Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 07:46 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,717 times

Advertisements

What are your opinions in terms of the best place to raise a family with young children (parks, schools, safety) if you had to choose between the Vandy area or Green Hills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,220,402 times
From some parts of Green Hills it's only a ten-minute drive to the Vandy area. From others, still a short drive. So, with that in mind, I would probably choose Green Hills if I were raising a family.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM

3 posts, read 68,017 times
I would also say Green Hills. Its a little quieter from my experience. It also offers more for young families: YMCA, great school, kid-centric shopping places, public library. Both areas have smaller parks but Greenhills is closer to some bigger parks (Percy Warner, Edwin Warner, Radnor Lake).

Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
When we relocated to Nashville, we looked near Vandy, Green Hills and Franklin. I liked the Vandy area best. Coming from a city I wanted sidewalks. I was used to walking to the park, restaurants etc. My stroller easily got 5 miles a day on it. I felt like in GH I would have to drive everywhere, even the park that was only 3 blocks from one of the houses we seriously considered because there were no sidewalks. I hate driving with kids... getting them in and out of car seats takes forever. We ended up Franklin because of the sidewalks and partly the schools. Our only school aged child is in private school in Nashville, but we have a lot of kids and weren't sure we wanted to commit ourselves to paying for private school for all of them for 12+ years each. Hopefully being in Franklin, we won't have to do private school until middle school.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,563 times
It really depends on your family's culture. Some people prefer to be within walking distance to quite a few things which probably includes some sort of center for the community. The Vandy area is definitely more walkable. If a low key urban is what you're seeking, Vandy or West End is it. In Green Hills, you'll inevitably drive to everything in a bit of traffic. Even then, Green Hills is very close to Vandy but if suburban urban fits you, then Green Hills is it. You can't go wrong with either area, but they offer different things. As far as location, they are both great and close enough together that there won't be a huge difference unless walkability is key for you and your family. If you will be driving a lot, there is only about a 5 to 10 minutes difference to everything from either. Housing will be different in that the lot sizes will generally be much larger in Green Hills. From an investment perspective, you'll be good with either one! Good luck!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM

625 posts, read 4,572,275 times
Oh, DEFINITELY Green Hills...I've seen too many homeless beggars around Vandy/Hillsboro Village area...NEVER seen a homeless person hanging around Green Hills.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:19 AM

603 posts, read 2,359,717 times
Thanks for your input! We don't like to have to drive everywhere so walkable neighborhoods with sidewalks is the key for our family. I didn't realize Franklin had sidewalks. Can you walk to parks, schools, the store in Franklin? We like neighborhoods where the lots are a bit smaller so you can really get to know your neighbors. Our family prefers "low key urban" vs. suburban but we are also looking for a place that would be suitable for children. My son, 5 years, is very social so a place with lots of kids to play with would be good, too. Is this too much to ask in the Vandy area or Franklin? I know we'll have to do a visit first before committing but your advise will help narrow down our search. Thank you!

Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
Thanks for your input! We don't like to have to drive everywhere so walkable neighborhoods with sidewalks is the key for our family. I didn't realize Franklin had sidewalks. Can you walk to parks, schools, the store in Franklin? We like neighborhoods where the lots are a bit smaller so you can really get to know your neighbors. Our family prefers "low key urban" vs. suburban but we are also looking for a place that would be suitable for children. My son, 5 years, is very social so a place with lots of kids to play with would be good, too. Is this too much to ask in the Vandy area or Franklin? I know we'll have to do a visit first before committing but your advise will help narrow down our search. Thank you!
I think all new subdivisions in franklin have to have sidewalks. There are a few "planned communities" that are more walkable than most suburbs. I have always lived in a city and didn't want that to change when we relocated, but I'm surprisingly happy in the burbs. I think living in a planned community made it easier to meet my neighbors and get involved with the community. In Franklin the ones that you can walk to the grocery store are McKays Mill and Fieldstone Farms. They also have parks and other ammentities. Westhaven is just starting to get its shops and will have a grocery store next summer along with restuarants and boutiques. It isn't city living, but I do walk most days whether to the community pool, the park, the gym etc.

The downside to Franklin though is it is probably a 35-45 minute commute to Vanderbilt. It takes us 25-30 minutes usually to get to Green Hills, but after 7pm it goes down to about 20 minutes from the Green Hills Mall to my house. The upside is there are so many kids here. My kids always have someone to play with and it is a bit like when I grew up and we ran in heards throughout the 'hood playing kick the can and capture the flag with 50+ kids of all ages

Last edited by septimus; 04-11-2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2008, 12:32 PM

6 posts, read 61,496 times
I would prefer someone drive white-hot nails into my kneecaps than live in either Green Hills or Vandy areas...but that's just me.....I've lived here since 1991 and find snobbery and "class consciousness" highly unappealing. These areas have an abundance of it, IMHO....

Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,563 times
Franklin is definitely a suburb and pretty spread out. For the most part, you'll go everywhere in your car unless you live in places like have been mentioned by Septimus. Westhaven is the closest thing Franklin has to being a self-contained community of "new urbanism" in Franklin with all new homes, condos and some retail. There are several ponds stocked with fish and green spaces within the community itself as well as an outdoor area for concerts, etc. It is an impressive community in terms of amenities, however, as has already been mentioned, it is a drive to the Vanderbilt or Green Hills area. The only other area in Franklin that wasn't mentioned that is walkable is Historic Franklin. There you'll find a true center within walking distance to many of the historic homes. This area is completely different than most of the rest of Franklin...(the rest is more spread out and newer construction of similar type homes and vehicles are definitely the mode of transportation.)

There aren't too many areas within the Nashville area and suburbs that are true walkable communities, so you shouldn't have too much trouble narrowing down your search. A few other communities classified as new urbanism around Nashville are Caqrothers Crossing and Lenox Village. Brentwood is in the planning stage of redeveloping the area around Franklin Road where the center currently is into a new urbanism community with mixed uses of living, working, shopping, and green/park spaces, but it's probably at least 10 years out from completion...maybe even 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: