Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,955 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am currently in Florida & am planing on moving to the Nashville/surounding area (Davidson County). I'm sure that everyone has heard how bad the housing & job market is down here. After extensive research on the housing market, I'm pretty convinced that TN will be a better place to live than FL. I have also done some research on the job market but not real sure about what I have read. I am under the assumption that getting job in this area will not be that difficult but I would like to hear what everyone has to say about this. I am also looking for rental houses or rent to own/lease option homes. If anyone has such a property or can give me any leads that would be great. Thanks to everyone for your help! Please contact me personally if you'd like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 03:27 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
The economy in Nashville and surrounding area is still very good; however, getting a job depends on several individual factors. It depends on what kind of job you're looking for, what salary range is acceptable, etc. There are certain fields where there is a high demand (medical, for example), and others where it's tough to get a job (marketing or a position in the music business, for example).

It seems like the people from out-of-state have a harder time getting a job here; some of them think it's just because they are from out-of-state. That might have a little to do with it, but it's always going to be easier for someone who lives here and is at least partially "in the know" than for someone who knows very little about the area. Also, some of the people from out-of-state are looking for a job from where they are, and/or are depending on things like Monster and CareerBuilder. There nothing wrong with using online job searches, but it shouldn't be someone's only way of looking for a job. You also have to be willing to come here and be interviewed. That can take time and money. There are a lot of professional positions available, and plenty of $10 an hour type jobs; the mid-range can be easy or tough depending on what type of business someone is looking to work in, and what job skills and experience the applicant brings to the table.

So, that's just a general overall overview of the job market in Nashville. We'd have to know more about your personal situation before we could offer much more in the way of help.

I'll let the real estate people who are members here discuss the house rental market. They know more about it than I do.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:41 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,700 times
Default Housing

Hi there guardwife...Alleycat is a great source of information and I agree with what he's shared. I work with many families who relocate here and have found that those who don't have work prior to coming tend to have a more difficult time finding a job before they get here.

Depending on the kind of work you're looking for, I'd recommend talking to some recruiters in the area. They look for candidates all over.

As far as housing, there are plenty of rental homes to choose from, depending on your budget and the area you want to live in.

If you'll give a bit more information about your job search and housing needs, I'll be happy to send you more information about area recruiters and where to look for rentals.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 3,955 times
Thank you for your insight thus far. We are looking to stay w/in an hour or so radius of Hermitage.

As far as housing......we really want a rent to own/lease option but if that doesn't work out we would like to rent a home vs an apt. We would like to keep rent right around $900 a mth so we can have a chance to save to purchase a house. We have 3 kids under 5 so we are looking for somewhere that will be safe & livable for the time being until we purchase. Even if it is a home that we can make arrangements with the owner to do work on the house in lieu of a lower rent payment.

As far as jobs.......I haven't worked officially for 5 years. I have been a SAHM but do do babysitting. I was working on getting my Family Daycare License (FL) but with a death in the family & the possibilty of moving out of state I put that on hold. I myself want something P\T or to check into opening up my own Family Daycare in TN.

My husband will pretty much take anything to start just to get us settled in TN. He has exp in the tire business, drywall delivery, tile floors & lawn & landscaping.

Again, I thank all those with whatever help you can provide.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:51 AM

156 posts, read 451,274 times
I've been searching for a job for 3 months in the retail area within Murfreesboro and have found nothing so far. I had one interview at a Kroger, but it seemed they weren't interested (it was the deli dept). I had a call from Chick-Fil-A this past week but after returning their call (4 times!!!) I never had them call me back. In my case I'm just looking for part time work and have no experience (was a SAHM for 12 years).

I'm not sure if Nashville is any different than the 'Boro. In my case I did wait until I moved to TN to start job hunting. Now I'm finally letting others help me with their connections since I wasn't successful on my own

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher2Be View Post
I've been searching for a job for 3 months in the retail area within Murfreesboro and have found nothing so far. I had one interview at a Kroger, but it seemed they weren't interested (it was the deli dept). I had a call from Chick-Fil-A this past week but after returning their call (4 times!!!) I never had them call me back. In my case I'm just looking for part time work and have no experience (was a SAHM for 12 years).

I'm not sure if Nashville is any different than the 'Boro. In my case I did wait until I moved to TN to start job hunting. Now I'm finally letting others help me with their connections since I wasn't successful on my own
Try TJ Maxx and Marshals are always hiring. Also Old Navy is opening a store in the Avenue, try there. With all the new stores opening you should be able to find something soon. Soon, the college students will be going back to class and most will leave those retail jobs.

Diane G

Old 07-23-2008, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,737 times
I've tried Careerbuilder myself(without much success) living in North Carolina as I am interested in moving back to Tennessee(I lived there for two years when I was a child) and then I got laid off in March and I'm still looking for work. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:34 PM

518 posts, read 1,792,760 times
how are jobs in the trades/skilled fields, such as air conditioning and heating?

Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
We are trying to move my son here from NJ. We have been here 2 years now, and love it, but I knew I would. I went to college here.
He works for CDW as a Customer service rep and loves his job, but he wants out of NJ. He has over 3 years of experience, so is not entry level.
He has tried Career builder and other job sites. He has also said he could fly here for an interview, and that his family lives here. He was down for a week, but it was hard getting interviews.
Does anyone know anyone hiring in that field ?(not sales)

Diane G
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: