Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Nashville: reliable job market info, small house, marketable skills, grocery and housing prices

Old 08-08-2008, 09:21 AM

100 posts, read 326,455 times

Advertisements

I know this is a subject that has gone bad in most posts. I really LOVE Long Island - but the high cost of things is forcing us to leave. I know in this day and age it is a lot to wish for, but we have a 1 year-old and want to have another child - we would like for me to be able to stay home to raise them until they are school-aged.

We visited Charlotte in January because hubby's boss moved there and opened his own business. He offered hubby a job with him. We liked the area, but for me for some reason I felt uneasy and not comfortable. Maybe it was the fact that all I saw were roads going in and new chain stores being built all over. We liked the Denver area best and even found a house we liked. On our way back to LI, we visited friends in Wake Forest. We both agreed that it was a better opportunity for hubby being in the Tech field to live in the Triangle area. (Hubby works in Systems Support for a major company based here on Long Island) We found a house we liked there as well. We were even planning another trip down this month - but TN came into the picture and we are going there instead. Also, RDU/Wake is closer to LI so my trip to visit my LI family would be a shorter trip.

I have family in TN... some in Kingston, Hermitage, Lebanon & Mt. Juliet. I have not been to visit in 12 years. We will be going down to look around at the opportunities available to us. Of course, that 9 hour trip is now 14+ hours if we moved to TN.

My thing is that for some reason, even without visiting TN again - it scares me. I have family there and I should be more comfortable, but I am not. I know I should wait to visit first then make up my mind... but I feel like NC has more to offer as far as jobs go and also closer to home.

We would have gone back to NC, but we are afraid that we will be in the same situation that we are now as the population growth is so huge. We don't want to have to pick up and go because of high taxes and such and hubby feels TN has a longer way to go than NC to reach that point.

My question here is: is there any place that I can find reliable job market info? I read a lot on this board and to tell you the truth you don't know what the story is behind people's job searches. I mean someone could post "I can't find work" while they won't settle for a "lesser position" and someone could post "I found work in 5 minutes" and be willing to pick up a shovel... know what I mean?

Let me add that we do not want a McMansion... we would like to even be in a small house. We just want a chance to live life a little. Hubby works a day job and then another at night. Day job forced him to work this past weekend - 14 hours/day without pay - he is salaried. This happens a LOT. We have no family life because either $ or work gets in the way. I sincerely do not want to leave LI... I was born here... It is sad that I have to think of moving away from a place I have been all my life

Sorry post is so long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:22 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,844 times
You would hate TN.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM

286 posts, read 804,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
You would hate TN.
Why would you say that?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post
I know this is a subject that has gone bad in most posts. I really LOVE Long Island - but the high cost of things is forcing us to leave. I know in this day and age it is a lot to wish for, but we have a 1 year-old and want to have another child - we would like for me to be able to stay home to raise them until they are school-aged.

We visited Charlotte in January because hubby's boss moved there and opened his own business. He offered hubby a job with him. We liked the area, but for me for some reason I felt uneasy and not comfortable. Maybe it was the fact that all I saw were roads going in and new chain stores being built all over. We liked the Denver area best and even found a house we liked. On our way back to LI, we visited friends in Wake Forest. We both agreed that it was a better opportunity for hubby being in the Tech field to live in the Triangle area. (Hubby works in Systems Support for a major company based here on Long Island) We found a house we liked there as well. We were even planning another trip down this month - but TN came into the picture and we are going there instead. Also, RDU/Wake is closer to LI so my trip to visit my LI family would be a shorter trip.

I have family in TN... some in Kingston, Hermitage, Lebanon & Mt. Juliet. I have not been to visit in 12 years. We will be going down to look around at the opportunities available to us. Of course, that 9 hour trip is now 14+ hours if we moved to TN.

My thing is that for some reason, even without visiting TN again - it scares me. I have family there and I should be more comfortable, but I am not. I know I should wait to visit first then make up my mind... but I feel like NC has more to offer as far as jobs go and also closer to home.

We would have gone back to NC, but we are afraid that we will be in the same situation that we are now as the population growth is so huge. We don't want to have to pick up and go because of high taxes and such and hubby feels TN has a longer way to go than NC to reach that point.

My question here is: is there any place that I can find reliable job market info? I read a lot on this board and to tell you the truth you don't know what the story is behind people's job searches. I mean someone could post "I can't find work" while they won't settle for a "lesser position" and someone could post "I found work in 5 minutes" and be willing to pick up a shovel... know what I mean?

Let me add that we do not want a McMansion... we would like to even be in a small house. We just want a chance to live life a little. Hubby works a day job and then another at night. Day job forced him to work this past weekend - 14 hours/day without pay - he is salaried. This happens a LOT. We have no family life because either $ or work gets in the way. I sincerely do not want to leave LI... I was born here... It is sad that I have to think of moving away from a place I have been all my life

Sorry post is so long!
The job market in the Nashville area is very strong. There are a lot of whiners out there that buy into the mainstream media's efforts to paint the job market as bleak as possible so that a Democrat will be elected in November.

I don't know anyone who has put serious effort into finding a good job here and hasn't been successful. Of course, most people I know have marketable skills and know how to write a resume and how to interview well.

You also mentioned East Tennessee. That is where I grew up, and while I have never lived there as an adult, I still have friends there, and none of them are standing in the unemployment line.

If you actually put some effort into finding a good job, and you bring something to the table, you will have no problems.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:06 AM

150 posts, read 441,508 times
I just moved here from the Raleigh/Durham area in early June. I lived in a suburb for three years. I lost my job there in late February. From everything I experienced, read, saw and heard that area was having issues with unemployment also. I taught at a tech type of school (private)that had been around for a decade and our enrollments were down as were some of our competitors. Of course the community colleges weren't having that problem as their tuition is very low.

I lived in Morrisville (a suburb of Raleigh). My apartment was right accross the street from an area called "Preston". Preston is in both Morrisville and Cary. It is considered the "Beverly Hills" of Raleigh. It's very popular due to it's proximity to RTP and the airport and it's safety and cleanliness. It was voted one of the safest cities in America in the last couple of years. Many, many people in the tech, research and pharmaceutical fields live there because of the easy commute to RTP.

The smallest homes in Preston (about 1700 sq ft and there are very, very few) were starting in $260k range before the housing funk. The prices go into a few million or so. I saw many houses and McMansions all of a sudden become empty at stay empty. Some of these had just been built in the time that I lived in Morrisville. It was my understanding that the tech industry (along with research and pharmaceutical) was suffering as there were many companies reducing the workforce.

Also, the Raleigh News and Observer ran a front page article in their Sunday edition a year or so ago about the population growth in that area. The projection was that the population of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (what they call the "triangle" area) was to double by 2010. They also commented on a particular county (I don't remember which one) in upstate NY where unemployment was very high. It seems like most jobs were in some type of manufacturing. The jobs were ending with no other prospects in the area. Apparently a few people relocated to the Raleigh area and word got around that they were able to find jobs so many more came too.

In my opinion, the roads their cannot handle the population they have now. I40 is a major nightmare in the mornings. Its the main drag along with two by passes (I440 and I540). I440 is also a nightmare. Then they also have I85 and I95 and of course US1. I was fortunate in that I traveled I540 (the new bypass which was just fully completed) in the opposite direction of most of the traffic on my way to work. But, the other direction was pretty packed in the am.

I have no idea what the job market has done since I left. I can say that grocery and housing prices are about the same, but gas seems to be a little cheaper here. Your husband might want to check into working for one of the Universities in the area (Duke, UNC and NC State) they are alway going gang busters. Also, there is a lot of ethnic diversity in the area due to the Universities and Tech companies.

I certainly understand your feelings. I am very supportive of "gut instincts". It's rarely ever let me down. But, I would suggest that you visit here before making your decision. I moved here out of the blue, am very happy and would never move back to the Raleigh area even though I miss the friends I made there.

Good luck!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM

Thank you for your replies! I actually searched the internet for this information and of course this board... but again you don't know what anyone is doing (or not doing) to find a job.
Hubby's attitude is a good one. He is a dependable hard worker and has a lot to offer in his field. He has the attitude that "McDonald's is always hiring" and will do anything until the right job comes along.
We rely on the internet as more than half of our money and it can all be gone tomorrow. That is no way to live. It is too much pressure on him and it is not fair.
All we want is a chance at life in a nice place with nice people. We are friendly, simple people who just want a chance....

Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Also.. Any suggestions for investigating jobs in the Mt. Juliet area while we are down there? Is there anything in this area that we truly cannot leave without seeing to get a real feel for the area? Meaning we would like to get a feel for living there.
I am now a member of Gymboree here on Long Island and have met moms and babies and built great relationships with these people. Anything like that going on down in Mt. Juliet?

Old 08-08-2008, 01:49 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
LI2South, I just want to say that I grew up in Suffolk County, LI until 10 years ago when I moved to Connecticut. I have since move to TN. Having family here who can show you around or even help when needed is a big advantage as we didn't have family or friends down here.

I find the people to be very friendly and the cost of living compared to LI and Conn. is much less. You would be able to have a family down here.

We live north of Nashville but been down to Mt. Juliet a few times. I don't know about where to live, work, etc., but it's worth coming down and checking it all out.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:19 PM

187 posts, read 612,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI2South View Post

Sorry post is so long!
Hi Li2South! We just moved down to middle TN from Suffolk County! We are only here a week and a half, but we love it! The people are great, very welcoming, and where we are (Hendersonville) feels a lot like LI to me (but nicer in my opinion). We have 3 children and got off LI for the same reasons you are speaking about! I'm sure it's not for everyone, but once you visit you will know more about how you would feel calling it home. Our families and friends are still on LI, but are coming to visit in the next few months with plans to relocate themselves (some of them anyway). Everybody is different, but we love it here, I would never go back!! Best of luck with your decision... feel free to DM me if you want to know more.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,280,633 times
mom2three, I do agree with you that Hendersonville feels like Long Island. I go down there shopping all the time. In some ways I wish I had looked down there also for a house last year as I'm always driving there since it's more country where I am. Having grown up on LI, I love all the stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville