at Vanderbilt. After all, he planned to move to the hospital. Is this OK?

Most companies will not dismiss your resume if your a strong candidate. Thats just 100% not true. My employer has hired people from all over the country. How do you think Nashville got people from all over country?
Hyperbole much?

The OP isn't looking for a job as a physician, she is asking about a job in marketing.

Yes, many HR departments will dismiss your resume if you're not local regardless of your qualifications. I think it's great that your company hires people from all over the company. That doesn't mean they are the rule and not the exception.

When I was in the process of relocating here, I got a 615 number through Google Voice and forwarded that number to my cell phone.

I flew in for 3 days and multiple interviews with several companies. Never once did anyone give me more than a simple question regarding my commitment to move here when my location was discussed. I accepted an offer and have been with the company for several years now. I have interviewed many others hoping to work with my employer, I can assure you that we screen for local candidates until we get desperate and that doesn't happen often.

The company I work for is so large, it wouldn't surprise me if you and I actually worked for the same company - you with the experience that they hire from all over and me with the experience that non local resumes are screened out.

What I can say without question is, I got zero bites on my resume here in Nashville when it had a 210 area code on it and I started getting multiple calls and emails weekly when I changed it to 615. You are welcome to question my strength as a candidate - I will be happy to show you the number of emails I still get from recruiters weekly... and my tax return if you still have doubts.

I don't believe in God but I am pretty sure that if I did, he wouldn't condemn me to hell (or anyone else that says they live here to get a job before they actually do live here).

It's kind of amusing the number of times you see people suggesting here that a person should never move here without having a job lined up. Knowing first hand the minimal number of employers offering relocation and the number of companies screening for local candidates, it seems hypocritical to get bent out of shape for something as harmless as temporarily impersonating a local.

Edited to add:
I would go to a TriStar hospital, not a Vanderbilt hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:01 PM

240 posts, read 452,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bspray View Post
Hyperbole much?

The OP isn't looking for a job as a physician, she is asking about a job in marketing.

Yes, many HR departments will dismiss your resume if you're not local regardless of your qualifications. I think it's great that your company hires people from all over the company. That doesn't mean they are the rule and not the exception.

When I was in the process of relocating here, I got a 615 number through Google Voice and forwarded that number to my cell phone.

I flew in for 3 days and multiple interviews with several companies. Never once did anyone give me more than a simple question regarding my commitment to move here when my location was discussed. I accepted an offer and have been with the company for several years now. I have interviewed many others hoping to work with my employer, I can assure you that we screen for local candidates until we get desperate and that doesn't happen often.

The company I work for is so large, it wouldn't surprise me if you and I actually worked for the same company - you with the experience that they hire from all over and me with the experience that non local resumes are screened out.

What I can say without question is, I got zero bites on my resume here in Nashville when it had a 210 area code on it and I started getting multiple calls and emails weekly when I changed it to 615. You are welcome to question my strength as a candidate - I will be happy to show you the number of emails I still get from recruiters weekly... and my tax return if you still have doubts.

I don't believe in God but I am pretty sure that if I did, he wouldn't condemn me to hell (or anyone else that says they live here to get a job before they actually do live here).

It's kind of amusing the number of times you see people suggesting here that a person should never move here without having a job lined up. Knowing first hand the minimal number of employers offering relocation and the number of companies screening for local candidates, it seems hypocritical to get bent out of shape for something as harmless as temporarily impersonating a local.

Edited to add:
I would go to a TriStar hospital, not a Vanderbilt hospital.
do you mean to work?

Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,743,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
do you mean to work?
hahahahaha

Old 03-21-2016, 02:21 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee9mee9 View Post
do you mean to work?
The idea of being laid off does not appeal to me in the least. I am talking about medical treatment of any kind.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:33 PM

235 posts, read 287,853 times
You can always say you'll be in town for a vacation and ask to schedule an interview. I did that many times when I wanted to move here from Ohio, and there were quite a few weekends I'd get off at midnight Friday, come home, get 4 hours sleep, then drive to ****cago. Then drive back the same day after a couple of interviews. I was ready to move, just had to give landlord 30 days and eventually landed a job. Saying you'll be in town seems to help open things up. Going to try it in a couple of weeks except fly instead of drive. Have one guy that said he'd see me, hope to get a few more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville