Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:35 PM

9 posts, read 24,067 times

Advertisements

My family is considering making a move to Tennessee in the next couple of years. I am beginning some initial groundwork now on possible communities that would fit our lifestyle and needs. My husband is in the HR field and would need to be within commuting distance from a location with larger companies (hospital, corporate offices, etc.) in which to find a dependable job. Some communities of interest to us are Franklin, Spring Hills, Hendersonville, Brentwood, and Mt. Juliet. I would like to live in a safe area with good school systems. However, what is very important to my husband and I is finding a nice home with at least 3 acres of land. We want to feel like we are away from the city, but at the same time be only a 10-15 minute drive or so to restaurants, groceries, etc. I would greatly appreciate any advice or views on some of the areas I mentioned. Obviously pricing is going to be much higher in Brentwood, but I am only interested in learning about the areas now and how they meet our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
All of the towns you mentioned are generally nice areas. The commute might be a little long from Spring Hill, depending on where you actually end up working.

I'll add another couple of areas to consider since you looking for more land than a typical suburban lot: Kingston Springs and Leiper's Fork.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:12 PM

317 posts, read 1,230,813 times
In most of those areas, including the ones alleycat mentioned, you should be able to get to major conveniences rather quickly. The options will vary a bit, but the cities you mentioned all have their own things to offer.

Areas around Franklin (which does include Leipers Fork) might be a 20-40 minute commute to downtown depending on how far into Franklin you live, but the area of Cools Springs which straddles the Brentwood/Franklin line (most of which is in Franklin), has a shopping mall and just about every modern convenience, chain restaurant and other service you would need and then some. There are some local establishments in that area, but I'm just trying to say it is packed with options and most everything in that area is fairly new. The area of Downtown Franklin might also be within a short drive of your home in Franklin or Leipers Fork. It is surrounded with historic homes and is a really neat area with more restaurants and shopping with some unique things to offer there again, usually within a 10-15 minute drive (or less) of where your land may be.
Brentwood is just north of Franklin, so it is a little closer to Downtown. Depending on where you live in Brentwood, it could take you 15 - 25 minutes to get downtown without traffic issues. Again, in Brentwood, you have easy access to the Cool Springs area within a few minutes and there are a few pockets of retail along Franklin Road, at the Old Hickory Blvd exit, etc. Over the next 5-10 years, Brentwood will be developing a new Towne Center right around Franklin Road, Church/Maryland Way, Old Hickory Blvd areas. Franklin Road will actually go right through the middle of it.

Spring Hill is quite a bit further south than Franklin, so that commute could probably get old really quickly. I know plenty of people who do it, and wish there was another option. Most of that area is getting consumed by small subdivisions. They are definitely building more commercial spaces right now, but they built tons of homes before they started building the commercial areas to support it. It is getting better and has lots of development in store. However, many will still drive to Cool Springs for even more options. Land near Spring Hill would probably be best found in the area called Thompsons Station. It is between Franklin and Spring Hill.

Brentwood, Franklin, Thompsons Station and Spring Hill are all within Williamson County.

Nolensville, also in Williamson County, is experiencing quite a bit of growth and will also have a few options for homes with acreage too. They are in the process of really building up the Nolensville Road area where 4 cities all meet and intersect. Right where all the commercial plans are going, it could be Nashville, Nolensville, Antioch, or Brentwood depending on what direction you're facing. There is not too much there yet, and it doesn't sound like it would be enough today for what you are seeking, but it's an area to watch and at least check out.

Mount Juliet, in Wilson County, again, depending on where you are could be 20-45 minutes to Downtown. Parts of Mount Juliet are near or on the lake (Old Hickory Lake), so if you're navigating around it, it will be on the longer side. However, if you are into boating, both this and Hendersonville will be attractive options from that standpoint. Mount Juliet has experienced some recent growth with the addition of the new Providence MarketPlace. You can go here (http://www.crosland.com/retail/properties/providence_marketplace/ (broken link)) to see the shops, restaurants and services you could expect to find there.

Hendersonville is also on Old Hickory Lake, which again, might be an added bonus if you like being near a lake. Although there has been some new growth much of the commercial area there has been around awhile. Still it has most of what anyone would expect in modern conveniences. Hendersonville is in Sumner County. Hendersonville's North of the city and probably 25-45 minute drive into the city.

To check out the schools in the counties I mentioned for each city, a good source might be the actual school boards, but also something like GreatSchools.net or schoolmatters.com.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Try looking farther out in Franklin for a house with land. Lots of HQs in Cool Springs. You might luck out in both areas.

Good luck!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denawilliams View Post
Brentwood, Franklin, Thompsons Station and Spring Hill are all within Williamson County.
Half of Spring Hill is in Maury County, unless Williamson County finally decided to swallow the rest of it.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:00 PM

71 posts, read 408,404 times
Sorry if I'm repeating the previous posters, but I don't have enough time right now to read them all.

You didn't say what your budget was, but homes with land aren't cheap. I know in Franklin, Brentwood and Hendersonville you're looking at over 250k at least (which is still very reasonable compared to many parts of the country). The only town I would commute from would be Hendersonville, the rest are just a nightmare in traffic. Spring Hill is booming, it's pretty nice. Hendersonville is sort of the next big spot. Not as far away or as expensive as Brentwood/Franklin but nice and has good schools.

Honestly, I would go further out. Try looking into Gallatin, Portland, Ashland City...

If it matters to you, crime spreads outward from the city. Keep that in mind when choosing your town, especially if you have kids.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:07 PM

Wow, that's a surprise. I thought I might have read that wrong, but nope- you're saying Hendersonville is the only commute you WOULD make. I'd choose the Franklin/Brentwood drive over Hendersonville's any day. As would my friends who commute from Hendersonville

You're right about homes being over 250, though.

Hendersonville's great. On the water, nice neighborhoods... but not nice enough for me to deal with the commute traffic. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM

71 posts, read 408,404 times
That's funny, because it only takes me 20 minutes to get downtown. I spend longer sitting in traffic around Vanderbilt than it takes me to get down there!Maybe it is the hours? Traffic seems heavier the earlier in the morning and evening. Then again, I came from the city with the largest area in the lower 48 and a 2 hour commute was normal. It was awful.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:40 PM

I hear that. It's all relative! The worst traffic here is better than I had it in SF.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:24 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I hear that. It's all relative! The worst traffic here is better than I had it in SF.
It does make a big difference around here what time someone is traveling, and exactly where they start from and where they're going.

Years ago I worked downtown on 3rd Ave. N (when the one-way streets were slightly different than they are now). I parked in a garage on Commerce Street. In the evening I would exit the garage, stop at the light at 3rd, turn and go down 3rd, stop at the light at Broadway, turn and go down Broadway, stop at the light at 2nd Ave., turn up 2nd Ave., stop at the light at Commerce. I would look over and see the garage where I parked . . . so, after five or ten minutes, I was back almost to the same place I had started from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville