Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family moving from Detroit to Nashville area, housing budget around 100k, country setting or suburbs, information on job market and availability

Old 02-03-2007, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,659 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are thinking of relocating to the Nashville area from Detroit. We are so done with this crime-infested cold rusty hellhole! I am in the music business and play in a national southern-rock act, and also drive a tractor-trailer. My wife is in the medical insurance field. We have 3 kids, 2 in school, 1 ready for college or building/contracting (his preference), 3 dogs and a cat. We need housing in the low 100k, either country setting (preffered) or subdivision (that will allow our pets). Looking for the best locations to check out when we come down there in the next month or so. We heard Murfreesboro was nice and a few other communities. My band is in Fla., but we are leaving family behind here, so Tenn. seems ideal as it is less than a days drive to either location. How is the job market there in the fields that I mentioned? How hard is it to find a job if you are 50? (me) Just lost a job here due to a company merge, that I thought would be here forever! Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 42,011 times
Smile from what i know

My husband and I don't live in Nashville; however, we plan on moving there this year (probably Springfield or Lebanon- both close to the city but rural enough). We've been to Nashville and loved it! We loved the easy-going friendly people and the slower pace of the city overall. And, we love that it has big-city offerings (cultural and educational things to do).

From our research, we found that the #1 industry is Health Care...good for your wife. The music industry is big there, of course. According to friends of ours in the national/international music scene, Nashville is the number 2 recording capital of the world for all genres of music (LA is #1; NY is #3). We also found out that there are alot of publishing houses there, and that it is considered an educational hub. The Nashville Chamber of Commerce has a decent website with good links....check it out.

Good luck and peace

Old 02-07-2007, 06:07 PM

156 posts, read 680,149 times
hello
my husband and I just moved to Franklin...he also is a musician...he has been to some song writer groups..etc...he also is in a band and travels some..but looking for a gig here..... he will be able to tell you alot... email is mike@musicmike.net
we find the people friendly and genuine...
There are some wonderful areas...murfreesboro is nice...we went to Nolensville last weekend...very cool area....

Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

30 posts, read 90,358 times
Hey Galvin, one of my buyer's agents just moved here from Michigan in October and she's loving it. She's also really familiar with the trucking industry (she used to own a trucking company with her ex-husband) and one of her clients is in the process of buying a terminal here. Feel free to e-mail me your info and I could pass it on to her (toristamps@comcast.net). I can't promise anything, but she might be able to help you find a house and a job!

As for where to live, there's lots of different locations that fit what you described - Hickman county is pretty rural, but you get a lot more for your money out there. If you're not sure where to look at houses, you can access MLS listings on my website at http://www.leipers-fork-real-estate.com/idx.asp (broken link).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville