Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:37 PM

297 posts, read 1,078,968 times

Advertisements

Same question, but for MLB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 01:50 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
I'd love it if they did, but I don't think it's going to happen any time soon (if ever).

Old 02-13-2009, 02:07 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,815 times
I would LOVE to see this happen!

In the mean time I hope the Sounds stay, bring on Thirsty Thursdays!

Old 02-13-2009, 04:19 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
At one time Nashville was in the running for an MLB expansion franchise. The former owner of the Sounds (Larry Schmitou?) was spearheading the effort. The MLB chose Tampa Bay and Miami instead.

If Nashville didn't already have two professional sports franchises I really think it could support the MLB. It certainly couldn't have done any worse than Tampa Bay and Miami which have dismal fan support. Nashville is definitely a baseball town, even with decrepit Greer Stadium.

With Nashville's proximity to Atlanta and Cincinnati, an NL team in Nashville would've had natural rivals and probably would've enjoyed quite a bit of fan support. Going to an MLB game is a heck of a lot cheaper than going to an NFL or NHL game; it's VERY family-friendly. And with most of the games taking place during summer vacation, an MLB franchise in Nashville would enjoy huge fan support from all over the area and not just from metropolitan Nashville.

But with the NFL and NHL already in town, I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:37 PM

593 posts, read 1,356,304 times
For me, it's pretty much the same scenario as the NBA topic... small market + 800-pound gorilla (NFL) already here = long odds for any other team.

Nashville's MSA is about the same size as Milwaukee's, which, by a fair margin, is MLB's smallest. Considering that the majority of baseball revenue is generated locally instead of nationally, I have a hard time seeing how a team here could do more than barely survive.

Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM

180 posts, read 597,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
At one time Nashville was in the running for an MLB expansion franchise. The former owner of the Sounds (Larry Schmitou?) was spearheading the effort. The MLB chose Tampa Bay and Miami instead.

If Nashville didn't already have two professional sports franchises I really think it could support the MLB. It certainly couldn't have done any worse than Tampa Bay and Miami which have dismal fan support. Nashville is definitely a baseball town, even with decrepit Greer Stadium.

With Nashville's proximity to Atlanta and Cincinnati, an NL team in Nashville would've had natural rivals and probably would've enjoyed quite a bit of fan support. Going to an MLB game is a heck of a lot cheaper than going to an NFL or NHL game; it's VERY family-friendly. And with most of the games taking place during summer vacation, an MLB franchise in Nashville would enjoy huge fan support from all over the area and not just from metropolitan Nashville.

But with the NFL and NHL already in town, I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

I agree 100% with this post. I would love to see the MLB here but it's not happening anytime soon.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM

149 posts, read 478,514 times
Ship the preds out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Ship out the sounds, and all other underground sports teams except for college!!!!!!!

The we could have three franchises.

FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL/BASEBALL

Old 02-13-2009, 05:41 PM

180 posts, read 597,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwe123safi View Post
Ship the preds out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Ship out the sounds, and all other underground sports teams except for college!!!!!!!

The we could have three franchises.

FOOTBALL/BASKETBALL/BASEBALL

Huh???

Old 02-16-2009, 12:04 PM

231 posts, read 869,614 times
Only other problem? Where to play? If the powers that be couldn't decide on a downtown waterfront stadium?

Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 PM

153 posts, read 526,327 times
i would love an mlb team here.

i prefer watching basketball, but only on tv. baseball is much better in person, and it is affordable to go, great for families.

no chance of happening any time soon though, i can't imagine in this economy any expansion into a marginal market by any sport. i would bet we lose a team or two before gaining any new ones.

so, what would be the best name for an MLB team in Nashville?

Nashville Country?
The Pickers?
The Distillers?
Rascal Bats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville