Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,912 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I hope everyone is doing well out there. My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating within the next year to Nashville with our family. Well, we have been looking into both Nashville area and also Boise, Idaho since we feel our interests, love of culture, and outdoorsy personality has drawn us to both - I've done hours of research and looked into some areas outside of Nashville like La Vergne, etc as we don't want to live right in the heart of Nashville. A little background info - our family consists of our 13-year-old daughter, our 2 dogs and cat. While my husband and I were raised in California, our more conservative/republican views have driven us out of California several years ago and we found ourselves living in Texas for a year and then finally in Arizona for the last 3 years. We have soon realized that Phoenix and surrounding towns (while some great areas exist) isn't for us, as we enjoy a lively but family-oriented culture, courteous or at least pleasant/friendly people. Being in Arizona the last few years we have noticed that the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello.

I'm really just looking for some pros and cons of living in the Nashville area with a family. For those of you who have lived in other states also, what are the people and culture like? Are there certain areas neighboring towns to avoid? My husband grew up in Southern California desert area with snakes and other critters that can kill you, anything we should be concerned about or avoid? What are some of the negatives you have noticed or things that you don't like about the city and neighboring areas? Any gripes with the public school system that are more or less out of the ordinary?

I appreciate any feedback. We don't plan to move there blind, but there's only so much research and/or visiting you can do before you take the plunge. Thank you!!

Deniece
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 05:19 AM

337 posts, read 448,396 times
I've lived for periods of time in Iowa, Denver CO, Guam X2, Myrtle Beach SC, Fort Walton Beach FL, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Turkey X2, Italy, Virgina Beach, San Antonio TX, Altus Ok, Hickory NC and now Murfreesboro TN for the past 7+ years. I will tell you this, the minute I arrived here in Murfreesboro, and continuing on, I have never met more nicer people and it is by a landslide. I live in the north side and can't say enough good things. The only negative thing I could say is the traffic everywhere around Middle Tennessee is tough to navigate because of so many new things being built up. School systems are top notch. You can DM me if you have Murfreesboro specific questions. (Murfreesboro is about 35 minutes from Nashville, depending on the time of day you are on the road)

Old 12-14-2021, 08:10 AM

367 posts, read 584,645 times
I agree with the previous poster's recommendation on Murfreesboro. You may also look at Franklin or Spring Hill.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:28 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times
Jobs? Budget?

Old 12-14-2021, 09:43 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Jobs? Budget?
^^This. We could use some more info. Do you have jobs already lined up? If so, what part of town? And what's your housing budget? LaVergne doesn't have the best schools, so maybe you homeschool your daughter?

The more info you provide, the better we can help.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-15-2021, 05:30 PM

21 posts, read 16,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenieceReed1987 View Post
Hello everyone

I hope everyone is doing well out there. My husband and I are possibly thinking of relocating within the next year to Nashville with our family. Well, we have been looking into both Nashville area and also Boise, Idaho since we feel our interests, love of culture, and outdoorsy personality has drawn us to both - I've done hours of research and looked into some areas outside of Nashville like La Vergne, etc as we don't want to live right in the heart of Nashville. A little background info - our family consists of our 13-year-old daughter, our 2 dogs and cat. While my husband and I were raised in California, our more conservative/republican views have driven us out of California several years ago and we found ourselves living in Texas for a year and then finally in Arizona for the last 3 years. We have soon realized that Phoenix and surrounding towns (while some great areas exist) isn't for us, as we enjoy a lively but family-oriented culture, courteous or at least pleasant/friendly people. Being in Arizona the last few years we have noticed that the majority of people just keep to themselves, even in the workforce, and no one even really knows their neighbors or smiles and says hello.

I'm really just looking for some pros and cons of living in the Nashville area with a family. For those of you who have lived in other states also, what are the people and culture like? Are there certain areas neighboring towns to avoid? My husband grew up in Southern California desert area with snakes and other critters that can kill you, anything we should be concerned about or avoid? What are some of the negatives you have noticed or things that you don't like about the city and neighboring areas? Any gripes with the public school system that are more or less out of the ordinary?

I appreciate any feedback. We don't plan to move there blind, but there's only so much research and/or visiting you can do before you take the plunge. Thank you!!

Deniece

Glad to read you're not a soy boy.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:20 PM

19 posts, read 24,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
I agree with the previous poster's recommendation on Murfreesboro. You may also look at Franklin or Spring Hill.
I saw the schools in Franklin and Spring Hill have better rating than the ones in Murfreesboro. If you have to make a decision on small house in Franklin / Spring Hill (Williamson County schools) vs. a big house in Murfreesboro (Triple Blackman schools), same price, which one would you choose?

Old 12-16-2021, 09:00 AM

367 posts, read 584,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillehorizon View Post
I saw the schools in Franklin and Spring Hill have better rating than the ones in Murfreesboro. If you have to make a decision on small house in Franklin / Spring Hill (Williamson County schools) vs. a big house in Murfreesboro (Triple Blackman schools), same price, which one would you choose?
That's a tough choice that would depend on personal circumstances. How many kids you have, job location, etc. I would probably go Franklin, Murfreesboro, Spring Hill in that order, but they are all good.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:16 PM

194 posts, read 189,873 times
I, personally, would never move from Phoenix to Nashville. In the year I lived here, there have been several bouts of flooding, a record setting power outage caused by a massive derecho, 11 tornadoes within a few hours drive of Nashville just last Friday, numerous other tornado warnings, an ice storm that shut down the city for nearly a week in February, and don't forget about the killer tornado that hit the actual city of Nashville last year.

Outside the city of Nashvile, and actuality in parts of the city of Nashville, it feels like you're in the middle of nowhere. I can't describe it - maybe it's the lack of sidewalks or the extreme lack of density, but it feels like what you would think a small country town in the South would feel like. Maybe that's a good thing in your eyes and maybe it's not.

Arizona seems more modern to me, in general, and has much better infrastructure (and has sufficient street lighting). Phoenix also doesn't cater to the type of tourist Nashville caters to. Tourism in Phoenix can be aggravating because of the increase in traffic and lines, but due to the type of people who visit Nashville, the tourism issues are different and worse.

I don't know. Nashville has a good economy, which is drawing a lot of people here. So if you said you landed a great health care or tech job, I guess that would be reasonable, but just to move here for the heck of it, I don't know. Just do your research and visit here more than once.

And plan to never eat Chinese food again if you move.

Old 12-23-2021, 11:49 AM

128 posts, read 139,003 times
Well, its starting to get over crowded here, they are building like crazy but they are not expanding any roads, this is going to become a problem when its harder to get around.
Tornado's, were getting more of them, and they can happen in winter as well as summer.What happened to Kentucky can easily happen here. A tornado of that size would completely destroy downtown Nashville, crime is getting worse as more people move here, there are not enough police to Handel the crime just some things to consider.

I’d look elsewhere seriously.

Last edited by JMT; 12-23-2021 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville