Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM

134 posts, read 681,031 times

Advertisements

Just moved to a 2 acre cabin...set up a fence for my dogs and really like this little town. However I just found out my work status will change and I might be laid off.

I am renting at about $1200 a mo plus utilities

SO...I was wondering if a few locals or those who really know this part of TN can help. Here's my thinking thus far...

1. I am throwing $$ down the drain renting even though I like the place and area. The cabin is worth about $120k and buying it might be a possibility.

2. I have about $30k in savings and if I get laid off will have to live off this. If I buy a very cheap place--mobile home--I could sell in 2 years and hopefully break about even. This is a good time to buy. I would then not lose all the rent money.

3. I rescue dogs and have three now. I need a place that is isolated...would like to not see neighbors or be fenced in with trees, etc. I have fun driving these rural roads but wonder a few things;
a. How open are those to someone new? Some of the people look like "good ol' boys" that have lived there with their families for generations.

One thing I have noticed however is even in a small town, few really know their neighbors. Outside of the closest neighbor…almost nobody next to me really knows anyone else. Like a big city, people get up, go to work, come home, have dinner, watch TV, go to sleep…repeat.

b. I really like isolation if I am working in Franklin/Brentwood area. I love pulling into my driveway and entering my little world.

4. I love the Primm Springs area I have seen. Property ain’t cheap however.

5. How can I get to know an area outside of talking to locals and driving a lot?

I know what I want…it’s just about being patient.

Is it possible to find a decent place for cheap? I only need a place to flop and space for my dogs. I’d like to get 3-5 acres.

If you were to go outside Fairview…where would you go?

If you were to go further east…what city/town would you explore?

If I get laid off, I can pretty much move anywhere. If I buy a cheaper place, I can live off of $1500 a month with no mortgae payment.

Love to hear ANY thoughts here…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 04:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,847,358 times
Sorry, but maybe you should stop rescuing dogs when you might not be able to afford your rent soon.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM

134 posts, read 681,031 times
No sorry...I have stopped. Cannot rescue dogs right now but I do HAVE three. I agree...if I was still involved it would be irresponsible even though it is a good thing to do. If I can really downsize I can help out by fostering which helps out a lot prior to adoption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville