Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times

Advertisements

Discovery, we very recently moved to Franklin and we are always commenting on how friendly the people are. I was born/raised in MI and for 20 years I lived in the Green Bay area. NE WI is friendly and Franklin might be moreso!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 06:07 PM

17 posts, read 43,106 times
Default the people

For the people....what we experienced was just a much nicer tone. We commented on how friendly even the fast food workers were compared to home. And my 7 year old son asked me why the kids in Nashville where nicer than the ones at home....I guess getting it from a kid of that age always shows the truth

Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 AM

17 posts, read 49,214 times
We moved from the Chicago area to Franklin and absolutely hate it here. We are in the process of selling so we can return. Nashville is not what it appears to be once you move here. I have not found Franklin friendly at all. Not one neighbor has spoken to us in the 6 months we have lived here. I was born and raised in Mississippi so I knew what to expect coming South so it was not culture shock for me. I find Franklin to be pretentious. If you are thinking of moving to Nashville really evaluate the pricing. There is not much difference in cost of living between Downers Grove IL and Franklin, except for property tax and state income tax. You make much more money living up North and pay a bit more in property tax and state income tax but it is more than outweighed in my opinion by quality of life with such things as mass transit, job opportunities and best of all 4 seasons.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:27 PM

603 posts, read 2,359,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goula View Post
We moved from the Chicago area to Franklin and absolutely hate it here. We are in the process of selling so we can return. Nashville is not what it appears to be once you move here. I have not found Franklin friendly at all. Not one neighbor has spoken to us in the 6 months we have lived here. I was born and raised in Mississippi so I knew what to expect coming South so it was not culture shock for me. I find Franklin to be pretentious. If you are thinking of moving to Nashville really evaluate the pricing. There is not much difference in cost of living between Downers Grove IL and Franklin, except for property tax and state income tax. You make much more money living up North and pay a bit more in property tax and state income tax but it is more than outweighed in my opinion by quality of life with such things as mass transit, job opportunities and best of all 4 seasons.
I'm so sorry you've had such a bad experience. I hope things get better for you! Do you think there are other areas in Nashville that would be less pretentious? We're thinking of moving to Tennessee from Milwaukee and I like down to earth, friendly people.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:06 AM

17 posts, read 49,214 times
I don't know about other areas, but I have not been impressed with TN in general. It definitely ranks below the midwest. I have lived in Ohio and Illinois and found both to be much friendlier and laid back than TN. I would think other parts of TN may be different, but Nashville is very left coast. The newspaper here even has country music news on the 2nd page of the paper each day. Most cities this section is reserved for real news either local or world news. I guess if you would like to live in California you might like Nashville.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:05 AM

28 posts, read 70,711 times
We moved from Rochester Hills MI a year ago and have been very happy with Nashville. (we live in a northern suburb). Most of the people I know, however, are transplants.

Imagine being outside in December without a heavy jacket!!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:30 PM

215 posts, read 712,887 times
We have lived near the St. Louis area and also lived in the Chicago suburbs (Oak Park) and we do not like it here very much. The lack of a good mass transit system, the quality of the museums and the zoo is not what we are used to coming from Chicago and St. Louis. Of course, I don't expect Nashville to be on par with such a large city as Chicago. Also for some reason, the people in my neighborhood have a huge problem with staring at us when we drive by or when we are taking a walk or a bike ride. We are not gross looking folks and we do not drive a junky car or anything. I think they may do this to everyone. I've also never meant so many fake-nice/two face people in my life than I have in Nashville. Sure there probably are a ton of exceptions, but in my experience, I haven't met that many genuine nice folks (present company excluded!). I might have a different opinion of Nashville if I lived in East Nashville or something closer to the urban area, but for now I live in Lenox Village. A lot of people love Nashville that move from the Midwest, I'm just not one of them.

We live here because we have to stay here to take care of two sick relatives. I pray that they will overcome their illness, and we can move back to St. Louis or the Chicago area sometime down the road.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 21,559 times
Default Go Buckeyes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4vol View Post
I have recently moved to Nashville from Ann Arbor MI and I love it here. The winters let me run all winter. The summers are a bit warm and muggy. But the city itself is great. I live a bit outside nashville and the commute in is not too bad leaving around 8:15 I can be on my computer at work in less than a half hour. The people are really friendly here. Like any big city there are places to avoid but overall I would say it is a great place to live!
We have a lot of Buckeys here.Ha Ha Ha

Old 08-11-2008, 06:35 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,629,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goula View Post
I think you unfortunately found Franklin not to be your cup of tea. I can easily understand what you are talking about. On the other hand, I find Murfreesboro quite the opposite. Love it here! Down to earth, real people.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppimds777 View Post
We have a lot of Buckeys here.Ha Ha Ha

I'm married to one.

I've lived in MI, WI, CA, Germany, MN and my husband has lived in OH, AL, WI and TN and we both find the Nashville area to be very friendly....and NOTHING like California, although the people there were friendly too. I disliked Memphis intensely, but Franklin and Nashville have been good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville