Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:05 PM

65 posts, read 142,330 times

Advertisements

NashVols: That Sky 5 Chopper and the weekly scenery shots are one of my favorite things about Nashville...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 04:22 PM

31 posts, read 43,767 times
I think Nashville is a very pretty city. Underrated imo

Old 05-27-2017, 02:26 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times
What types of trees are prevalent in Nashville area?

Old 05-28-2017, 07:19 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Plenty of trees that have flowers at the arrival of Spring. Plenty of trees that will display their Fall colors. Some pines to stay green year round.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:50 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/t...reeidguide.pdf

Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 AM

51 posts, read 44,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
I'm from Louisiana, and am interested in nashville. I was wondering if the city had pretty topography? I heard the city has hills and stuff, but how pretty is it, compared to a city like Atlanta? I'm considering moving to either of these cities, and I really want a city that has pretty scenery. For those who been to both, which one has better scenery?

In Louisiana the land is flat and there's a bunch of flats so I'm not coming from a too pretty place. Thanks for answering.

I'm from Louisiana and would say it's beautiful compared to louisiana. Son just moved to Franklin and he loves it

Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 AM

39 posts, read 76,463 times
I grew up in New Orleans. I LOVE Nashville for the scenery. I'm probably the only person that appreciates the exposed rock at the 65/OHB interchange, and anywhere else they've blasted to make way for roads. That kind of thing doesn't exist in Louisiana, anywhere. It sound silly to natives, I'm sure. But it's something I appreciate.

Nashville has just enough hills to make it beautiful, without having too many windy, narrow roads (like Knoxville).

It's also a much cleaner city than New Orleans.

I love the greenery, as well. And you don't have to go far to drive through the country, which is one of my favorite things to do.

I think the opposite end of this spectrum is the DFW metroplex. It's nothing but flat highways and concrete, with the occasional lake.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:53 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithps View Post
Both Atlanta and Nashville are relatively flat. They're no Omaha or anything, but small hills are all you're going to get.
Nashville is not "flat" by any means. It's extremely hilly towards the south (Brentwood and Franklin), west and northwest and north (as you approach the Cumberland Plateau), and flatter toward the southeast (Antioch, Smyrna and beyond). If you actually visit Brentwood, drive all the way up Long Street. It's definitely not "flat."

The central geographic area is known as the Cumberland Basin, which definitely has flatter parts, but it's actually hard to find an area of Nashville where you can see any significant distance to the horizon.

The downtown area progresses on an incline downward towards the river, which becomes a plain to the east. This is where the Opryland Hotel and Shelby Park and Shelby Bottoms are located. All of this area flooded during the May 2010 storms, when the city got 12-15 inches of rain in a weekend.

As far as being "pretty," it's absolutely gorgeous in the spring and fall. Try Warner Parks or Radnor.

Old 07-01-2017, 11:48 PM

371 posts, read 362,570 times
Default Yes...

Nashville is "pretty," that's the word. Nothing "grand" or "magnificent" about it. No mountains, no canyons, no lake or ocean blue stretching past the far horizon, and few long views at all. But it is pretty. Little hills pop up seemingly at random, another after another. Growing up there, I was barely aware that the city sits in a bowl, the Highland Rim, in the lee side of a flat-topped ridge. It's just too hard to find a broad view of the area.

Compared to Atlanta, Nashville's trees are not so tall, but more diverse. Dozens of species of hardwoods grow abundantly. The two are more the same than different, until you get downtown. Nashville's downtown is one of the most stimulating and lively scenes anywhere, and nobody claims that about Atlanta. Nashville was once a bigger, more important place than Atlanta, and its downtown shows it. It's as hilly as any other part of Nashville, so the Capitol sits on the highest hill like a Greek temple. That's the biggest difference between the two, I think.

Old 12-24-2021, 12:30 PM

82 posts, read 167,558 times
Nashville has areas with high hills, and rolling streets. It has shady streets, and attractive landscaping. Within city limis elevation range from 350ft to over 1,100 feet. In the suburban counties elevation reach up to 1,800 feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville