Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:31 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,084 times

Advertisements

Mayor of Nashville unveils Massive Transit Plan, over 5 Billion which includes Light rail and Tunnel.

Mayor Barry unveils $5.2 billion transit plan for Nashville | WKRN News 2

Mayor Barry unveils sweeping $5.2 billion transit proposal for Nashville with light rail, massive tunnel, bus upgrades
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 PM

800 posts, read 952,191 times
This is very exciting news. What's interesting about this plan is that it completely ignores West End/Vanderbilt, which is where I always assumed a plan would start. That's where this is tons of ridership right now. But by building on these four radial roads instead, a lot of future development will be to some extent dispersed. This will keep that area from getting overbuilt. There is a lot of opportunity to redo the streetscapes of Nolensville, Gallatin, and Charlotte. Make them into something really nice. Seattle did this with their MLK light rail about ten years ago.

So if Nashville keeps growing at a speedy clip and it looks like it's going to hit 3 million by 2035, they could build a subway line under Broadway that heads to Vanderbilt. That line could interchange with the planned station at 5th in front of the arena.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I can't wait to see what the voters will say. LRT isn't cheap. Nashville can't move forward with without increasing taxes. If you want big city things you have to pay for them.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:25 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
This is very exciting news. What's interesting about this plan is that it completely ignores West End/Vanderbilt, which is where I always assumed a plan would start. That's where this is tons of ridership right now. But by building on these four radial roads instead, a lot of future development will be to some extent dispersed. This will keep that area from getting overbuilt. There is a lot of opportunity to redo the streetscapes of Nolensville, Gallatin, and Charlotte. Make them into something really nice. Seattle did this with their MLK light rail about ten years ago.

So if Nashville keeps growing at a speedy clip and it looks like it's going to hit 3 million by 2035, they could build a subway line under Broadway that heads to Vanderbilt. That line could interchange with the planned station at 5th in front of the arena.
they tried starting along West End/Vanderbilt and Lee Beaman along with the Americans for Prosperity killed the AMP project. (I will never buy a car from Beaman)

Old 10-18-2017, 09:15 AM

4,347 posts, read 4,724,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I can't wait to see what the voters will say. LRT isn't cheap. Nashville can't move forward with without increasing taxes. If you want big city things you have to pay for them.
Thankfully there are a lot of transplants now here who know, have used and will use public transportation. And who know that they must be paid for.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:00 AM

>they tried starting along West End/Vanderbilt and Lee Beaman along with the Americans for Prosperity killed the AMP project. (I will never buy a car from Beaman)

I believe that the AMP project attempted to use TIGER new-starts grants or something else from the Obama era and they were going to try to do it without raising taxes. Local politicians didn't put a lot of capital behind it and let it die.

This proposal is totally different. They got the current mayor and three previous mayors to come out to the press conference. That's a huge deal. That shows that this plan has broad support amongst political donors, who are usually the area's largest business and real estate guys.

Look at how the Tennesseean article give the Tea Party just two sentences. The poor little Tea Party is about to get run over with some steel flanged wheels. Big business is going to buy off the opposition and make them go away. This thing is going to pass.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Thankfully there are a lot of transplants now here who know, have used and will use public transportation. And who know that they must be paid for.
Yes!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,475,272 times
First: I'm very excited about the proposal. While it'll cost a ton and create all kinds of headaches to build and take years to create, I think it's the kind of big splash the city needs to make a significant dent in what is becoming a stifling problem. It also piggybacks well with the airport expansion (did anyone else notice the light rail connection to BNA?).

That said, if I'm a council member, I have a very hard time getting behind it. The hotel and sales tax increases seem reasonable enough. But a 20% business tax increase? That's huge. And potentially harmful. While I'm also being asked to consider a MLS stadium and airport expansion?

I'm sure more data will come out on how they came about that figure and why it's justifiable...but knee-jerk reaction is that seems a bit high. Now, is it still necessary? I could see that it might be. But if I'm a small business owner in Davidson County, a 20% business tax increase stings...and makes me entertain the idea of moving.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to it...but I think there's going to have to be one heck of a sales job to get it through as is.

Too bad there's going to be no financial support at the state level for the proposal.

edit: So I forgot about the referendum part...the sales tax and business tax increases will have to be approved by voters via referendum in May.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 10-19-2017 at 08:13 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 08:18 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,480,084 times
I have to Totally Agree, this is the Shot in the Arm Nashville Needs and well over due!!! I'm wondering though, and i'm sure this be passed on or at least provided in the Amazon's bid as what's to come. I know it hasn't even passed yet but as some earlier posters have stated it is likely to Pass for several reasons. Could this be a serious selling factor for the city in it's bid. I think the biggest thing that people tend to forget is these Amazon offices, jobs and projects are going to take years before it's completed, constructed, etc., just like Nashville Transit Upgrades. This will all be a process... I know we tend to look at Nashville as a Dark horse but depending on what Amazon is looking for you might want to lighten the horse a bit, it just might Surprise us All!!!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 AM

The high sales tax is what Nashville gets for being in a "low-tax" state. No state income tax and no municipal earnings tax means sales tax must be high. I saw someone elsewhere snort "remind me to not buy a car in that county". When this thing is running you won't need one.

If this thing passes in May we're going to see an explosion of new construction in areas where there has already been a smattering of new construction. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2-3 year-old new construction single-family homes near Trevecca Nazarene demolished for high-rises.

One of my friends bought a typical house right off of Gallatin Pike for $100k back in 2010. The thing could already fetch $300k and since he's the first house off the main drag he'll be able to hold out when a developer comes along to knock it down. He might be able to get $400k for the thing by this time next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: