Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 12:49 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,565,838 times

Advertisements

What is it about Nashville that you really don't like at all? For me, one would be the lack of a great rail system, but that might just be me. I'd be curious as to what you natives really don't like about Nashville--the friendliest city in America according to Travel & Leisure--but that doesn't mean all is peachy there...no place is.
So, what are the 10 things you hate most about living in Nashville?????

Old 01-01-2010, 01:26 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
What is it about Nashville that you really don't like at all? For me, one would be the lack of a great rail system, but that might just be me. I'd be curious as to what you natives really don't like about Nashville--the friendliest city in America according to Travel & Leisure--but that doesn't mean all is peachy there...no place is.
So, what are the 10 things you hate most about living in Nashville?????
1. Conservatism
2. Religious fanatics
3. Suburban sprawl
4. People really are slower in the South (this is also a positive in some ways)
5. Rednecks and hicks
6. Chain restaurants
7. UT
8. Gun policy
9. Lack of diversity
10. Downtown (city core) is not really a livable place yet, although growth is slowing happening.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM

How conservative is Nashville? According to the demographics, seems like it isn't all that religious, but, from reading this board, that seems to be a fallacy and it IS really religious. Amazing.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
I haven't found it overly religious...No more than any other larger southern city. Politics seem to lean to the right, which is a good thing. I can only think of two dislikes...Not really hates...

(1) The state is more gun friendly than others, but current state government still lacks enough people with the common sense to properly support the 2nd amendment. IE: The recent "guns in restaurants" bill and the idiocy that followed it's passing.

(2) The good ole' boy network is fairly strong. It takes some effort to get inside the circle, but once you're in it's all good.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 PM

Can someone explain the gun laws there? I got on the NRA board for your State but didn't see anything alarming there.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:24 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,479 times
Getting a carry permit is fairly easy as long as you don't have a felony or domestic violence charge following you. With a permit, you can carry pretty much anywhere. Exceptions are some parks, schools and places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises.

There was a recent bill that allowed guns in restaurants that derived more than 50% of their revenue from food. The law prohibiting carry while consuming was and still is in place. The law stated that any establishment that did not care to allow patrons to carry could opt out by simply posting. A bunch of liberal restaurant owners got their panties in a bunch because they did not like the fact they the task of banning guns now rested on them instead of the state.

Long story short...They sued the state, got lucky and got a liberal judge and the law was repealed on a technicality on how the law was worded. The same group were in a tizzy when the laws changed making it easier to get a permit. They claimed it would be like the old west with people being gunned down in the streets. Of course, that never happened. Facts are clearly on the permit holders side, so the restaurant carry bill will be back.

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but you asked...

Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Trust me... as someone who used to live in suburban Detroit. Nashville is not too conservative. It is actually good to have another "side" to many of the liberal policies that (IMHO) are rather destructive to cities (to wit: Detroit's high taxes, high crime, high unionization, poor schools, etc.). Yet, Nashville has not elected a Republican congressman (ever that I know of). Sure, religion is big there, but you also have an enormous support network for the sick and poor families in the region. I recall seeing a WSJ poll from a few years ago that said TN ranked among the most charitable states in the country.

Mind you, I'd never say that Nashville is perfect... but I'd say it ranks at the top of all the cities where I've lived in WI, KY, MI, GA, NC, TX, NJ.

Why all the interest Tootsie?

Old 01-02-2010, 06:15 AM

cut

Surely you don't think the Chamber of Commerce puts out a list of the negatives there for those looking at the area as a place to live in...

Last edited by Beretta; 01-02-2010 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: portion containing reference to deleted posts removed

Old 01-02-2010, 06:41 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,508,225 times
Actually, just wondering if you were interested because you were considering a move.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:33 AM

67 posts, read 221,551 times
Nashville has 700 churches, mosques, etc., so of course it is a religious city. There is no denying that but there isn't a gun that is put to your head to make you workship at any of these places.
There is no perfect city in America--it's what works for your needs. I dislike people who come to a city seeking what they can TAKE from it. What can you contribute? People need to figure out what they value then find a state that suits their values and needs. The state is not going to change for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville