Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 09:49 PM

39 posts, read 246,224 times

Advertisements

As from my research for this area and looking at houses for sale from $160,000.00 and under, it seems like Cheatham County is a very nice and affordable place to bring my family. Are there any inside truths that I need to be aware of about this county or is it really as nice as it looks in the pictures? I also saw that crime is really low in this area to but again, I know statistics are relative. We are also considering Mount Juliet but we are looking for a place that will not grow much and turn into a city in 3 years. We want as country as it gets but close enough for a commute to Nashville. What do you recomend? Will Cheatham County provide a safe environment and friendly atmosphere if we drive into town or meet our neighbors? What part of Cheatham County do you recommend based on my previous post?

Last edited by music-composer; 03-04-2007 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 10:13 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music-composer View Post
As from my research for this area and looking at houses for sale from $160,000.00 and under, it seems like Cheatham County is a very nice and affordable place to bring my family. Are there any inside truths that I need to be aware of about this county or is it really as nice as it looks in the pictures? I also saw that crime is really low in this area to but again, I know statistics are relative. We are also considering Mount Juliet but we are looking for a place that will not grow much and turn into a city in 3 years. We want as country as it gets but close enough for a commute to Nashville. What do you recomend? Will Cheatham County provide a safe environment and friendly atmosphere if we drive into town or meet our neighbors?
If your choices are Cheatham County or Mount Juliet, my vote is for Cheatham County. Mount Juliet is a fast-growing suburb; the lines separating Mount Juliet from Nashville's city limits are quickly disappearing. Mount Juliet's population went from 12,000 in 2000 to 18,000 in 2005. In 1990 it had 5,000.

The west side of the metro Nashville area isn't growing nearly as quickly. Cheatham County is still largely rural, its population going from 35,000 in 2000 to 38,000 in 2005. The Harpeth River is protected and is great for canoeing. There are still a lot of farms in Cheatham County.

Nashville's not getting any smaller, however, and as the booming counties north, east and south continue to get more expensive, more people will start looking at Cheatham County. But for now, I think it's probably the most affordable part of the Nashville metro area if you're looking for acreage.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:17 PM

Hey thanks. Do you know any realitors that sell alot of property in the Cheatham County area? We are first time home buyers and are still in search for a job but will probrably have one lined up by the time we move.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM

What part of Cheatham County do you recommend? I see there are 4 counties inside of it.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by music-composer View Post
What part of Cheatham County do you recommend? I see there are 4 counties inside of it.
I assume you mean communities. There are actually more than that. You're probably looking at a map that shows Pegram, Kingston Springs, etc.

From what you've said on other posts, you probably want to search from downtown Ashland City to the Davidson County line (and even over into Davidson). You probably won't be able to find the acreage you're looking for in the price range you mentioned in Kingston Spring.

Also, a word of caution, be careful about lowlands near the rivers (Cumberland and Harpeth and even Sycamore Creek); they do flood.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:01 AM

Do you think Pegram might be might best choice as far as a good place to live that doesn't flood? Thanks for the other reply to about the motels. It is so nice to get inside information from people who live there.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:52 AM

Pegram is still basically a rural area that is it's own community. It has a small "strip center" with a few shops, a bank, and that sort of thing. You could search there, or a little further out Highway 70S, and on the road that goes between Pegram over to River Road (I've forgotten the name of it). The topography is from rolling hills to some fairly steep land. Except for some creek bottoms and the areas near the river (further out), flooding wouldn't be a great concern.

Have you contacted a real estate agent yet? I happen to know a couple (wives of friends). They could easily look up listings on the MLS computer and send you some information to get you started. I'm not trying to talk you into using these, and I have no connection with them other than knowing them personally.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-05-2007 at 05:06 AM..

Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 AM

16 posts, read 72,904 times
I would double check very deeply into the different areas (communities) in Cheatham County as they vary greatly with some of them having at least a 50% or better poverty rate. The entire counties population is less than 40,000 so you can expect more of a backwoods, good ole boy syndrome as far as the government and certain communities go.
The counties growth was stunted in the last decade when they raised the impact fee to $7500 then lowered it after a few years after that to $3500, now it is begining to grow again, but there is not a good (business)tax base there yet to support any substanial growth.
I would not move into Ashland City, but Pleasant View (north east) and Pegram (south west) are nice. Pegram has a lot of songwriters in the area and as a bonus it borders the higher priced Williamson County and is nearer to Belleve.
If you have children check out the schools and scores first, before you buy, as they vary greatly too.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:48 AM

Hey Life is Good,
Thanks for the tip. What is an impact fee? Yeah, my wife were looking into the Pegram area. It very nice there and we wouldn't work in Cheatham County but live there and commute to Nashville. I have seen alot of good property in Pegram so we're excited to check it out. Is it pretty safe in Pegram? Right now we live in Hampton Roads and where we live is way overpriced and not very safe.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:11 PM

By the way, music-composer, you might also want to check out the areas northwest of Nashville along I-40 towards Clarksville. After a certain point (say, Exit 31), it starts to become much less sparsely populated. Off the Interstate, it's rural.

And a note about Cheatham County related to what "Life is Good" posted. In other posts here to others I've mentioned that Cheatham County has a number of problems due to its size and location. Those didn't seem to be factors for you since you said you were going to be working in Nashville and didn't mention anything about children or schools; in other words, you were basically looking for a bedroom community near Nashville. Cheatham County itself is probably the "poorest" county of those that surround Davidson County. Still, it would be an okay place to live as long as you don't expect the finest in government services, and realize you're probably be driving to Nashville to shop, go to a nice restaurant, and that sort of thing.

If I were moving out of Nashville, and didn't already have property in Montgomery County, I would look at Springfield/Robertson County over Cheatham County. It would be a longer drive to Nashville however.

Oh, and an impact fee is what you pay for putting up a new house. Counties have started doing that to offset the additional cost of services (especially schools) that new construction brings to an area. It started when developers started coming in to some areas and throwing up 200 or 400 houses . . . which meant a new elementary school would soon be required, additional police would be needed, etc.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-05-2007 at 01:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville