Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2022, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 25,545 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I have been considering a move to TN for a few years and just got around to visiting the Franklin area. We really like it here but have a few questions.

First, I’m wondering if we can find what we’re looking for in our price range - we don’t want to spend more than $800k ish. In an ideal world, we’d want around a half acre (or more), brick ranch 1800 sq ft+, no HOA, and a flat enough lot for a pool. We know the market is competitive though, and we are very handy so don’t mind an older home or fixer upper. If that sounds possible with our budget, here are the other questions we have:

1. Does Franklin have a politically conservative and Christian feel? We are looking for a strong conservative, Christian area where we can be involved and somewhere that matches our beliefs/values.

2. Are there neighborhoods to avoid? I’ve heard living near the quarry is going to have some cons to it, and we don’t want to live near high tension/high voltage power lines or in a flood zone, but are there other specific areas that aren’t as safe or aren’t relatively quiet?

3. Any great neighborhoods to check out in our price range that don’t have an HOA?

4. Are foundation issues prevalent here like they are in North Texas?

5. Is anyone from DFW who could compare the community feel of Franklin to a similar area of Dallas? (Or perhaps there’s no comparison)

Thank you very much for any guidance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2022, 01:29 PM

25 posts, read 36,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcs14 View Post
Hello! My husband and I have been considering a move to TN for a few years and just got around to visiting the Franklin area. We really like it here but have a few questions.

First, I’m wondering if we can find what we’re looking for in our price range - we don’t want to spend more than $800k ish. In an ideal world, we’d want around a half acre (or more), brick ranch 1800 sq ft+, no HOA, and a flat enough lot for a pool. We know the market is competitive though, and we are very handy so don’t mind an older home or fixer upper. If that sounds possible with our budget, here are the other questions we have:

1. Does Franklin have a politically conservative and Christian feel? We are looking for a strong conservative, Christian area where we can be involved and somewhere that matches our beliefs/values.

2. Are there neighborhoods to avoid? I’ve heard living near the quarry is going to have some cons to it, and we don’t want to live near high tension/high voltage power lines or in a flood zone, but are there other specific areas that aren’t as safe or aren’t relatively quiet?

3. Any great neighborhoods to check out in our price range that don’t have an HOA?

5. Is anyone from DFW who could compare the community feel of Franklin to a similar area of Dallas? (Or perhaps there’s no comparison)

I'm not sure if you're set on Franklin but Mt. Juliet is very similar and slightly less expensive.

Old 05-18-2022, 05:30 PM

Thank you!

Old 05-19-2022, 05:18 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
I think the average home in Franklin is now over $1m.

It will be hard to find a non-HOA subdivision in Franklin. They exist but most new construction (less than 30 years old) is HOA. The older homes in Grassland area are what you are describing but they are prone to flooding.

Old 05-19-2022, 05:25 AM

Thank you, very helpful!

Old 05-19-2022, 12:27 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,306,920 times
Quote:

1) Franklin/Brentwood has been a hot competitive market. You will need help to find something in your price range. Depending where you work you may look elsewhere. For your specific needs get a relo agent.

2) Anywhere out of downtown Nashville will be conservative. By Christian if you mean Baptist will find that with Church of Christ, some Methodist, some Presbyterian. You would have to check congregation to see how conservative they may be.

3) Near the quarry may have some "issues". For flood zone stay away from Harpeth but you will have to see about creeks for flash floods. For bad storms you may want a secure storm shelter. For quiet depends how close you are to I-65, heavy commercial zones.

4) With hard stone underground may be some foundation issues. This may also affect what kind of pool you can build.

Old 05-19-2022, 03:41 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,378,368 times
Mt. Juliet sounds like a better fit for you guys. Mt. Juliet is Christian and conservative and not as corporate feeling. It is also closer to the airport and properties are more affordable than Franklin. Mt. Juliet is very friendly and more down to earth imo. Lots of shopping, restaurants, and commercial spaces are being built. The terrain is not as hilly as Franklin as well. Buying a house in Franklin is not out of the question, but due to the lack of inventory, it is very competitive.

Old 05-19-2022, 04:06 PM

Thanks to all!! We drove through Mt Juliet today and did not like it unfortunately. We also drove through Murfreesboro, did not like that either. We both work remotely so that isn’t an issue. We’d be willing to go up in budget for the right property. Sounds like it’s possible in Franklin but we’d just have to be patient, which we understand.

Old 05-19-2022, 08:05 PM

25 posts, read 36,970 times
Quote:
Thanks to all!! We drove through Mt Juliet today and did not like it unfortunately. We also drove through Murfreesboro, did not like that either. We both work remotely so that isn’t an issue. We’d be willing to go up in budget for the right property. Sounds like it’s possible in Franklin but we’d just have to be patient, which we understand.
Why do you like Franklin? What is attracting you there over other places?

Franklin is nice but it seems like you are bending over backwards to make Franklin work? If you work remotely, why Franklin?

You could literally find a conservative Christian community checking all your boxes for a whole lot less money and far less traffic, HOA fees, flooding issues etc. etc.

Could we get more details on what your looking for in a community? If you are looking for a extremely wealthy and corporate feeling area then yes, go with Brentwood and parts of Franklin.

Last edited by Lexusof5; 05-19-2022 at 08:28 PM..

Old 05-19-2022, 08:24 PM

That is a great question and one we’ve been pondering as we consider how to make the most of our budget! The main things are it’s close to a major medical center, it is close to specialized veterinary care, and close to all of the amenities we are used to and/or looking for (quality grocery shopping, shopping, local restaurants, hiking, water for kayaking). There is also field hockey in the Franklin/Brentwood/Nolensville area which is important to me. Finally, we like that Franklin has a downtown and feels established, so it seems like houses there are a good investment. Newer suburbs or suburbs recently gaining popularity, at least in DFW, can be hit or miss and we don’t want to take a big risk with an up and coming area.

Tomorrow we plan to drive through Nolensville, Brentwood, Arrington, and Spring Hill. We are open to other areas but I would like to stay within 20-25 minutes of the things we would frequently access in Franklin.

We aren’t 100% decided on when and where to move yet so I sincerely appreciate the responses and feedback on my post so far. Thank you all very much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville