Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM

6 posts, read 25,240 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend is looking at getting an apartment on old hickory blvd but has heard the traffic is terriable....Is that true? If so is there ways around it? She will have a 7 to 5 job at Vanderbult....The apartment is East of I-65 south...If anybody has any help on this it would be greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited by Volsboy; 12-14-2008 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:15 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
East of which I-65? North or south of town?

In any event, traffic in the morning probably won't be too bad; she's be coming in off of peak rush hours times. The evening commute will probably be worse; traffic will be very heavy around Vanderbilt at 5:00 and both I-65 N and I-65 S carry a lot of traffic. Still, if she's from a city where there was a lot of traffic it might not seem so bad. If she's from a small town it will probably seem awful until she gets used to it.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 PM

Its I-65 south because shes looking at an apartment on east old hickory blvd. Thank you for your response alleycat. Is old Hickory Blvd traffic bad too?

Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsboy View Post
Is old Hickory Blvd taffic bad too?
I don't travel that route on a daily basis, but I would guess it would be at the times you mentioned. A lot of other people will be getting on and off of I-65 as well.

Some employers will flex a little on work times; she might check and see if Vanderbilt would. If she could kinda get out of the Vanderbilt area before 5:00 it would make the afternoon commute a little easier.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:14 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,613 times
During peak traffic times Old Hickory Blvd. traffic is extremely heavy. What is normally a 15 minute drive could easily be 30-40 minutes during rush hour, depending on how far east of I-65 she will be.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:50 PM

187 posts, read 623,419 times
is there a particular reason she has chosen that area or specific apartment? I might can make a few better suggestions depending on her price point.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
is there a particular reason she has chosen that area or specific apartment? I might can make a few better suggestions depending on her price point.
Actually there isnt a particular reason...her price range is 700 at the most i would say roughly...but it needs to be in a safe area and not too far from Vanderbilt. Thank you gabby

Last edited by Volsboy; 12-14-2008 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 04:28 PM

187 posts, read 623,419 times
I live 10 minutes from Vandy and used to work there for years. One thing I discovered and took full advantage of is the benefit Vandy gives all employees of free bus fare. The reason this is wonderful is because it is not only expensive to park at Vanderbilt as an employee but also extremely inconvenient. I would drive to Vandy in 10 minutes but would spend another 20 minutes getting from the parking lot to the medical center. The bus picks you up and has you at the front door in 10 minutes and it is free!! The busses are very clean and neat, the drivers are very courteous and most of the passengers are also going to Vandy or work downtown. So, if she wants to have this as an option, she may want to consider moving to Green Hills or even Bellvue area. I personally live in Green Hills and here is a link to some apartments that are very nice and are a few steps from the bus stop. Schatten Properties: Royal Arms of Green Hills
This is an extremely safe area with lots of things to do without leaving your neighborhood. She might also find some condos in the area for rent on craigslist. So unless she really has a reason to move to the Old Hickory Blvd. area, I would consider elsewhere due to the traffic, convenience and safety.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Gabby,

Thank you...that is most helpful...i will for sure let her know about green hills and bellvue areas. I was unaware of the parking issues down there. thanks again

Old 12-14-2008, 05:01 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,156,613 times
I would second Gabby's recommendation about Green Hills in terms of safety, convenience to Vandy, and things to do. It would all come down to finding a place to stay that she can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville