Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:23 PM

13 posts, read 46,613 times

Advertisements

My wife, my 16 month old little boy, and I are planning on relocating in the near future. We've narrowed it down to the Nashville area and Fayetteville, Arkansas. We currently live in Baton Rouge, LA and we hate it for multiple reasons. We were just wondering if anyone could give us any opinions on the two cities, and especially if anyone has moved from Fayetteville to Nashville. School districts, outdoor activities, weather, and any else that we should know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 05:31 PM

204 posts, read 876,695 times
Not sure you could compare the two - like comparing apples to oranges. Nashville is a large city while Fayetteville is a small city. Best of luck

Old 12-07-2008, 06:03 PM

597 posts, read 2,109,069 times
I'm sure Fayetteville is a nice area. It's growing rapidly and home to many successful companies. It's considerably smaller than Nashville. Population of Fayetteville is around 70k and MSA of about 419k. This compares to Nashville at 610K city, nearly 1.6 million MSA. I'm sure each would be comfortable living in their own ways, but deciding what type of area you want should be first consideration. I would guess we have more big city problems on one hand, and more big city amenities on another. This is a tough one.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the response. I think I need to be more specific in area rather than saying Nashville in general. We would be interested in living in the Franklin/Cool Springs/Brentwood area rather than in Nashville since I'm reading that the public schools are nicer in these cities. Any comparison? The population doesn't matter to us, besides not wanting to live in a small podunk town without any amenities. We've lived in Dallas, Irving, Baton Rouge, and now hoping to relocate for to start a business. Thank you for any reponse.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:42 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Franklin/Brentwood/Cool Springs are all in Williamson County. Although Williamson County is the wealthiest county in Tennessee that also translates into higher housing prices than the other surrounding counties. The Williamson County School System is rated the highest in the state based on the State Report Card. However, there are also other school systems in the area that rate highly(Rutherford County and Sumner County). It would probably be helpful to you to visit three areas around Nashville to get a better feel for those areas as they relate to what you are looking for. Williamson County(Brentwood & Franklin), Rutherford County(Murfreesboro), and Sumner County(Hendersonville) are all very popular areas around Nashville. Each of them has much to offer but they are different. If you haven't already, just Google each of these areas to get more details about them.
If you could give more specifics as to what you are looking for in terms of community amenities, housing and prices, and convenience to where you work will be located we might be able to help you more.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM

378 posts, read 1,207,110 times
JSouth, from what I hear from a friend near Fayetteville, Nashville has a much better economy. I hope to move from BR to Nashville myself within the next few years so I am jealous! There is nothing here in BR if you are single. It's getting depressing.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

BR is depressing in general. Thanks for the response. My wife and I are chiropractors looking to open a clinic either in the Franklin or around the Vanderbilt area. Housing we currently live in a $160,000 home so we would be looking for similar housing or renting for 6 months to a year until we get the clinic up and running and find the area we would want to live. Amentities are always a plus, from great dining options to outdoor activites, we enjoy it all. We will be driving south in Louisiana once a month to visit her family, so I don't know if location plays a part in that either. How is holistic medicine accepted?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,157,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth1 View Post
BR is depressing in general. Thanks for the response. My wife and I are chiropractors looking to open a clinic either in the Franklin or around the Vanderbilt area. Housing we currently live in a $160,000 home so we would be looking for similar housing or renting for 6 months to a year until we get the clinic up and running and find the area we would want to live. Amentities are always a plus, from great dining options to outdoor activites, we enjoy it all. We will be driving south in Louisiana once a month to visit her family, so I don't know if location plays a part in that either. How is holistic medicine accepted?

Have you done any market research on the need for additional chiropractors in the Nashville area? If not, you might consider doing some before you move as there are dozens of chiropractic clinics in the area. I don't know if there are enough chiropractors in the area to serve the population needs or not so some initial research might be warranted.
As far as dining options and outdoor activities you will have plenty from which to choose.
If you do move, your idea of renting before buying makes a lot of sense. Also, location around the Nashville area won't make a significant difference in your travel to Louisiana. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:58 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,939,090 times
I'm also considering Fayetteville area or Nashville to move to within the next few months. My first pick was Nashville, but from my research I've been told the economy is not so good now in Nashville & better in NWA (jobs, etc.)It's really hard to know who to believe! Taxes sure seem to be alot lower in TN then AR.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:40 AM

4 posts, read 9,647 times
Thumbs up Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsouth1 View Post
My wife, my 16 month old little boy, and I are planning on relocating in the near future. We've narrowed it down to the Nashville area and Fayetteville, Arkansas. We currently live in Baton Rouge, LA and we hate it for multiple reasons. We were just wondering if anyone could give us any opinions on the two cities, and especially if anyone has moved from Fayetteville to Nashville. School districts, outdoor activities, weather, and any else that we should know. Thank you.

I've lived in Nashville since 1994 coming from Indiana and I love it here. There is so much culture and adversity here. Nashville is growing at leaps and bounds (all for the good). The one thing I really Love about this city is it's Christian beleifs. People here don't turn their backs on one another.
We have some great small community's inside of this big one with lots of space to raise your family in peace. There's a lot of family activity's too.
Choose Nashville, you won't be sorry!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville