Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2019, 11:13 PM

175 posts, read 183,114 times

Advertisements

I've been to Nashville once, briefly spent some time downtown. Looked like a nice city.

As I browse through Google street view, it seems like most neighborhoods are very nice/clean.

I'm a single, straight male in my early 30s and I'm looking to escape California. I lived in the midwest for 15 years and I think I've reached a point where big cities do not appeal to me.

I think Nashville's size is just right for someone like me. Not too big but not too small either.

I'm a car enthusiast and enjoy going for car rides, like through canyons/mountains. Do you guys have some of those???

my salary would probably be around 120k per year. the only problem, though, is that i dont know a single soul in that city. would it be difficult for me to meet people?

has anyone moved from CA and enjoyed your time in TN? I was planning on heading to TX but the weather and population sizes have pushed me away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM

389 posts, read 916,464 times
We moved to Nashville almost 4 years ago from Orange County (after living there for 6 years). We have enjoyed the more open spaces here (though the amount of building has been amazing!). Road construction is making for some grumpy drivers, but it is not as bad as what we encountered while living in SoCal.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:58 PM

306 posts, read 545,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBound19 View Post
I've been to Nashville once, briefly spent some time downtown. Looked like a nice city.

As I browse through Google street view, it seems like most neighborhoods are very nice/clean.

has anyone moved from CA and enjoyed your time in TN? I was planning on heading to TX but the weather and population sizes have pushed me away.

We're leaving Los Angeles and moving to Middle TN, about 20 minutes south of Nashville in a few weeks. I used to live in the area years ago, so I guess it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment, but things have changed significantly since we last lived in TN (2008 - 2012).

All I remember was that it was a great place to live, people were friendly, kind, polite, and I loved the slightly slower pace of life, talking to neighbors, not always being paranoid about unlocked doors, and violence (but of course that could happen anywhere).

I hope you like Tennessee as much as we have, and will again.

Old 05-23-2019, 03:54 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,507,319 times
You'll immediately notice it's far more relaxing than the coastal cities. From the pace in the grocery stores to the easy conversation you'll encounter at shops/restaurants. So if that bugs you, then you've been warned. I do remember in San Fran once when a traffic light changed and I was looking at my map. I heard from the car behind me - not a horn but - "You can go now, dude." So I realize you're not coming from NYC. Still, you'll notice that there's a lot less flashiness with the people. Nashville is a city that works hard. So you may be entering a job where expectations are high. That's a nice salary to live comfortably as a single guy in Tennessee, and you'll notice more take-home because there are no state income taxes. Overall, the city is very nice. Not smothering with old-school morality. Very creative but not weirdly so like in SoCal. And I think you'll be able to connect with the thousands of twenty-and-thirty-somethings who move there every year. As one of my employees told me when I took him and his wife up to a Preds game last January (he is from California), "Nashville is a city of pretty people." I hope you find it the same way.

I notice your name has Texas in it. If you're familiar with Dallas, I often describe Nashville as similar to Dallas as far as people, work ethic, construction, flashiness (yes it exists, but it's not totally in your face), style, schools, social circles, churches, and now professional sports. Nashvillians are very proud of their city and their teams. Good down-to-earth people. They're not the nauseatingly snobby wealthy people you see in california. The wealthy families in Nashville are dedicated to their city - through foundations and charity organizations - and they connect more with the regular people. I've heard a lot of the social engineering that's going on in Ca schools, and you won't have that. I'd imagine the Political Correctness BS is much less in TN. No doubt, there's more of a Christian influence in TN, and throughout the South, than you'll find in CA. But it doesn't smother folks with righteousness.

Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/nashv...ille-area.html

Old 05-27-2019, 07:49 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
I'm a car enthusiast and enjoy going for car rides, like through canyons/mountains. Do you guys have some of those???

Smoky Mountains are to the east, past Knoxville. You may call them hills in comparison to the big ones out west. Nothing that goes above the tree line here.
TN isn't a flat state, we have plenty of hills & valleys.

With 3 interstates the most "challenging" drive may be up/down Monteagle mountain on your way on I-24 to Chattanooga. A 4 mile 6% grade may get your attention?

Yes, there is plenty to see in Tennessee. Get off the interstate & onto one of the 2 lane blacktop state highways. The state uses different number markers for the less traveled routes. At the Welcome Centers you can get maps for scenic byways to explore any part of the state you wish.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:26 AM

97 posts, read 100,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
Y

I notice your name has Texas in it. If you're familiar with Dallas, I often describe Nashville as similar to Dallas a.
I disagree with the comparison of Nashville people to those of Dallas.
Dallas has a sharper edge to it. The evangelical religion and social conservatism is more pronounced in Dallas. Flashing your money and materialism is a way of life in Dallas, and not nearly so much in Tennessee.
I like to say Dallas is tough, Nashville is gentle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville