Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 02:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Thousands of jobs could move to Music City.

Thirty nine companies are considering relocating or opening major offices in the greater Nashville area.

NewsChannel 5.com - Nashville, Tennessee - Companies Eye Nashville For Relocation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 04:51 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
As long as we remain a low cost state to do business in, we'll have this blessing every year. In the early part of the decade, Nashville set a 4 year net job creation goal of 50,000; critics said "couldn't be done". Critics were half-right; Nashville exceeded their lofty goal by 7%.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Even with Tennessee's low cost of doing business, these companies wouldn't be coming to town if Nashville weren't such a great place to live. I think everyone in Tennessee should be proud that Nashville is becoming so popular on a national level.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:36 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
The biggest drawback we have in Nashville itself for drawing new businesses to town is the public school system. A lot of people from the mayor on down are working on it, but it's going to be hard for all the interested parties to agree and implement a plan.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:29 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
They all want to come to Cool Springs...and live in Franklin. That's where all the jobs and people/income are moving to. Nashville needs to get on the ball as far as schools are concerned because everyone coming here with kids who don't want to send their kids to private schools have MUCH better options in the surrounding counties. If I had kids I would have moved to Williamson County, no question.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
whoooo sprawl! j/k

I hope Nashville and the surrounding counties are trying to do some smart planning (housing, commercial AND transit development) with even MORE people descending on the area.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:24 PM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
They all want to come to Cool Springs...and live in Franklin. That's where all the jobs and people/income are moving to. Nashville needs to get on the ball as far as schools are concerned because everyone coming here with kids who don't want to send their kids to private schools have MUCH better options in the surrounding counties. If I had kids I would have moved to Williamson County, no question.
Not exactly true. The Nashville Chamber of Commerce does frequently miss some opportunities that Williamson County and other surrounding counties capture. However, it's not primarily because of schools (although they must certainly improve).

There will always be businesses who prefer the larger floorplates and other things a suburban location might offer and others who are better off in a more urban setting. Public schools are a miniscule factor in corporate relocations compared to others like general cost of operating a business, government incentives, proximity to related businesses & clients, available of quality/quantity of spaces desired, etc.

Davidson County is actually still managing to do quite well for itself at attracting a variety of businesses and residents. Nashville's office occupancy remains quite strong throughout downtown and midtown.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:04 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,751 times
I'm saying that regardless of whether a company relocates to Cools Springs or Nashville, the employees are choosing to live outside of Davidson for the most part-although it is changing now because of gas prices and traffic. It's hard for relocating families to consider Davidson when you have great schools one county over...and I know Nashville has MLK, but that is one of the few outliers for Davidson County schools.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:43 PM

4 posts, read 8,842 times
The proposed Bells Bend development could really accelerate the process as well:

Planners release ‘final’ Bells Bend proposal on Nashville City Paper

I don't think Nashville will be able to compete with Cool Springs/Franklin/Williamson county unless it gets something like this. Some of the comments associated with that article do a really good job explaining why.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM

813 posts, read 2,032,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
I'm saying that regardless of whether a company relocates to Cools Springs or Nashville, the employees are choosing to live outside of Davidson for the most part-although it is changing now because of gas prices and traffic. It's hard for relocating families to consider Davidson when you have great schools one county over...and I know Nashville has MLK, but that is one of the few outliers for Davidson County schools.
Even with the many people who prefer living in suburbs for various reasons, Davidson County still gained more people since 2000 than every county in the state save for Rutherford County. Rutherford County is doing extremely well at attracting residents even compared to Williamson County.

Davidson County is simply not gaining at the same percentage as it's surrounding counties but is still gaining strong numbers. This is to be expected since it has a much, much larger population than any other county in the metro. It would be almost freightening if Davidson County gained people at the same percent as Rutherford or Williamson County considering its' size. The infrastruture would not keep pace with growth. Indeed, many believe we are already struggling to manage the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville