Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times

Advertisements

you expanded on my wasted potential comment perfectly...you get a gold star.

I have posted on the Memphis board...but it's an exercise in futility, especially when trying to converse with natives or long time residents.

Last spring I took a cab in Memphis and much to my surprise, had a very nice conversation with the driver. He had lived in Memphis for 45 years, off and on. He said that the only reason so many Memphians say it's not so bad is that they don't know any better. I started paying attention and he's absolutely right.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM

Oh...and for the original poster....go to the Memphis board and dig up a thread titled "Why I Am Leaving Memphis". There is a lot of truth in there...you just have to dig through a lot of nonsense too.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,231,334 times
I too am from Memphis and have relocated to Nashville, and I absolutely love it in Nashville. There are a few things I miss about Memphis, but in general, to me, there is no comparison. I would not ever want to move back after having lived here. We just enjoy so much about Nashville; the culture, entertainment, family options, housing is a little more expensive but the rolling hills and topography are beautiful. There are lots of areas that have their own special charm or appeal if not to live, but to visit or shop or dine...East Nashville's 5 points, Hillsboro Village, West End, Green Hills, Downtown, The Gulch, Music Row and Demonbreum area, Downtown Franklin, etc. There's a greater variety of musical talent and entertainment in Nashville, although the soul and blues in Memphis is unique. There is something always going on: songwriter festivals, film festivals, country music festival, crawfish festivals, etc. Lots of really nice parks and greenway trails connecting parts of town. People do not carry as much racism here as in Memphis. Nashville, itself, is quite diverse in that it has people from all over the world. We have sports teams that people get excited about around here: The Titans, Nashville Predators, Nashville Sounds, college sports at Vanderbilt and Belmont, etc. Great medical center. We have two amazing recreational lakes in the metro area. I believe Nashville's a beautiful part of Tennessee and the city is continuing to grow and generate interest. Falls are more colorful here, and temperatures are similar to Memphis in the winter. And then there are tons of family options in both the city and in many of the suburbs. Williamson County schools are generally viewed as the top ranked in the state, and there are several other school districts that many are pleased. My favorite is the rolling hills.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:22 PM

The only thing I miss about Memphis is the food, LOL. Seriously, I had maybe 2 bad meals in the restaurants there. The music scene in Memphis is different...and I enjoy rock and blues more than country music, but you have to put up with a lot of ickiness to enjoy the music in Memphis.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:01 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Funny how most everyone posting here was from Memphis, or still lives there but plans on leaving .Maybe we need a subforum for former Memphians?
Count me amongst the group that will be leaving Memphis ASAP, hopefully within the next thirty days.

Don't move to Memphis. Move to Nashville and visit Memphis. Whatever is still good in Memphis can be experienced in a weeks worth of visiting.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 8,090 times
The rapid spread of crime primarily committed by Blacks is tied directly to the Section 8 Housing Social Experiment. Facts are Facts!

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirving1 View Post
One of my best girlfriends was born and raised in Memphis, and was thrilled when she was transferred to Nashville, even though it meant leaving all of her family. While she misses them, the trade-offs have been worth it--- much lower crime, better schools, more family-friendly activities. She recently had family members visit from Memphis, and one of the things they love to do is visit one of the local Publix grocery stores. Apparently, a clean, safe, well-stocked grocery has become a tourist destination, especially if you're from Memphis!

When I lived in Memphis it drove me crazy that i had to drive at least 30 minutes to get to a decent grocery store. If you lived downtown or in midtown you could get to a Schnucks with horrible produce and suspect odors in the meat department or you could go to a Kroger and hope your car was in one piece when you got out and you wouldn't be accosted by beggars.

Have I mentioned how much I love living in the Nashville area after Memphis?

When I hear people put down this area as being boring and void of culture I think, "If that was living in an exciting city with culture...I'll take all the boring I can get!"

Old 01-07-2009, 02:39 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times
I lived in Memphis for 5.5 years and was never victimized by crime. a lot of peoples fears about crime and the issue of race is over played by the media in the area. if you live well and watch the company that you keep can go a long way in being safe in Memphis or any other place. With that being said I don't care for neither place they are both too southern and parochial. if I had to pick one I would choose nashville because nashville has a little more going for itself (economy and growth)

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM

177 posts, read 614,047 times
If you're curious about Memphis... Just watch "First 48" on A&E. That should tell you all you need to know...

No disrespect, but that place is wild.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:34 AM

21 posts, read 46,254 times
I currently live in Memphis(for 5 1/2yrs. now), and we moved here from Las Vegas. I didn't believe it could be any worse than Vegas, but I was wrong. We are native southerners and transferred with my husband's company to be closer to family when our first child was about to be born. When we moved here, we ended up in an apt. complex in Hickory Hill(a bad area) through recommendation of someone who hadn't lived there in several years. It is crazy how fast an area can go downhill. I will say that with all the crime around us, the only thing that happened to us was someone ripped our windshield wiper off our SUV. It was expensive to fix, but we are very greatful to say that has been the only crime we have had on us the whole time we have lived here. We moved from there a few years ago and I have seen on the news of a couple of murders at that apt. complex since we moved. I know lots of people who have lived here for several years(or more) with little incident of crime. I have also heard some horrifying things happen to other people I know. I can see a lot of potential for this city, but I am sad to say that I don't think any improvement will happen any time soon. We were here for hubby's job, and I thought he would never leave that job. We have been making the best of it. Sadly, by preparing to move further out from the city(even to a different county) to hopefully get enough time in one place for my kids to grow up and not have to flee from the crime again(from area going downhill). I have never lived anywhere like this where people just keep moving further and further out from the city. There are some nice(expensive) cities on the outside of Memphis, but they are not immune to crime. I know crime happens every where, but it is bad if I am thinking we should have stayed in Las Vegas where it was "safer". Unfortunately(actually fortunately), hubby was laid off and his last day of work is the 20th of this month. We are looking to move away now that we have no ties to here. Too bad, because we have to try to sell our house and there really are a bunch of nice things(and people) here if you can get over the rest. For me, I think it would be better to just move somewhere that I think we can raise our kids and not have to worry so much about the future.

With that said, I would pick Nashville in a heartbeat. We are trying to find hubby a job there. I have heard lots of nice things about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville