Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:52 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgefield D View Post
Glad you had a good time, lots of changes going on in Nashville

On the weekends we try out new restaurants (there's lots of them). We go to shows, music and otherwise.
Interesting. I just want to make sure it's not something that would get boring or routine quick, or "the magic and allure would wear off." I'm afraid of "everyday USA" and I was happy to see that Nashville had life outside of the core.

DC it was pretty easy to find a variety of activities that kept it fresh and I know Atlanta typically has something going on somewhere.

Quote:
As far as the drivers...you have to remember, this is a transplant city....
Yeah I noticed all the splits, it was pretty crazy. Even though everyone had TN tags, I understood it's a transplant area and you're going to have those pains.

Quote:
Keep doing your research and make sure you have a job lined up before you move. This is a healthy job market, but there is a lot of competition.
Okay well that's my big question. Some cities you can look from home, while some you have to actually have to have the city address for them to not throw away your resume, like LA.

What is Nashville? Is having my South Carolina address fine or are people going to go "oof, there's no TN next to his city, trash can?"

Atlanta and Charlotte I will use my SC address because I'm not far. DC I was using it, but then went and stayed with a cousin for a month so I could use my old address. I can't stay with anyone in Nashville that long. Will that be a problem with HR?

Ps I notice your name is "Edgefield", do you happen to be from SC too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:26 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
Will that be a problem with HR?

As a waiter, no. What is your field? Hard to say not knowing what you are looking for. As EF said, " This is a healthy job market, but there is a lot of competition."

Quote:
During the week...we go to work, the gym, typical things you would do in any other city.
HA!! Do people fantasize we live in a no-work Shangri-la???? I wish!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,623 times
As far as getting bored, I think it kind of depends on the person. I realize that due to my age and everything, I may not be the best person to tell someone in their 20s all the fun stuff there is to do. I think for it's size, Nashville has a lot to offer. There is something going on every night. But, it's not DC or Atlanta. You just can't compare it to those places. I think you can safely compare it to Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh...places like that. Also, Nashville is more of a creative city (live music, art shows, theater etc.) rather than a place where you will find dance clubs or ultra hip cocktail clubs (even though we have some great bars....and they aren't all on lower Broadway).

I haven't been on a job search in quite some time. I'm guessing it's probably going to be more difficult if you use a SC address...only because, HR people have many people to choose from...adding another state address just adds another way for them to look at the next person. However, it probably depends on your field and experience. Just looking at the way it works here at my job....we have had out of state applicants come in for interviews. It depends on the job though.

If it were me...I would use your cousin's address on your resume and list your own phone number and email. People don't pay attention to area codes anymore.

Actually, Edgefield is the name of the neighborhood I live in....I haven't been to South Carolina. I'm not opposed...I just haven't been there yet.

Last edited by Edgefield D; 05-30-2017 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: incorrect use of their...

Old 05-30-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
As a waiter, no. What is your field? Hard to say not knowing what you are looking for. As EF said, " This is a healthy job market, but there is a lot of competition."
I think I said in the OP. Apologies if I didnt. I'm in communications and my girlfriend is in psychology. Nashville being huge in healthcare would be a big plus for her.

I know every city has comm/marketing, I just don't know how big of a factor it is with Nashville. DC is a huge comm hub and I'm finding DC to be very, very competitive even with my connections.

I read that Nashville is growing in the real estate field too, and I have non-agent experience in that as well.

Quote:
As far as getting bored, I think it kind of depends on the person. I realize that due to my age and everything, I may not be the best person to tell someone in their 20s all the fun stuff there is to do. I think for it's size, Nashville has a lot to offer. There is something going on every night. But, it's not DC or Atlanta. You just can't compare it to those places. I think you can safely compare it to Charlotte, Austin, Raleigh...places like that. Also, Nashville is more of a creative city (live music, art shows, theater etc.) rather than a place where you will find dance clubs or ultra hip cocktail clubs (even though we have some great bars....and they aren't all on lower Broadway).

I haven't been on a job search in quite some time. I'm guessing it's probably going to be more difficult if you use a SC address...only because, HR people have many people to choose from...adding another state address just adds another way for them to look at the next person. However, it probably depends on your field and experience. Just looking at the way it works here at my job....we have had out of state applicants come in for interviews. It depends on the job though.

If it were me...I would use your cousin's address on your resume and list your own phone number and email. People don't pay attention to area codes anymore.

Actually, Edgefield is the name of the neighborhood I live in....I haven't been to South Carolina. I'm not opposed...I just haven't been there yet.
I don't have relatives in Nashville. The cousin I was talking about lives in Maryland. It's very frustrating because people everywhere, on and off city data, say "you have to live here first", but then also say "have a job lined up before you move here." And you're like "okay which one is it???" It's tough.

And I understand. Yeah I don't need clubs and stuff every night, but that is good to know. I just like things to keep me busy. I see Topgolf is coming, that is great. I like minigolf, going to festivals and markets, etc, easy general things like that. In Charleston and DC I spent a lot of time at the waterfronts and green space. Even going to the mall is typically a good time out of the house. Nashville has no MLB like the Nationals, but how are Sounds games? Still a good, live crowd?

DC had a lot of free activities with the zoo, Smithsonians, summer movies outside, jazz in the park, street festivals, art galleries, etc. Does Nashville have similar free or at least cheap activities? And science is my passion, does Nashville have any kind of science center or IMAX (that plays more than Hollywood movies) or anything?

And okay, the only city and county of Edgefield is in SC, so I was curious. Yes, come visit us some time!

Old 05-30-2017, 12:25 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
DC had a lot of free activities with the zoo, Smithsonians, summer movies outside, jazz in the park, street festivals, art galleries, etc. Does Nashville have similar free or at least cheap activities? And science is my passion, does Nashville have any kind of science center or IMAX (that plays more than Hollywood movies) or anything?

And okay, the only city and county of Edgefield is in SC, so I was curious. Yes, come visit us some time!
DC is good for free activities. Our taxes pay for all those free things. I can't think of many other cities on the planet with as many free museums as DC.

Nashville does have a nice science center/planetarium:
Adventure Science Center - Nashville, TN Museum

and an IMAX:
https://www.imax.com/theatres/regal-...tadium-20-imax

a decent, 200-acre zoo:
https://www.nashvillezoo.org/

80 miles of bike trails and 190 miles of hiking trails throughout the city:
http://www.nashville.gov/Parks-and-R...nd-Trails.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxhMyb-LPo

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 05-30-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I don't have relatives in Nashville. The cousin I was talking about lives in Maryland. It's very frustrating because people everywhere, on and off city data, say "you have to live here first", but then also say "have a job lined up before you move here." And you're like "okay which one is it???" It's tough.

And I understand. Yeah I don't need clubs and stuff every night, but that is good to know. I just like things to keep me busy. I see Topgolf is coming, that is great. I like minigolf, going to festivals and markets, etc, easy general things like that. In Charleston and DC I spent a lot of time at the waterfronts and green space. Even going to the mall is typically a good time out of the house. Nashville has no MLB like the Nationals, but how are Sounds games? Still a good, live crowd?

I get the frustration of "have a job lined up, but use a local address". I know people sometimes move to cities without a job...it just sounds like a scary prospect to me. Sorry, I misunderstood...I thought you had a cousin that already lived here. If your girlfriend is moving here too...maybe at least one of you would have a job first.

Yes, Topgolf is taking shape. We have lots of festivals and markets...etc. You would have enough to keep you busy in that department. It's difficult to know what people find an interest in when you communicating in a forum. The Sounds have a new stadium and it's fun to go to games (and cheaper than MLB). Yes, IMAX is at Opry Mills. The Adventure Science Center is geared more for kids...but I had fun when I took my niece. They play science movies in the plantarium. The Nashville Scene has listings of what's going on around town. Home | Nashville Scene That should give you an idea.

Based on your interests....I don't think you will be bored. Most of this stuff isn't free (like DC)....but it's not all that expensive either.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:41 PM

Sorry...I'm a slow responder....JMT and N. Cal beat me to some of this.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
I apologize if there's already a million "Nashville?" threads. I live in SC and got the chance to visit Nashville this weekend. It was already on my shortlist, but I have to say I was blown away with what I saw after finally getting to see it in person.

A few things I loved: housing going up everywhere. Everyone talks about how much Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, and Charleston are growing, I don't know why Nashville has been left out of that talk. Plus downtown was dotted with cranes. It was really great to see. That shows a healthy city.

Nashville is also the most walkable southern city I've seen, even more so than Charleston. Downtown/Broadway, Music Row/Vanderbilt, Gulch, 12 South, and the Riverfront looks poised. I heard Topgolf on the way, which is exciting. I still drive most places, but I am still a big fan of walkability. I lived in DC last year and that's one of the big things I miss.

I was also very impressed by the neighborhoods. I saw Sylvan Park, Brentwood, southern Nashville area, and much of inside 440. I also made it out to the Mills. And I didn't know Nashville was such a food city. Everywhere had lines and there was a surprising amount of non-chains. For that reason I didn't get to try Pancake Pantry, but I did try Hattie B's and Biscuit Love, the latter of which was free so that was awesome.

Broadway was awesome of course, during the day and night, but I liked how there seemed to be more than that around the city. I've been reading the development thread. Seems like a lot is going on.

Can I get an honest assessment of Nashville? I am strongly considering it now. I know it's a hip city (USN ranked it 12th for 2017 cities), but it doesn't seem like it's at that annoying level of hip. What do locals do when they want a break from the Broadway/downtown madness?

It's not too small, but also not Atlanta and DC massive. 1.8 million actually doesn't sound that bad when comparing with 6 million. And the city felt bigger than it was. It reminds me of a much bigger version of Greenville, SC.

The drivers weren't friendly, but the people were. Great food, great atmosphere, and I like the hilly landscape and the fact that theres construction and cranes all over the place. According to some web sites, Nashville's COL is actually below the natl average. I know that's just a general assessment, but the city still looks much cheaper than the expense I was used too with Charleston and DC so that's a huge plus. I am 23 and African American with a degree in communications. My girlfriend has a degree in Psychology.

The only huge negative off the top of my head was being so far inland, and the drivers. I have never seen such ridiculous driving. It was so bad that my cousins and I couldn't even get mad anymore and we just laughed at it all. Lack of public trans also stinks as I got used to Metro in DC.

So could I get some more information on Nashville? It was on my short list before, but now its on my short short list. I never thought I could live in an inland state, but Tennessee might be a good candidate. Came into the city on I40 and left on I24. Very beautiful and calm drive for the most part.

Thanks everyone.

This is funny how us Blacks are starting to Discover Nashville and finally seeing its not what it was once stereotyped to be, Country Music City but a real true and Diverse City, growing and vibrant city that happens to embrace music. I love the vibe of the City as well and considering a move there... Your right though the main down side is the lack of Rapid Transit, I think the reason being its it Took off in growth and out grew it's infrastructure which so many Cities do but it does have Buses and a Commuter Rail line that is far to small for a City its size. They are in the process of working on building a Light Rail System through out the City though in coming years. I said it though, the more we start to discover/visit the City the more we would fall in love with it. Blacks aren't the only ones discovering what Nashville has to offer either.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
DC is good for free activities. Our taxes pay for all those free things. I can't think of many other cities on the planet with as many free museums as DC.

Nashville does have a nice science center/planetarium:
Adventure Science Center - Nashville, TN Museum

and an IMAX:
https://www.imax.com/theatres/regal-...tadium-20-imax

a decent, 200-acre zoo:
https://www.nashvillezoo.org/

80 miles of bike trails and 190 miles of hiking trails throughout the city:
Nashville > Parks and Recreation > Greenways and Trails

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vxhMyb-LPo
That video was the cheesiest thing I've seen . But the beat was pretty catchy. I really like all the green and trails. That's awesome. Great links, thanks for those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This is funny how us Blacks are starting to Discover Nashville and finally seeing its not what it was once stereotyped to be, Country Music City but a real true and Diverse City, growing and vibrant city that happens to embrace music. I love the vibe of the City as well and considering a move there... Your right though the main down side is the lack of Rapid Transit, I think the reason being its it Took off in growth and out grew it's infrastructure which so many Cities do but it does have Buses and a Commuter Rail line that is far to small for a City its size. They are in the process of working on building a Light Rail System through out the City though in coming years. I said it though, the more we start to discover/visit the City the more we would fall in love with it. Blacks aren't the only ones discovering what Nashville has to offer either.
Yep until last week I only knew Nashville for it's stereotypes. I had always saw Nashville as Charlotte's little sister. Wasnt expecting so many food places, walkable places, trees, life outside of downtown, or nascar on the freeways. Good to see it beat my expectations.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I get the frustration of "have a job lined up, but use a local address". I know people sometimes move to cities without a job...it just sounds like a scary prospect to me. Sorry, I misunderstood...I thought you had a cousin that already lived here. If your girlfriend is moving here too...maybe at least one of you would have a job first.

Yes, Topgolf is taking shape. We have lots of festivals and markets...etc. You would have enough to keep you busy in that department. It's difficult to know what people find an interest in when you communicating in a forum. The Sounds have a new stadium and it's fun to go to games (and cheaper than MLB). Yes, IMAX is at Opry Mills. The Adventure Science Center is geared more for kids...but I had fun when I took my niece. They play science movies in the plantarium. The Nashville Scene has listings of what's going on around town. Home | Nashville Scene That should give you an idea.

Based on your interests....I don't think you will be bored. Most of this stuff isn't free (like DC)....but it's not all that expensive either.
Yeah it's a scary prospect to me too. Hopefully people will care more about what's on my resume than what my address is and at least give me a chance for a phone interview. Nashville doesn't come off as a place to me where you absolutely need to be here first, so I hope that's the case.

Good info, those all sound great. Yep that's what I mean by keeping busy. All the nightlife and music etc is a great perk, but I really appreciate little things too like a game of mini golf or just walking through an outdoor market, even if I know I'm not going to be buying anything.

I'll give that link a look, thank you for that. The first place my cousins and I went to was Cumberland Park/River Lawn. That seems like a perfect place for outdoor movies. Do they have those there?

Quote:
Sorry...I'm a slow responder....JMT and N. Cal beat me to some of this.
No worries. I appreciate all the info you've all been providing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville