Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 06:41 PM

51 posts, read 98,981 times

Advertisements

We've just relocated to Nashville and are in the market for a house. I've always liked bungalow-style homes and disliked ranch. We drove through Sylvan Park and it's exactly the kind of area we like - attractive homes, wide streets, community feel, not located in the middle of nowhere. The catch for us is that DH is commuting to Murfreesboro for work, so we need a location that doesn't stick us with a terrible commute (longer than 40 minutes or so) prone to traffic snarls. I've heard I-440 is a beast during rush hour so we're thinking Sylvan is not a good location for us. Also, questionable middle and high schools? Thoughts?

We're looking for:
- non-ranch style, preferably bungalow or similar
- 3/2 preferred but will consider 2/2 (given our budget)
- good schools
- under $250k.

We don't need to be close to downtown but also don't want to be too far out.

Also, anyone have firsthand familiarity with the commute from Franklin to the Boro? It looks pretty long, unfortunately. We like Franklin (though it might be over our budget - ah, budgets get in the way of life!).

If anybody has suggestions for neighborhoods to peruse, please shout. We're flexible on size of house, and expect it may be pretty small given our price range. If it helps, I think Crieve Hall type neighborhood would be great (good location, wide streets, nice yards, good schools) if the houses weren't ranch.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 AM

813 posts, read 2,032,550 times
Do you want to live in Nashville or Franklin? I can't really speak to established areas similar to Sylvan Park in Franklin. I do know downtown Franklin has some historic residential that I imagine would be over your budget, but I have not looked. Maybe one of the helpful Williamson County posters can give you more insight into that market. Also, is Murfreesboro too far away from Nashville for you? I know they have some nice established neighborhoods near downtown that probably wouldn't burst your budget.

If you prefer Nashville, then I suggest looking south of downtown for the sake of your husband's commute. You will probably be fond of some of the East Nashville neighborhoods, but it sounds like areas like Melrose, 12South, Historic Waverly, Germantown, Woodland in Waverly and parts of Green Hills may also work. I don't imagine you will find a single family home in your range in Hillsboro-Belmont or Hillsboro-West End, but you may find a townhome. So those are worth exploring as well since you are here. I definitely recommend doing your due diligence on all these areas and even East Nashville as well so you know what's out there. If you have children middle and high school age, then you will want to be pickier about schools in Davidson County. I believe Sylvan Park is in the Hillsboro High School zone which has one of the better reps outside the magnet program. Not sure about the middle schools.

I think the commute to Murfreesboro will be manageable from Sylvan Park. Your husband would likely be doing a reverse commute against the traffic so it won't be too bad. I do a reverse commute to our office south of 440 and rarely get caught in traffic. The commute will probably average between a 40-50 minute commute with the ocassional accident making it more. The worst part of 440 during rush hour to me is the 440/24 interchange heading south in the evenings, but that would be the opposite direction from his commute.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:46 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
If you want an actual historic bungalow, budget would rule out Franklin.

There are some neighborhoods that are newer but have bungalow-style homes, such as McKays Mill and Ashton Park, but again, they are priced well above $250,000. The closest thing I could find resembling a bungalow (for sale now) in Westhaven is this:

RealTracs Mid-South Real Estate Property Finder Listing Details

and I'm not really sure what style that is. Some remuddling of farm/foursquare/bungalow.

At any rate, unless you find an old house in Franklin that needs a remodel, this is the closest you will find:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...4_M71865-56095

It's biggest drawback is that it is on a very busy stretch of a highway and very near the flood plain. But homes like this one are few and far between here in your price range.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,093,586 times
I love the one in Franklin . . off to buy a lottery ticket. Is this right downtown? Have heard there's a big stink from folks who live near downtown about how loud the music is from the clubs, etc. I think it's the price you pay for living so close to downtown but there are of course two sides to every argument!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchinthesunbake View Post
We've just relocated to Nashville and are in the market for a house. I've always liked bungalow-style homes and disliked ranch. We drove through Sylvan Park and it's exactly the kind of area we like - attractive homes, wide streets, community feel, not located in the middle of nowhere. The catch for us is that DH is commuting to Murfreesboro for work, so we need a location that doesn't stick us with a terrible commute (longer than 40 minutes or so) prone to traffic snarls. I've heard I-440 is a beast during rush hour so we're thinking Sylvan is not a good location for us. Also, questionable middle and high schools? Thoughts?

We're looking for:
- non-ranch style, preferably bungalow or similar
- 3/2 preferred but will consider 2/2 (given our budget)
- good schools
- under $250k.

We don't need to be close to downtown but also don't want to be too far out.

Also, anyone have firsthand familiarity with the commute from Franklin to the Boro? It looks pretty long, unfortunately. We like Franklin (though it might be over our budget - ah, budgets get in the way of life!).

If anybody has suggestions for neighborhoods to peruse, please shout. We're flexible on size of house, and expect it may be pretty small given our price range. If it helps, I think Crieve Hall type neighborhood would be great (good location, wide streets, nice yards, good schools) if the houses weren't ranch.

Thank you!
Just a warning: a lot of the areas with bungalows aren't going to be in neighborhoods known for their great schools. The area may be nice, gentrified, even upscale. But generally speaking, the closer you are to the city center, the more questionable the schools are (at least in the common opinion). Opinions about Metro Nashville schools in general (outside of the magnet schools) ranges from OK to OMG TAKE YOUR KIDS OUT OF THAT WAR ZONE!!! I think there's a bit of both in our school district.

The magnet schools are very good, most notably Hume Fogg and MLK, which are the top two public high schools in the state. But the best of the magnet schools are lottery only. Some of them take kids from the surrounding neighborhood or zoned area, but they aren't on the same level as the two mentioned above.

Most people asking for good schools flock to Williamson County, Sumner County, Rutherford County, or Wilson County (roughly in that order). Personally, I am of the mind that it's not the school or school district that makes a student succeed or fail (though it can be an influence). Ultimately it is your decision on where you decide to send your children to school, but to put it bluntly, if your biggest concern is good schools, you're likely not to get your choice on a house. Most of Nashville's suburban growth is 1980s+, so you're not going to find a lot of selection in older homes, like bungalows, in the suburbs. In fact, mentioning "older home" in most suburbs will lead you to a ranch style house.

In Davidson County, you mentioned a Crieve Hall type neighborhood (sans most of the houses). Most older neighborhoods are not going to be so spread out, with wide streets. Most of the homes you are looking for are going to be inside the Briley Pkwy/Woodmont/Thompson Ln loop around Nashville (TN-155). This is where most of the pre 1950s housing is. There are some exceptions, such as parts of Donelson and Madison, and the Old Hickory Village area...but for the most part, outside there you're going to find mostly ranches, cookie cutters, some larger estates, and apartments.

The other factor will ultimately be price. A lot of the areas with fixed up bungalows, four squares, Queen Anne's, Tudors, and the like are pretty trendy and expensive. In a quick Zillow search, I found very little that I would consider "acceptable" in terms of size, style, or location in your price range. The areas that ariesjow mentioned are great areas, but almost bare in terms of what is available in the price range (the SW side of town is generally the most desirable).

I did find one small area that might work for you. Some of the Donelson area was settled in the 30s and 40s...not a whole lot, but enough where you can find a few older style houses there. My grandmother used to live in the Bluefields neighborhood in a house built in the late 30s. I found two properties in your price range there.

279 Cumberland Cir, Nashville, TN 37214 MLS# 1364241 - Zillow

2711 Overhill Cir, Nashville, TN 37214 MLS# 1339125 - Zillow

The area as I remember it had an aging resident population, and was gradually being turned over into a younger generation. The biggest drawback to the area is it is right in the landing path for the airport. It can be loud, but as a kid, I got used to it (and got very good at identifying planes ).

I hope this helps.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I love the one in Franklin . . off to buy a lottery ticket. Is this right downtown? Have heard there's a big stink from folks who live near downtown about how loud the music is from the clubs, etc. I think it's the price you pay for living so close to downtown but there are of course two sides to every argument!
Sort of. It is on Highway 96/Murfreesboro Road across from Pinkerton Park.

As for people complaining about noise downtown, I have a caveat. If the source of noise (bar, restaurant) was rezoned from residential to allow for live music (the most common complaint) they have a legitimate beef. However, I have little sympathy for people who live next to land zoned commercial and then complain about the commercial activity.

Likewise, I don't enjoy those who want to live "in the country" yet wish there were a Target nearby.

You can't have it both ways.

As for the OP, just so I don't get accused of hijacking, Franklin just has a limited number of charming old homes, and they command a premium price. I still kick myself every time I drive past the 150-year-old house there we "coulda" bought for $149,000 nearly 18 years ago but didn't.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,236 times
You might look at Tollgate Village. They've been building bungaloo style houses there. It is a TND and is zoned for WCS.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Ooh, great idea. I forgot about that one. It is brand new and far from Nashville, but might be a good compromise for the commute.

Tollgate Village | A Dock Street Community | Homes for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville