Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 10:51 AM

174 posts, read 232,043 times

Advertisements

And tomorrow it's supposed to be 99 degrees outside! What's the humidity like?

How out of the ordinary is this for October 1st? Vegas and Phoenix look downright pleasant and mild in comparison. Seems crazy hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 12:16 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post

How out of the ordinary is this for October 1st? Vegas and Phoenix look downright pleasant and mild in comparison. Seems crazy hot.
This has been an extremely hotter and dryer September than average with temperatures this week about 20 degrees above average. The month of September averages around 3.5 inches of rain, but this year Nashville received just a trace (about 0.02 inches). So the good news is we haven't had much humidity to go with the heat. And the better news is that the extended forecast shows Nashville will be a lot cooler and wetter next week, possibly even receiving a month's worth of rain within the week and temperatures 20-30 degrees below where they are now.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-01-2019, 12:37 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGittes65 View Post

It's been a record-breaking month.

Last night when I took my dog out at 10 pm, the dew point was 79%. I was sweating when I came back in. It's miserable.

But a break is coming Friday night. Finally!

Old 10-02-2019, 08:16 AM

455 posts, read 1,140,587 times
High 90s in September are unusual for Nashville - to say the least.

They're even more unusual in October, which is why we set a record yesterday for the all-time recorded October high temperature (since 1871). https://abcnews.go.com/US/flooding-t...ry?id=65975247

But I'm very sorry to say that it may be a taste of things to come.

I researched average low/high/mean temps before we moved to Nashville ~10 years ago, but those 'averages' seem increasingly divorced from reality in 2019...

Of course, it's not just the case in Nashville or Tennessee... https://www.climatecentral.org/news/...s-up-earth-day.

And I'm going to respectfully disagree with @JMT. Dewpoints may not have been as bad recently as they were in midsummer (when we regularly had swampy 70+ dewpoints), but they've often been above 60 degrees the past few weeks, which has created 'real feel' temps of 100+.

@BirdieBelle, I think you mean relative humidity (not dewpoint) was 79% last night. Dewpoints are calculated in degrees, not percentages. It's darn confusing, at least for me. After years of looking at relative humidity, I've found it much more informative to judge the ickiness level based on dewpoint, as explained here - https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidity and https://www.nashvillesevereweather.c...aHUQAAhRkz.jpg

Old 10-02-2019, 12:45 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmidnight View Post

@BirdieBelle, I think you mean relative humidity (not dewpoint) was 79% last night. Dewpoints are calculated in degrees, not percentages. It's darn confusing, at least for me.
Every time I write it, I get called out for using the wrong term, so this time I decided to say "dew point" like my critics suggested and apparently got it wrong again.

All I know is it's hot as Hades, y'all.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 PM

3,049 posts, read 3,317,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Every time I write it, I get called out for using the wrong term, so this time I decided to say "dew point" like my critics suggested and apparently got it wrong again.

All I know is it's hot as Hades, y'all.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/he...recast/2211114

Sorry, it's hotter than Hell, Mi:

Currently 63 & raining
going up to 70
down to 53 overnite
then 66 tomorrow............

For TN continued hot today & tomorrow, a little cooler Friday. Saturday back to 90
Sunday eve sometime the true cold comes
washout Monday?

Old 10-03-2019, 12:34 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Am I the only person here who is loving this weather? It is like in the 50s and drizzling back in Portland and people are already wearing their wool coats. It's true I kind of wish I Could see the spectacular autumn everyone is talking about and its a wee bit dry, but I am kind of liking the hot drier weather. The year I was in Denver, there was hardly a sunny day and we already had two or three snow storms by now.

Old 10-03-2019, 12:46 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Am I the only person here who is loving this weather? It is like in the 50s and drizzling back in Portland and people are already wearing their wool coats. It's true I kind of wish I Could see the spectacular autumn everyone is talking about and its a wee bit dry, but I am kind of liking the hot drier weather. The year I was in Denver, there was hardly a sunny day and we already had two or three snow storms by now.
We normally have ample rain to go along with the heat/humidity in Tennessee. To me, the bigger problem is how dry things have gotten.

I got bronchitis and an ear infection early last month. I'm still coughing and this hot/dry deal isn't helping. It's dry and dusty and I'm sneezing more. I was planning on hiking this weekend, but I don't know if I want to with this drought.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:06 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Am I the only person here who is loving this weather?
Sacrilege!
I think here in most of TN we are spoiled, we get our three months +/_ of summer and by October most of us are ready to move on. And for me winter isn't long enough or cold enough to make me dread it so I welcome the cooler weather of a typical fall in TN. This ninety degree stuff at this time of year is not my cup of tea at all.

(I wonder if I can sneak in a few more emojii. )

Old 10-03-2019, 01:34 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,722,397 times
Quote:
Am I the only person here who is loving this weather? .

I love it. I hate cold weather. Wearing shorts to the Preds game tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville