Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 01:14 AM

71 posts, read 743,176 times

Advertisements

Living in NYC right now looking at places to move to and was wondering what you people dislike/hate about your city. By the way hows the diversity in Nashville? And how hard is it to meet people and make friends? I don't go to the bar at all because im allergic to alcohol. =( Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 08:18 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id3ntidycrisis View Post
Living in NYC right now looking at places to move to and was wondering what you people dislike/hate about your city. By the way hows the diversity in Nashville? And how hard is it to meet people and make friends? I don't go to the bar at all because im allergic to alcohol. =( Thanks!
I love everything about Nashville. I am from LI, NY orginally, have lived in Chelsea in NYC, and moved here a little over 2 years ago from Momouth County, NJ. Nashville is more deverse than people think. My daughter went to a HS here that was almost like the United Nations, people from different countries. The Suburbs have a variety of people from different states of the US, to name a few, a large amount from California, which came with the Nissan move here. Also many Floridians who escaped the growing insurance rates there and the high occurance of Huricanes. I belong to a new Neighbors group and the members are from Calif, NJ, NY, ohio, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Ohio, Chicago, Illinois, TX, Arizona, Nevada, Mass,Connecticut, Canada, The UK, and yes we have Native Tennesseans who either came back here or joined for the activities under the Amesty program. There are probably more that I forgot about.
Nashville has much to offer, History, Every kind of Music, Ballet, we have a renouned Symphony Orchestra.
Its not large like NYC, but it also does not have all their problems. People are friendly for the most part. For Sure its not all Bars, Remember this is the Bible Belt, so you will find all religions here.

Diane G

Old 09-27-2008, 11:35 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
I moved here in January and in general I like most everything about Nashville. There is one thing I don't like though and that's the fact that there seem to be so many neighborhoods in which many people keep up their yards and everything looks really nice while a next door neighbor will not bother mowing their lawn and it looks really junky. My neighbor's yard has grass that must be a foot and a half high and most of the other yards are well kept and maintained. Of course there's expensive neighborhoods where things are generally very well taken care of but I've done alot of driving around to various parts of town and I see this same thing happening in many areas. I wish the city would crack down on people who don't take care of their property.
There's many positive things though, traffic isn't bad compared to other places I've lived, there's a great music scene and cultural events, the climate is generally mild and I find people to be genuinely friendly. I have no regrets about moving here at all.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,364,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I moved here in January and in general I like most everything about Nashville. There is one thing I don't like though and that's the fact that there seem to be so many neighborhoods in which many people keep up their yards and everything looks really nice while a next door neighbor will not bother mowing their lawn and it looks really junky. My neighbor's yard has grass that must be a foot and a half high and most of the other yards are well kept and maintained. Of course there's expensive neighborhoods where things are generally very well taken care of but I've done alot of driving around to various parts of town and I see this same thing happening in many areas. I wish the city would crack down on people who don't take care of their property.
There's many positive things though, traffic isn't bad compared to other places I've lived, there's a great music scene and cultural events, the climate is generally mild and I find people to be genuinely friendly. I have no regrets about moving here at all.
We don't have the Grass problem because the person would get one of those nice little letters from the Homeowners Assoc. I live in Nashville, but in a subdivision near the Williamson County order. Most HOA'S here are strict about this.

Diane G

Old 09-27-2008, 03:38 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
We don't have the Grass problem because the person would get one of those nice little letters from the Homeowners Assoc. I live in Nashville, but in a subdivision near the Williamson County order. Most HOA'S here are strict about this.

Diane G
I live in Murfreesboro in Rutherford County and our HOA is very strict, so all the yards are fine. The entire Nashville area is very diverse. I moved here in 94 from North Jersey and had absolutely no problem making friends, as I am not into the bar scene either. I love it here!

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-27-2008 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-27-2008, 03:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,620,342 times
Diane wrote:
Quote:
You're fortunate, I've also lived in areas with HOA's in Phoenix and although we mostly had desert landscaping you had to keep things neat. I live in East Nashville and it does have some run down areas. There are some beautiful older homes and people are always restoring houses in this area but there are streets where you see cars up on blocks that look like junk yards. I'm trying to fix up my house too, both inside and out, so at least my house and almost all of the houses on my street will make a good impression.
I do get the feeling that there's a much larger percentage of poor people in Nashville than other cities I've lived in. Of course Nashville is also and up and coming southern city and my overall impression is that it has great potential. The downtown area is becoming revitalized and there's some major construction of office buildings, condos, etc. which give the appearance of a healthy economy.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:57 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,096 times
About the only thing I don't like is that the entire greater Nashville is not very bike/pedestrian friendly. The people do not seem to be health conscious at all. We just try to associate ourselves with the right people. There are health clubs, bike clubs, hiking clubs, etc. We're not health fanatics, we just have a desire to live past the age of 60. Other than that, it's nice a place to live.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
About the only thing I don't like is that the entire greater Nashville is not very bike/pedestrian friendly. The people do not seem to be health conscious at all. We just try to associate ourselves with the right people. There are health clubs, bike clubs, hiking clubs, etc. We're not health fanatics, we just have a desire to live past the age of 60. Other than that, it's nice a place to live.
Rossc....I agree with you. There do seem to be more and more health clubs opening though. With all of the transplants that come here in droves every year, and I am one of them, I believe Nashville will continue to become more health conscious. Hope I'm right.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:45 PM

427 posts, read 1,307,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I'm with you on that. Nashville's doing better with recreational riding, but there's something ironic about having to load the bike on the back of the car to go to a place where it's possible to ride safely.

It's also very difficult to ride for errands. Between the multilane roads chopping up neighborhoods, the lack of shoulders, and the reality that most riders and drivers have no idea what the rules are for sharing the roads, I'm close to giving up on using my bike for short trips to the store.

Walking is almost as bad, but at least a few areas have sidewalks.

Old 09-27-2008, 11:42 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,096 times
I bike 10-20 miles a day. I won't give it up, but I feel like it's just a matter of time before something happens. The drivers here seem to think that those of us who choose to ride a bike should stop, hand them a big mac and light their cigarette as they drive past us with the horn blowing. I've never seen so many people so passionately against exercise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville