Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2018, 09:19 PM

200 posts, read 324,592 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to move to Nashville & would like to know 2 things:
I'm a musician (Piano) & I would like to know:

1) Can someone tell me any (particular?) areas or places that I can go to just practice & chill out in an environment w/out any pressures & no judgements in the Nashville area (I'm open to surrounding areas like Mt. Juliet, etc.)?

I've been to the "Art Crawl" event during the "Artober Fest" & saw some of the Art Galleries in the Arcade as well as I've visited "Frist", but what I like to know is:

2) Are there any Galleries (or Museums) that have the old art - Salvado Dali "Persistence of Memory", Van Gogh, Picasso, etc.??

I think I only saw Contemporary works of art in Arcade & not too much artwork in "Frist".

Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 02:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Noticed you never received a reply here. So I'm mainly bumping this up for you, as I'm not a big Arts and Croissant sort of guy.

The art crawl events are probably not where you'll find the art you're looking for. Lots of that is from local/regional artists. There are several galleries along 5th Avenue, which is around the Arcade.

First off, you should not worry a bit about the music end of the arts. There are spots where you can practice, like at Belmont University and Blair School of Music. And if you'd like to teach kids, there's a school for lower income students that's fantastic. I used to help there when I was in college and got to use their music rooms. I'm a dilettante musician, but there were no shortage of places to meet other musicians. You can find them at any bar (only half-joking). But seriously, you will meet people at churches, classifieds, even in sports cliques. And that's probably where most musicians in Nashville practice. Like any other city, their living rooms, basements and garages. I've heard there are some newer apartment complexes that have music rooms. If your looking for professional acoustics and mixing boards, you're going to have to go to the studios for that. And you might catch some low rents, but studios on Music Row are nearly always booked. I used to know of some studios around Metro Center, East Nashville and Madison, but that was years ago.

As far as galleries for more traditional art, Nashville compares well with other similarly sized cities. The longstanding art gallery there is Cheekwood, which has the classical art galleries and botanic gardens. It is located in suburban Belle Meade. https://cheekwood.org/ This page will list some of there more notable artists https://cheekwood.org/explore/art-4/...nt-collection/

The Frist is still new; less than 20 years old. It does not have a large permanent collection but takes pieces from all around the world on a rotational basis. Nashville, TN Community Art Gallery*-*Frist Center for the Visual Arts You'll just have to hit that one when you see them exhibit the art you like.

There's also the Joseph Stiglitz and Georgia O'Keeffe gallery at Fisk University. That's a great place to see mid-century photography and O'keeffe's unique paintings.

I don't think there are any Renoir's or Dali's at any of the galleries in Nashville. Pretty sure I saw some Picasso's and at least a Van Gogh at Cheekwood years ago but can't swear that was part of their collection. Shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a catalogue for Cheekwood.

Good luck!

Last edited by shinestx; 02-14-2018 at 03:16 PM..

Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 PM

3,048 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm planning to move to Nashville & would like to know 2 things:
I'm a musician (Piano) & I would like to know:

1) Can someone tell me any (particular?) areas or places that I can go to just practice & chill out in an environment w/out any pressures & no judgements in the Nashville area (I'm open to surrounding areas like Mt. Juliet, etc.)?

I've been to the "Art Crawl" event during the "Artober Fest" & saw some of the Art Galleries in the Arcade as well as I've visited "Frist", but what I like to know is:

2) Are there any Galleries (or Museums) that have the old art - Salvado Dali "Persistence of Memory", Van Gogh, Picasso, etc.??

I think I only saw Contemporary works of art in Arcade & not too much artwork in "Frist".

Please let me know. I'm open to any suggestions.

THe Frist is Nashville's art museum. There is some art indoors at Cheekwood. I doubt if anything would compare to the Art Institute of Chicago, anything in New York or Washington DC.

For piano music not pop or country maybe some programs at Blair @ Vanderbilt or Belmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: