Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Fellow Michiganders, relocating to Nashville area, Michigan to Tennessee transfer, pros cons regrets, bad winters, closed interstates, not many lakes in area, manmade lakes, Lake Michigan

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times

Advertisements

Well maybe we can play euchre someday! LOL

I miss the lakes a lot...I sometimes get all teary in Kid Rock's Summertime song, *rolleyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 03:52 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown Gal View Post
Tennessee has 246 lakes and there are quite a few close to Nashville. My personal favorite is Center Hill Lake in Dekalb County....it is beautiful!
Tennessee Landforms -- Lakes

As for the snow, we don't get hardly enough to worry about, but watch out for the ice! We had a real bad ice storm in Nashville back in 1994 and it practically shut the whole city down for a week or two, but as a general rule, our winters are very mild in comparison to yours. Winter is not my favorite season, because it's usually so wet and gloomy, but it makes you appreciate our beautiful springtime weather even more.
We enjoy Center Hill Lake to. We take the backroads there on four wheelers every once in a while.Another place even more fun with horses is Cordel Hull ( I hope I spelled it right ). Theres a great spot where it's narrowing down to a point that we swim them cross to the other side ( about a 250 foot swim ). I'll never forget the time my leather broke off the girth ring and lost my saddle right in the middle. I grabbed her mane and let the saddle go,then was able to twist and squirm my way onto her back again. I got back to shore and seen that my saddle had floated back up so into the water we went bareback and as she swam past it, I reached down and grabbed the horn with one hand and holding her mane with the other.We made it back to shore,and I rode back to the truck bareback holding my saddle.

Also,funny you mention the 94 ice storm.My son was born Nov 93, was just a few months old when that happen.Nobody could get over the hills out here without a 4x4 and quite a few had to miss a few days work.Well, times were harder then with a new baby boy so I was worried about loosing a few days pay. I guess someone was looking out for me because a few guys came over the hill to my house in a 4x4 truck in front pulling,and a 4x4 Honda four wheeler pushing behind a 1970 VW bug that had dropped a valve.The guy said he was told to have it pulled to my place as I used to build bug engines and was the only one out here that could work on it right away.There was no way I could get out to get any parts but the guy said they done covered that.They had picked up everything from Beetle Works in Leb to totaly rebuild it ( a master kit with everything but the engine case itself ) lol. What a cold day and night that was laying under it untill it was out,rebuilt,and installed.Lookin' back on that, I don't think I've ever been as cold since

Old 06-16-2008, 07:48 AM

103 posts, read 335,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
We enjoy Center Hill Lake to. We take the backroads there on four wheelers every once in a while.Another place even more fun with horses is Cordel Hull ( I hope I spelled it right ). Theres a great spot where it's narrowing down to a point that we swim them cross to the other side ( about a 250 foot swim ). I'll never forget the time my leather broke off the girth ring and lost my saddle right in the middle. I grabbed her mane and let the saddle go,then was able to twist and squirm my way onto her back again. I got back to shore and seen that my saddle had floated back up so into the water we went bareback and as she swam past it, I reached down and grabbed the horn with one hand and holding her mane with the other.We made it back to shore,and I rode back to the truck bareback holding my saddle.

Also,funny you mention the 94 ice storm.My son was born Nov 93, was just a few months old when that happen.Nobody could get over the hills out here without a 4x4 and quite a few had to miss a few days work.Well, times were harder then with a new baby boy so I was worried about loosing a few days pay. I guess someone was looking out for me because a few guys came over the hill to my house in a 4x4 truck in front pulling,and a 4x4 Honda four wheeler pushing behind a 1970 VW bug that had dropped a valve.The guy said he was told to have it pulled to my place as I used to build bug engines and was the only one out here that could work on it right away.There was no way I could get out to get any parts but the guy said they done covered that.They had picked up everything from Beetle Works in Leb to totaly rebuild it ( a master kit with everything but the engine case itself ) lol. What a cold day and night that was laying under it untill it was out,rebuilt,and installed.Lookin' back on that, I don't think I've ever been as cold since
Funny stories, RS-1080! Yes, Cordell Hull is great, we've ridden our horses up there too, as well as Big South Fork....love that ride! Most of the time though, we stick pretty close to home since we have access to many miles of beautiful trails around here without having to trailer our horses. Everybody rides in this area and we have been thinking about joining our local saddle club that meets every Saturday in Watertown. Right now, I'm thinking about selling one of my horses and buying something that is gaited. Getting too old to be bounced around so much...LOL!

I also wanted to say that I've read several of your posts in this forum and you have presented a pretty accurate picture of living in our neck of the woods.....this is a great place to live in and I hope that it will stay that way...

Old 06-17-2008, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 59,466 times
So how about another question...what was the move like from MI to TN? I mean, I know there are the obvious differences like the weather and things that were stated above, but what's the drive like..any suggestions on what to bring, what not to bring? Kind of a general question, but anything will help! Thanks!

Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
Well maybe we can play euchre someday! LOL

I miss the lakes a lot...I sometimes get all teary in Kid Rock's Summertime song, *rolleyes*
Hahaha that's hilarious...so do you have family up here so that you can visit, or was it a move to never come back?

Old 06-17-2008, 03:20 PM

49 posts, read 173,168 times
eroznowski
Hello Port Huroner!

I also just moved to TN from Port Huron as well. In Port Huron I stayed off the lake on Military street..

Coming from small Port Huron it is very different here. I mean just the Anticoh Suburb is bigger then Port Huron alone.. Weather is nice and people are alot friendlier so dont be suprised if people/strangers come up to you, I know I was shocked at first becuase I was not use to it.

Traffic is alot heavier.. I been down here for 7 months now. Only thing I miss is the Lake. I'm never going to back to Port Huron for no more then 3 days..LOL
Any questions ask me...

Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM

I've heard that traffic is a lot heavier there, but I've also heard that people are more relaxed drivers even though there are more cars on the road. Is that true? I really don't have a hard time dealing with traffic because I work from home, so I never really have to deal with it.

So what was your reason for moving to TN from Port Huron if you don't mind me asking?

I actually live about 15 min south of Port Huron, so I'm sure it's going to be a much bigger change as I wasn't really living in the city.

I've lived in Sterling Heights though, and the traffic there is terrible, and I had no problem with it.

I'm really going to miss the lake and the river. My boyfriend says they're nasty anyways, but I pretty much grew up around water, so that's the main thing I'm worried about. I've heard there are nice lakes and stuff there too....so anyways, any regrets about the move or any suggestions about getting down there, what to bring, where to look for apts, etc???

Thanks so much! Glad to have found someone who knows my current neck of the woods!

Old 06-17-2008, 07:10 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
Hahaha that's hilarious...so do you have family up here so that you can visit, or was it a move to never come back?
LOL...I know, I'm such a mess! Oh yeah...I have lots of family all over MI and 3 of our 4 kids are in WI. We have plenty of reasons to go back...now we just need the time!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
LOL...I know, I'm such a mess! Oh yeah...I have lots of family all over MI and 3 of our 4 kids are in WI. We have plenty of reasons to go back...now we just need the time!
I agree completely..I keep telling myself that when I move down there, I'll come up to visit every few months, but I'm afraid things are going to get very busy! Luckily I work from home, so I can come back up to MI and spent a few weeks up here if I really want to...but with my boyfriend and his band and just moving in general, I'm worried it won't be often enough and I'm going to miss my family like crazy!!

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM

49 posts, read 173,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
I've heard that traffic is a lot heavier there, but I've also heard that people are more relaxed drivers even though there are more cars on the road. Is that true? I really don't have a hard time dealing with traffic because I work from home, so I never really have to deal with it.

So what was your reason for moving to TN from Port Huron if you don't mind me asking?

I actually live about 15 min south of Port Huron, so I'm sure it's going to be a much bigger change as I wasn't really living in the city.

I've lived in Sterling Heights though, and the traffic there is terrible, and I had no problem with it.

I'm really going to miss the lake and the river. My boyfriend says they're nasty anyways, but I pretty much grew up around water, so that's the main thing I'm worried about. I've heard there are nice lakes and stuff there too....so anyways, any regrets about the move or any suggestions about getting down there, what to bring, where to look for apts, etc???

Thanks so much! Glad to have found someone who knows my current neck of the woods!
Well first yeah the drivers are more relaxed so that may or may not be a problem. Its a problem for me because in Michigan we drive faster.. So if your a slow driver then you'll love it. They drive slow in the fast lane and fast in the slow lane..

Lakes or so and so. i wouldn't really call it a lake, maybe a big huge pond..But yes the scenery is nice

When I moved I brought clothes and important paperwork etc. I sold everything before I moved here. Filled up my car and hot the highway..

With you living in sterling heights before and all, Antioch is a great place to start out..That is where I stay now. Cheap rent, nice suburb. I pay around $630 /month 3 bedroom in a gated community..

But look for apartments in the Antioch area by the Hickory Hollow Bell Road area/ I stay by the Hickory Hollow Mall and love it and since your a Michiganer I know u will love it too.

Lots of stuff to do here. Its very hilly and lots of green grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville