Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 42,021 times

Advertisements

For the past 2 nights, I've been hearing a bird across the street making the strangest sounds, and again tonight. I live in the Hermitage area and I've never heard this bird before. I'm not too familiar with a lot of different bird calls, so I have no idea what kind of bird this is, but I'd be interested in finding out.

What's so strange about the sounds this bird makes is they are not consistant. What I mean is, they change. It will go through a whole series of different sounds. It will make one sound a couple times, then change to a new sound, and so on and this will continue all night long. This one bird can make you think it's more than one different kind of bird with all the different calls it makes. Plus the fact it does this at night, making it virtually impossible to track it down to see it. It does give a nice sense of springtime sounds, so it's not a bother or anything. I just would like to find out what kind of bird this might be.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Could it be a mockingbird.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:33 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Well, it sounds like a mockingbird, but I don't remember them as being that chatty at night. A lot of birds will chirp at night at this time of year ("Hey, girls, I'm here and ready!"). If you're sure it's just one bird then I would still guess it's a mockingbird. Are there lights around so that it might seem like it's morning to a bird?

Old 04-09-2008, 05:57 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times
When you do find Mr. Mockingbird, or any Mockingbird, just watch them as they go through their repertoire. Fascinating. I'm sure your nighttime bird isn't the only one. I have multiple nests in my backyard, so the cats and I are prepping for the aerial assaults after the spring hatching. Bike helmet, maybe. The feathered critters can be downright persistent.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:59 AM

97 posts, read 245,245 times
I like mockingbirds, and that's certainly what it sounds like. They're fun to listen to.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 42,021 times
I think you guys are right. I asked a friend and he also said it is a mockingbird. I am 37 years old and that's the first time I ever heard one. I agree they are interesting to listen to.

Oh and as far as trying to see it, I live in the suburbs so the only lights at night are a few porch lights, but other than that it's pretty dark at night.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:38 PM
BNB

172 posts, read 691,879 times
We had one that kept us entertained at night all summer long. It would even croak like a frog as part of its repertoire.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM

97 posts, read 245,245 times
I grew up in the country (rural southcentral KY), and mockingbirds were common. I have yet to see (or hear) one here in Chicago. I'm looking forward to the sounds of the South once more.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 14,431 times
Sure, mockingbirds are nice to hear, but they can be pesty when-as in our case-they build their nest in a forsythia bush right outside of our front windows and fly out at us when we go outside. Is there any effective (and LEGAL) way to get rid of them so that they don't come back? Will the whole family leave when the babies have their feathers and can fend for themselves? We live in semi-suburban northeastern Queens, NY.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:29 AM

37 posts, read 200,781 times
You can have a conversation with your Mockingbird........make some chirping, cawing, whistling, anything really, just be consistent and he/she will answer you in kind. Kids seem to get a big kick out of it.....and, of course, by "kids" I mean my husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville