Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could Nashville take some growth lessons from Atlanta?
Yes...Atlanta is doing a decent job in at least attempting to improve the way it grows around Transit and Freeways in spite its sprawl and Traffic. 8 34.78%
No...Atlanta's way is a bad example and model. 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 10:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,503,424 times

Advertisements

Could Nashville take some notes and growth lessons from Atlanta after all... https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ten...amp/1294145002
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 02:00 PM

184 posts, read 207,488 times
Atlanta's traffic is horrible.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Atlanta's traffic is horrible.

I Agree! I have to also say that Nashville's Traffic isn't much better or too far behind and that at least Atlanta is making strides to give it's citizens more options in the Transit department. Even though I'm losing my zest for the place, i have to give it some credit. Nashville on the other hand hasn't faced the facts yet that it's Traffic problems are not going to go away or improve and are only going to get worse, it's Time to start offering it's citizen other options to get around besides a Car or Bus...

Old 10-02-2018, 11:01 AM

7,902 posts, read 11,484,331 times
Atlanta? Nope

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM

1,180 posts, read 994,973 times
The beltline has become a template for a few cities. Atlanta's traffic is bad but the city did manage to get a transit initiative passed.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:46 PM

71 posts, read 82,001 times
I try not to laugh when people compare Nashville traffic to Atlanta's. I lived in Atlanta from 2011-2012, and our traffic is no where near as bad as Atlanta traffic was 6 years ago (and I imagine Atlanta traffic has become even worse since then). Atlanta will have standstill traffic on the interstate at 2p on a Saturday for no reason - no wreck, no construction, nothing. At least Nashville traffic usually revolves around rush hour and events being held downtown.

That being said, in the 3.5+ years I've lived in Nashville, traffic has definitely gotten worse, and I don't see it improving anytime soon. Rush hour lasts far longer than it used.

Old 10-02-2018, 02:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 9,043,970 times
I've lived in big cities and small cities.

Atlanta has 6 million people so traffic is going to be bad. Nashville hasn't hit 2 million and traffic is much worse when considering QOL expetations for that size metro.

Transit options in Nashville will do nothing but increase capacity for Nashville growth and make the area a better place to live.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:49 PM

176 posts, read 181,703 times
I haven't ever dealt with Atlanta traffic, but compared to Houston I've found Nashville to be a breeze. With that said, there are definitely a lot of choke points, pretty much all centered around the horrible Interstate interchanges or just about any road merger. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have the I-24 northbound traffic have to move over 2-3 lanes to stay on I-24 instead of taking I-40.. and the 440 traffic that wants to take I-40 East have to move over 2-3 lanes at the same time was smoking something. Especially when you are talking about what.. 1 mile to jockey all that traffic around? And that's not even talking about entrances like Church street for someone wanting to take I-40 E who not only have to merge into standstill traffic but get over 3 lanes of standstill traffic in 1/2 mile.

I can't comment too much about "city traffic" or non-Interstate routes but I know there are a lot of issues there also (West End from Vanderbuilt to 440 is crazy at rush hour). I'll still take West End or Downtown Nashville traffic over Westheimer or Downtown Houston traffic any day

Unfortunately, I really feel that the topography of Nashville makes it difficult to compare and draw ideas from other cities when it comes to transportation. The convergence of three main Interstates and the political logistics between city/state/county/nation that is involved for fixing those highways doesn't give me a lot of hope for improvement anytime soon.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
I try not to laugh when people compare Nashville traffic to Atlanta's. I lived in Atlanta from 2011-2012, and our traffic is no where near as bad as Atlanta traffic was 6 years ago (and I imagine Atlanta traffic has become even worse since then). Atlanta will have standstill traffic on the interstate at 2p on a Saturday for no reason - no wreck, no construction, nothing. At least Nashville traffic usually revolves around rush hour and events being held downtown.

That being said, in the 3.5+ years I've lived in Nashville, traffic has definitely gotten worse, and I don't see it improving anytime soon. Rush hour lasts far longer than it used.

Nothing to laugh about and I cant agree.. From me visiting Nashville as much as I do and living in Atlanta for almost 20 years, I can't see where Nashville Traffic is that far behind Atlanta's and it has nothing to do with size but inadequate Infrastructure, not to mention the growth rate of Nashville. I have been in Nashville Traffic even on weekends just like I have in Atlanta as well as off rush hour times. Not to mention it seems the people drive very aggressive up there IMO... Atlanta didn't prepare well but it has definitely done a better job than Nashville in this department and it's time for it to catch up. The Traffic may not be as bad as Atlanta but it Bad! I notice a lot of people keep stating Nashville hasn't crossed the 2,000,000 mark yet but it's O so clear it has at it's Growth rate and the boom of the city no matter what the past numbers may say. I'm sure there are ton's of immigrants not counted either. By the 2020 Census o the numbers will surly show regardless...

Old 10-03-2018, 11:56 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,098,839 times
Never lived in Atlanta, but I've lived in several metro areas to compare with traffic wise. I would probably rank Nashville 2nd best out of the 5 I've dealt with.

Worst- Los Angeles (shocker)
Seattle
Miami/Ft Lauderdale
Nashville
Best - San Diego

San Diego is surprisingly not that terrible for traffic despite the Southern California stereotype. Regarding Atlanta, I don't want Nashville to evolve into that, but I'm not naive enough to think we couldn't learn SOMETHING. They actually have public transit, and it's something Nashville is going to have to embrace because, I could be wrong here, traffic shouldn't be as bad as it is in a metro area that hasn't reached 2 million yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: