Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,975 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband just found out today that his company will be relocating us from Los Angeles to somewhere near Brentwood, TN, around Jan-Feb 2021. He's LA born and raised, and I hail from Texas......I've lived in CA only 3 years and can't wait to escape.

We are looking at areas outside of Brentwood; Dickson, TN in particular, but don't know much, other than what we've found researching online. It will be just the two of us (he's 51 and I'm 41), and we do like going out for live music/drinks occasionally, but also want a nice home on a little property, (an acre or more for our chickens) for under $500k. He'd be okay with an hour commute to Brentwood or less.

I am self employed; I'm an instructor/master trainer and website/digital coordinator for a well-known barre-fitness company based in Houston that I am passionate about, and also owned a large antique/vintage store in TX for several years which I loved...I still dabble in that here; I am interested in starting a small business (either in retail antique/design or a yoga/barre/pilates studio or BOTH in some capacity) once we land in TN, but am not sure what surrounding areas I should focus on.....

I know this is a BIG ask, but any information anyone could provide would be very helpful! We are scheduling a trip to check everything out in the fall. Any thoughts/recommendations? Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 08:20 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
I would think Dickson may be a bit more than an hour once you factor in traffic. Kingston Springs, Pegram and Pasquo should have what you're looking for with a shorter commute time

Old 07-29-2020, 10:03 AM

199 posts, read 181,279 times
Something to keep in mind is that traffic may get much worse in the years ahead. Despite any fluctuations that may happen in the short or midterm, I believe that in the longterm the greater Nashville area is going to see a large influx of out-of-staters. Some of the same problems you saw in Houston over the past few decades will likely to happen here as well.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:33 PM

3 posts, read 3,975 times
Thanks so much for the recommendations.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:58 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,090,694 times
Also something to consider is that I suspect a lot more people will be working at home even after this insanity is over. So traffic MAY not be as much of an issue in a few years.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:50 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
If I was looking to be in the fitness/antique businesses, there are just so many communities south of Nashville that might be a fit for you.

There's just no substitute for feet on the ground.

And Middle Tennessee south of Nashville has many places that are simply breathtaking in beauty. We often get out and ramble around, and drove up the Natchez Trace 2 wks. ago getting off at Leipers Fork and drove Old Hillsboro Rd. into Green Hills. This week, we found incredible scenery NE of Lawrenceburg/NW of Pulaski.

Old 02-07-2021, 02:59 AM

5 posts, read 3,897 times
If you have any questions, feel free to message me. I'm from Los Angeles, too, and moved here 9 years ago. It's a culture shock in a good way! After accepting the bugs and humidity in the summer, you'll never want to leave : )

Old 02-07-2021, 12:45 PM

206 posts, read 184,842 times
I guess from all this positive experience from transplants. I m really excited to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville