Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 PM

49 posts, read 218,528 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am posting this for my best friend. He would like to move to the Nashville area and heard Franklin and Brentwood were nice areas to move. Does anyone know any other areas that are nice. He would like to buy a home 3-4 bed 2-3 bath. Budget $300,000-$400,000. I know there are all kinds of stereotypes that are said about TN, so he wants to know if being gay down there would be a problem. He and his partner would be moving together and he wants a feel for everything before he just gets up and moves. I heard TN is very much conservative and areas are tight groups. So, if anyone has any thoughts can you please state them. Also how is work down there. He has a degree in communications and would need a job. Thanks for everyone's thoughts! Oh and please don't hold back. If you don't think that TN is good for 2 gay guys to move please say so and I will pass it on. Oh and he doesn't flaunt himself being gay. He is very good looking-non fem, clean cut, drives a benz and you wouldn't even know if he didn't tell you. He would like to stay private with his partner, but would like to know how accepting people are. I actually heard of 2 people I went to school with that came up to MI because their families didn't accept them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 02:53 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
Hi there. Buying something under $400,000 in Williamson County inside Brentwood might be tough, but there will definitely be plenty of options within Brentwood's city limits within Davidson County. Davidson County is also the county where Nashville, the city, resides, so living within Davidson County might be appealing to your friend. Franklin will have more options under $400,000, and it is completely located within Williamson County. It is a little further from the city, so if they want to be really close to the city, I'd suggest areas within Nashville like parts of West Nashville or East Nashville in addition to Brentwood, Davidson County. There are lots of great areas to live within the Nashville area, so those are just a couple of areas based on your question, but just know there are quite a few options out there for your friend.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:35 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
There are 2 houses that JUST went up on my street. PLEASE get them to move here. I'm from SF and my family is in gay-withdrawal

Seriously, I'll IM you the info.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Hi there. Buying something under $400,000 in Williamson County inside Brentwood might be tough, but there will definitely be plenty of options within Brentwood's city limits within Davidson County. Davidson County is also the county where Nashville, the city, resides, so living within Davidson County might be appealing to your friend. Franklin will have more options under $400,000, and it is completely located within Williamson County. It is a little further from the city, so if they want to be really close to the city, I'd suggest areas within Nashville like parts of West Nashville or East Nashville in addition to Brentwood, Davidson County. There are lots of great areas to live within the Nashville area, so those are just a couple of areas based on your question, but just know there are quite a few options out there for your friend.
I live inside Davidson County, but my zipcode is for Brentwood. However, it's not within the Brentwood city limits. I just wanted to clarify that for the OP, in case it really matters to them. To really be in Brentwood, they'd have to buy within Williamson County. There are no benefits that I see to having a Brentwood address inside Davidson County. It's just how the mail is routed.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,244 times
Well, if I were a gay man the LAST place I would want to live around here is Brentwood or Franklin...too white bread familyish...unless he has kids and wants to send them to public schools or just wants to say he lives in Brentwood I don't think it's really worth living in Williamson county for the premium you'll pay. They should move somewhere "cooler" where they will have more people like themselves to hang out with, etc...if I were gay and had the budget I would live in 12th South, East Nashville/Inglewood, Germantown/Salemtown. Somewhere close to Nashville-of course there are safety concerns being closer to Nashville, but unless you are in really bad 'hood, it shouldn't be a problem if houses are in the price range stated. I don't think being gay is a big deal here, I see people with rainbow stickers on cars at my work and it is a VERY conservative company in Franklin. They haven't been fired, ha. Nashville isn't quite an Atlanta as far as the number of gay people though.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
There are 2 houses that JUST went up on my street. PLEASE get them to move here. I'm from SF and my family is in gay-withdrawal

Seriously, I'll IM you the info.
Hey I think I got some kind of pop up, I don't know if that was your message, but I clicked out of it. Can you send again or E-mail me? Thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
Well, if I were a gay man the LAST place I would want to live around here is Brentwood or Franklin...too white bread familyish...unless he has kids and wants to send them to public schools or just wants to say he lives in Brentwood I don't think it's really worth living in Williamson county for the premium you'll pay. They should move somewhere "cooler" where they will have more people like themselves to hang out with, etc...if I were gay and had the budget I would live in 12th South, East Nashville/Inglewood, Germantown/Salemtown. Somewhere close to Nashville-of course there are safety concerns being closer to Nashville, but unless you are in really bad 'hood, it shouldn't be a problem if houses are in the price range stated. I don't think being gay is a big deal here, I see people with rainbow stickers on cars at my work and it is a VERY conservative company in Franklin. They haven't been fired, ha. Nashville isn't quite an Atlanta as far as the number of gay people though.
Oh ok thanks. I will pass on the info. So, you mean the white bread families wouldn't really want them around? I figured it might be like that down there, but I wanted to make sure because I am not from the south. They are really private, but he talked about not wanting his neighbors to ignore him etc.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:37 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblueNashville View Post
I live inside Davidson County, but my zipcode is for Brentwood. However, it's not within the Brentwood city limits. I just wanted to clarify that for the OP, in case it really matters to them. To really be in Brentwood, they'd have to buy within Williamson County. There are no benefits that I see to having a Brentwood address inside Davidson County. It's just how the mail is routed.
Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean there. There are plenty of homes within the Brentwood city limits that are in Davidson County. Many people I know that live in Brentwood in Davidson County have chosen to do so because they want to live in Brentwood but are not as concerned with being in Williamson County schools and paying Williamson County prices. Many people think it's very conveniently located to a lot of different areas, so I do believe there are plenty of benefits to certain people depending on what they seek. I do actually appreciate your opinion and respect it about the benefit or lack thereof, but do want to clarify that the comment...to be in Brentwood you have to buy in Williamson County...is not accurate.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Okay, my husband asked me to edit the "gay withdrawal" verbage, LOL!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:44 PM

222 posts, read 638,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Hmmm. I'm not sure what you mean there. There are plenty of homes within the Brentwood city limits that are in Davidson County. Many people I know that live in Brentwood in Davidson County have chosen to do so because they want to live in Brentwood but are not as concerned with being in Williamson County schools and paying Williamson County prices. Many people think it's very conveniently located to a lot of different areas, so I do believe there are plenty of benefits to certain people depending on what they seek. I do actually appreciate your opinion and respect it about the benefit or lack thereof, but do want to clarify that the comment...to be in Brentwood you have to buy in Williamson County...is not accurate.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that this isn't a nice area to live. It is very convenient and nice, but to say that it's actually within the Brentwood city limits seems deceiving to me. If that were true, then these home owners should be entitled to send their children to the Brentwood schools. I know that our area is not within the city limits of Brentwood. I know where the city lines are.

I'm fairly certain the names have nothing to do with anything other than efficient mailing, thus the zipcodes are divided up like they are. Within one small area we have, Brentwood (the real one within Williamson County), Brentwood (Davidson), Antioch, Nashville, Nolensville (real one within Williamson County), and Nolensville (Davidson). I don't mean to seem contrary, but to me if a person really lived within the city of Brentwood, then one would have all the advantages that go along with that.

Here's an article from the Tennessean that helps explain what I mean:
Hometown doesn't always match address - Nashville, Tennessee - Wednesday, 02/13/08 - Tennessean.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville